• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Technical issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
It's easy enough to create a false account. Someone will give you a email account
Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that's enough to deal with all the concerns. Take this:

“People understand that the Disqus widget is a commenting system, but it’s also a tracking system. It follows a user’s activities across sites that use Disqus, even if the user is logged out,” says Downey. The info collected by Disqus includes IP address, browser version and installed plugins, and exit links — data Disqus refers to as “Non-Personally Identifiable Information.” However, this information can be used to de-anonymize users, when combined with third-party information. And because Disqus reserves the right to share you data with third-parties, such action could be taken. Furthermore, says Downey, “Disqus has come under fire for privacy issues after it published its users’ full commenting histories on user profile pages that were visible to the public.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/top-100-websites-how-are-they-tracking-you/

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, I dunno that its worth worrying about. Fact is, you're on the internet, and anything you do is scraped and analysed by thousands of bots, even if you're not logging into anything.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Well that's true to an extent I'm sure, but there are steps you can take to minimise your exposure. There are any number of cunning browser addons that hide your trail, not to mention VPNs. My point I guess was that the guest comment option let you be involved with the community without having strangers then follow you around the internet. You have to give an email address, but as Sully said it isn't hard to get a burner email to use.

It's not that important. I'm sure they had their reasons for removing the option, probably troll-related. And the world can live without my comments on the occasional rugby article.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
But mate if someone's gonna lock you up for your rugby commentary then the worlds fukt anyway!

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
But mate if someone's gonna lock you up for your rugby commentary then the worlds fukt anyway!

Ha, my rugby commentary isn't that memorable. I'm more concerned about the erosion of the private sphere, and hackers. I think there are plenty of reasons for people who aren't up to dodgy shit on the internet to still not want to be followed around it. I'm not saying you're doing it, but I don't trust any of the options there to mind their own business.

But trolls will be trolls, and fair enough you want to keep them away. Can't blame you there. And this is a rugby site, not wikileaks. Simple solution is I don't comment on blog articles and everybody is happy.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Your choice.

But FYI - you've registered on the forum (ID) and we have Google Adwords across it (uses cookies to track users and re target ads across the internet).
So if someone were to hack....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Your choice.

But FYI - you've registered on the forum (ID) and we have Google Adwords across it (uses cookies to track users and re target ads across the internet).
So if someone were to hack..

and then many use ad block and delete cookies each time the browser closes

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually a bit more research into Disqus suggests that they do honour the Do Not Track setting in your browser. Plus I have browser addons that deal with cookies, so even if they do change their mind on that it shouldn't affect me. I thought there was more to the tracking than cookies, but looks like there isn't.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
wow, all this technobabble is beyond me!

TLDR..should I be worried??:)

Probably not. You can check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ You type in your email address and they tell you if any sites it's been used for have been compromised.

But if you want to tighten your security/privacy settings there's a collection of easy and helpful tools here, free apart from the VPN services:

https://www.privacytools.io/

Everything in there from sensible little addons to full-scale tinfoil hat options depending on how deep you want to go. But if you're only a casual internet user you probably have more to worry about from clicking dodgy links in phishing emails.

Enough technobabble

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Probably not. You can check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/ You type in your email address and they tell you if any sites it's been used for have been compromised.

But if you want to tighten your security/privacy settings there's a collection of easy and helpful tools here, free apart from the VPN services:

https://www.privacytools.io/

Everything in there from sensible little addons to full-scale tinfoil hat options depending on how deep you want to go. But if you're only a casual internet user you probably have more to worry about from clicking dodgy links in phishing emails.

Enough technobabble

says oh no, been pwned on two sites. oh well dunno what that means. not too worried...:oops:

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
says oh no, been pwned on two sites. oh well dunno what that means. not too worried.:oops:

It means you should probably change the passwords on those two sites and make sure you aren't using the pwned passwords anywhere else. Can't be too careful.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
It means you should probably change the passwords on those two sites and make sure you aren't using the pwned passwords anywhere else. Can't be too careful.

thanks very much! have not visited them in years, thought they were dead (music sites) but turns out they are still going. Must have been thinking on another site that died. I do tend to keep the same password everywhere tho, so maybe I should be a little more security conscious in that regard.

but thanks actually for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.