• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Terrace cries "we won't play against big boys anymore"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As someone who:
A) never went to private school; and
B) Regularly faces opponents who outweigh even my considerable bulk

I see what you're saying leftside. But pride and passion will only get you so far when its boy versus man. The first duty of care for all officials, including referees, coaches, managers, and committee, is for safety of players. I'm not suggesting for a second that any school sends its kids out there unprepared, but when the size mismatches are more pronounced, people are going to get seriously hurt.

Two seasons ago at a local oval I watched West Harbour U14s play Norwest Bulls U14s. There are a LOT of Samoans at West Harbour, and up against the mixed races of Norwest it wasn't even a contest. Every single Norwest kid was giving away at least 10kg to his opposite number, and its a good thing there weren't contested scrums or it would have been utter carnage (instead of just regular carnage). The Norwest kids never gave up, but a couple of them were looking seriously shellshocked after the game.

T

TOCC

i was a 1st XV prop, and whilst i never complained about the size of players i was up against because i was very good technically, the thought of encountering someone like Paul Alo-Emile(120kg at 17) would have been quite intimidating.

R

rugbywhisperer

Tomorrow is apparently the day where they expose the school who flaunts the scholarship theme the most.
Guess who?

T

tranquility

Im not sure. But sorry to say it Rugbywhisperer but I think TSS will be up there.

I remember them bringing in a Danish rowing champion a couple of years ago, and also English national swimmers for GPS swimming as well as Indian spin bowlers for cricket. ha ha.

And your line about there 'academic' integrity is a little laughable. If I remember correctly the last time the OPs were released in the courier mail TSS were in the bottom 5% - and at this point it was the most expensive school in the state.

Damn good rugby side though. ha ha

R

rugbywhisperer

tranquility said:
Im not sure. But sorry to say it Rugbywhisperer but I think TSS will be up there.
I remember them bringing in a Danish rowing champion a couple of years ago, and also English national swimmers for GPS swimming as well as Indian spin bowlers for cricket. ha ha.
And your line about there 'academic' integrity is a little laughable. If I remember correctly the last time the OPs were released in the courier mail TSS were in the bottom 5% - and at this point it was the most expensive school in the state. Damn good rugby side though. ha ha

Not so, last year TSS were in the top 5% according to the new surveys. The only year in recent memory where things went bad a TSS was I believe 2005 (I think). Since then they have been very well up there. TSS actually cancel scholarships if the lads do not IMPROVE their academic rankings - so there. And I can say from experience that improvement must be in sport as well as academic.

Yes, this years side is a very damned good side, exceptional even but we shall leave that to the boys to settle.

R

rugbywhisperer

I read this on another forum and I think it says it all best: It is written by a guy who generally make good commonsense on 'that other forum'.
"I am going to add my two bobs worth here.
1: The Qld/Bris GPS comp has grown to be the pre-eminent schoolboy competition in Australia - no exceptions.
2: The quality of the players that come out of the GPS competition are supreme.
3: Had it not been for the strength of the Bris GPS comp I doubt Qld would be so superior at schoolboy nationals. This talent has been nurtured and trained in extreme conditions delivering players far superior to what they would have been had it not been for the 'system'.

Now, if those kiddies had stayed at their state schools and played club rugby, do we really think they would have developed into the players they are now - probably not (yes I answered my own question). Sure, the club scene 'may' have been stronger but what development to the clubs do in comparison to the GPS training. I believe very little in comparison.

Personally, I believe that the GPS system actually creates more top tier rugby players by actually targeting some kiddies that may have played league and converted them to rugby as well as giving additional development to kiddies who would otherwise have attended state schools and suffered the ignomy of club competition. Yes some slip through the cracks like Karmichel Hunt but generally they stay because they if they are good enough they are in the system. If they return to league they were never going to be a rugby player anyway.

At any given point in time there are only a certain (x) number of top tier players. Is it not better for those players to get the best competition and training available? And really, GPS is not stealing too manyplayers from the TAS or CAS systems. It's really the state schools and hence club rugby that loses as the GPS play Saturdays. And all this bunkum about not playing club. It is well known that the Brisbane GPS players do or have played club up until 16's so please, don't go that route. In tha arena, TSS based players would be the only losers as in Bris club rugger is played on Sunday while on the coast it is saturdays.

Sure, school is for learning however if you are good enough and can do the study (which is a prerequisite at most GPS schools, Nudgee may be different) then why not mix it with the best. There are plenty of examples of scholarship players losing their grant thru poor academic performance. And there are plenty of champion rugby players who owe their development in the formative years to the pressure cooker which is GPS rugby.

At the end of the day, it is about developing rugby players. If we don't want to develop then why have state academies. All the Bris GPS is in reality is an academy for the Qld (and the other state poaching bastards) academies. Nothing more, nothing less, and as Playercoach so eloquently said, if you can't handle the heat get the heck out of the kitchen. It's hot in there and only the best need apply.

End of rant."

Now I will add my two bobs worth.
Brisbane is dramatically different to Sydney in regard to junior rugby.
In Sydney, you have the individual districts (Eastwood, woods wood woods, Randwick, Gordon etc) who each have ether own very strong junior competitions.
In Brisbane, there is one competition and it is nowhere near the size and strength of the Sydney junior competitions.
Also, subbies like you have in Sydney are but a shadow in Brisbane.
Then there is the Gold Coast. While the GC Breakers play in the Bris Premier Comp, the GC Junior rugby is basically a shambles – or rather was and is gradually getting better. The problem is the GC is like the NW of Sydney in population and players so it can be compared to a division of Sydney.
The rest of Brisbane is not so secular and operates under the one single umbrella, BJRU which if that competed against the combined Sydney JRU would be butchered. There seems to be very little regional development here as opposed to Sydney.
Hence we have the school based competitions. They are by far the best quality there is to offer up here in the sunny state. By natural development, the GPS has become this behemoth that is now arguably the best in the country. The bulk of Qld schools players are GPS. This has come at a price.
While GPS in all likelihood doesn’t poach from other school systems it does try to get it’s hands on any state school player (with potential) or anyone else wavering.
Having said that, there are many parents (myself included) who sent their kids to a GPS school for any number of reasons. Our’s was a better education and sport development. Fortunately we hit the jackpot in both cases and we are very happy. But the point is - we would be there at a GPS school scholarship or not. We didn’t have it originally but because junior has been so wonderful and beneficial to the school in scoring points when most needed we now have one – albeit a minor one. It is reward for effort in our case. Junior went there in grade 2 so that can’t be classified as an import in any sense.

Oh – and please let’s not hear from all those Qld people who haven’t experience both systems bemoaning my comments as factually unsound..
They are different, very, very different. If you have not experienced the Sydney Junior Rugby system (or for that matter Sydney Shute Shield) then (no offence intended) you have no clue – it is bigger, better and far better managed.
In Qld, GPS rules to the extent that QLD junior players, nurtured by the GPS, AIC and TAS competitions have become the best in the country.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've just merged these two threads, in case anyone missed BRIX's comment on the first page
BRIX said:
I don't know what the hell is going on back home.

10 years ago, when I was still in school, poaching of young New Zealanders and Papua New Guinean talent was a common practice. Not only to offer them the oppertunity to make a career out of rugby, but also to afford the child an education.

I'm all about fair play and kids being able to play rugby in high school, but thats what the 2nd's, 3rd's and 4th's teams are for. Depriving talent a right to play rugby, get educated and maybe one day represent their adopted country in the name of fair play is hypcritical.

Sensationalistic, self righteouss quotes such as the one about the potential of children dying on the pitch is not only unprofessional but sick. This shit has been going on for years, keep your politics and scare tactics out of our schools.

http://www.news.com.au/national/dea...warns-headmaster/story-e6frfkvr-1225852508437

P

playa

tranquility said:

And your line about there 'academic' integrity is a little laughable. If I remember correctly the last time the OPs were released in the courier mail TSS were in the bottom 5% - and at this point it was the most expensive school in the state.

Damn good rugby side though. ha ha

you obviously dont have clue what you are talking about
the english government came over and looked at other schools: nudgee and churchie but chose tss to send their swimmers to.
tss did nothing to entice them. the british goverment paid their school fees in full thus not being imported or on scholarship. tss just got a lucky break.
and tss just had one dud yr off acedemics which was 05 but since then the academics have been quite solid
and i do not re call any indian imports for cricket

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Reddy! said:
I never went to a GPS school, but I respect what Terrace is doing and have always had a good experience whenever I have encountered Terrace boys or old boys compared to other schools around the place. I don't think winning rugby in high school should be no.1 on the agenda of schools. And it doesn't stop at rugby, what about swimming, athletics, etc etc.

I think scholarships should offer kids with a talent the opportunity to a good education at a supposed good school, and not be seen as a weapon to beat other schools.

There is alot of politics in GPS, AIC and any school that takes it's sport seriously. Having the right last name (son of a certain old boy) will get you far in sport, and sometimes the better athletes find themselves sitting on the sideline.

For the record I went to Marist Ashgrove, and it would be great if one day they were included in the GPS competition, but it'll never happen, too much politics involved, which I could go into, but it's not necessary for this thread.

I to am an old boy of Ashgrove and I hope that they never join the GPS comp!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I went to one the of Sydney GPS schools and im sick of the QLD schools being so damn good these days and whipping our arse. I say, ban imports in Queensland!

S

Spook

I remember playing the Queanbeyan Blues when I was about 6 or 7. Their team featured these 2 MASSIVE Maori boys. It was character building. ;)

G

Geronimo

playa said:
i do not re call any indian imports for cricket

You are either in denial or your memory is failing! There was a year when we had support from the sub-continent

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Firstly I will say that I went to Terrace and played in the 1st XV when other teams loved to play against us (not to many wins for us). Since then Terrace have put a lot of effort into developing the players that they have available and one of the great things this has done has allowed them to be competitive against other schools that provide scholarships to rugby players.

I am not against scholarships provided to junior sports stars. I think they are a fantastic opportunity for both the player and the students at the school to be provided with people from different backgrounds. My issue is when the players are treated as just players and not as students. The schools involved have a duty to provide these young men with a chance to achieve both on the field and in the classroom. Schools like TSS, IGS and Churchie seem to do this very well. Albert Anae is a great example of a scholarship holder who became a prefect at school and I think the school environment helped him develop personally. The dealings I have had with Nudgee and BSHS have not been so great. Some of the kids that get picked up on scholarships are told which subjects they must study and are not required to attend school on days that they don't have training. These schools should have a look at themselves and help these boys develop in the classroom as well.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm of two minds regarding this myself.

One, in the schools comp I played in, one team got dramatically better at about year 10, when there was a distinct increase of boer accents in the team. I was a little cynical about that at the time.

The other, if we really want to compete with League, we need to provide potential players with incentives to play rugby. Because of the longstanding traditions with the Private Schools and Universities, one of those incentives is education. Kurtley Beale is a great example of how this can help get players who (probably) would otherwise go to league, into the Rugby system.

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think that in this day and age with the game turning professional one of the many ways to attract people to play this game is to link it with education. I think that it provides the child with an education it might not have otherwise recieved then it can be a good thing to keep players in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.