• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ARU shafting forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Even setting aside the freakish circumstances surrounding his injury, Dunning's ongoing contractual negotiations with the ARU have highlighted how Australia continue to undervalue their front-rowers - despite the fact that most of the Wallabies' woes over the past five years can be traced back to a weak scrum.

"There is a massive discrepancy between what the front-rowers get and what the backs get in Australia. It's a massive difference. The offers aren't in the same ball park. I don't want to be paid what a Matt Giteau or a Lote Tuqiri gets. But you just want to feel like it's fair.

"The money on offer in Europe is double what's being offered here."

This is a bloody disgrace. The ARU have things backwards. Australian backs are the banking executives of rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
naza said:
Even setting aside the freakish circumstances surrounding his injury, Dunning's ongoing contractual negotiations with the ARU have highlighted how Australia continue to undervalue their front-rowers - despite the fact that most of the Wallabies' woes over the past five years can be traced back to a weak scrum.

"There is a massive discrepancy between what the front-rowers get and what the backs get in Australia. It's a massive difference. The offers aren't in the same ball park. I don't want to be paid what a Matt Giteau or a Lote Tuqiri gets. But you just want to feel like it's fair.

This is a bloody disgrace. The ARU have things backwards. Australian backs are the banking executives of rugby.
The inequities are a problem I agree, but I wonder if the Pudding man is overlooking the fact he has an Achilles tendon injury, which are notorious for taking ages to fix, and being likely to recur, especially doing what he does. It is possible they don't think his value is what it used to be. Besides his hair product expenses would be much lower than Giteau's so he really doesn't need as much... ;)

F

formeropenside

At least he has an ARU contract. Rodney Blake was mismanaged by Knuckles, not taken to the RWC, and lost his contract the next season.

I think Deans could have done some good things with Blake, if he had had the chance.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
naza said:

The inequities are a problem I agree, but I wonder if the Pudding man is overlooking the fact he has an Achilles tendon injury, which are notorious for taking ages to fix, and being likely to recur, especially doing what he does. It is possible they don't think his value is what it used to be. Besides his hair product expenses would be much lower than Giteau's so he really doesn't need as much... ;)

He actually comments on the injury being the ARU's fault due to the quality of the playing surface and hasn't ruled out suing. There was a joke about scrums & workplace injuries but I didn't want it to detract from the thrust of my skewed take on things.

He's got a wife & 3 kids, is no genius, 29 years old, so I'd say would be desperate to set himself up financially with his final playing contract.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
At least he has an ARU contract. Rodney Blake was mismanaged by Knuckles, not taken to the RWC, and lost his contract the next season.

I think Deans could have done some good things with Blake, if he had had the chance.

If Blake had enough of a work ethic, and got fit, and lost 10kgs of fat, he would have had an ARU contract.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
fatprop said:
formeropenside said:

If Blake had enough of a work ethic, and got fit, and lost 10kgs of fat, he would have had an ARU contract.

You forgot to mention that he needs to learn how to scrum.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Perhaps we are missing something here.

I don't think the ARU is the sole perpetrator in undervaluing the front rows.

Does anyone believe that the NZRU would pay Hayman the same as it pays Carter?

Or, would the Welsh front rowers be on the same money as Shane Williams?

In their pomps, would Vickery and Wilkinson got the same pay from the RFU?

Those are examples where, IMNSHO, the quality of front row and back is about the same.

If Topo or Link could be rejuvenated and given a run with the Wallabies, would anyone seriously think they should get the same pay as Giteau? Only me!

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:

Those are examples where, IMNSHO, the quality of front row and back is about the same.

If Topo or Link could be rejuvenated and given a run with the Wallabies, would anyone seriously think they should get the same pay as Giteau? Only me!

Ultimately, the problem is that many so-called rugby fans are not worthy of the game. If I want to watch skinny backs who cant tackle running around kicking a ball I will go watch AFL. I dont want that, I will happily watch scrummaging, rucking and mauling all day long. I used to love Qld rugby in the 90's. It was a thing of beauty.

Its not "entertainment", its sport.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Biffo said:

Ultimately, the problem is that many so-called rugby fans are not worthy of the game. If I want to watch skinny backs who cant tackle running around kicking a ball I will go watch AFL. I dont want that, I will happily watch scrummaging, rucking and mauling all day long. I used to love Qld rugby in the 90's. It was a thing of beauty.

Its not "entertainment", its sport.
And yet the Waratahs are derided for their forward based game that sees them second... Are you Chris Hickey?
Funnily enough it isn't the skinny backs who seem to be incapable of tackling. Horne, Barnes, Giteau et al don't do too badly. Even SNK technically isn't too bad. Mitchell, Beale and some others struggle, and those two at least wouldn't qualify as skinny.
I won't comment about the kicking, apart from saying it is generally execrable from most culprits.

T

TOCC

naza said:

well on the other hand, the australian backs are some of the best in the world, where as i cant say the same about the front row..

when was the last time that the Australian backs lost the game?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't begrudge a guy like Giteau his pay, particularly when you take into account all the experience lost to the Wallabies in playmaking positions in recent years. I do however think the ARU have continued to waste a ridiculous amount of money on an underperforming Tuqiri, who you could argue is not even in the top 3 wingers in this county - and lets face it wingers don't have that hard a job to start with.

I would expect 9s and 10s to command the most money, with all things being equal, probably followed by 2s and 15s. The rest are more or less even in importance. (Ok, I know everyone is of importance - but in which positions would you rather have a world class player?)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep, backs get more money, but they need it to pay for their hair care products and manicures.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
TOCC said:
naza said:

well on the other hand, the australian backs are some of the best in the world, where as i cant say the same about the front row..

when was the last time that the Australian backs lost the game?

The Australian backs are rubbish and the most overrated in world rugby. They have been coasting on reputation and a list of excuses bigger than Dunning's gut. Our forwards have improved in leaps and bounds while our backs have regressed. They are slow, ponderous, robotic, predictable, deficient in skill, creativity, flair, and support play. Our forwards carried the team last year only for soft Mr Whippy turds like Giteau to limply give games away with aimless kicks.

When was the last time they won us a game ? And the Ospreys humiliation (Australian rugby died that day - lest we forget) was thanks to awful work by the backs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Blue said:
fatprop said:
formeropenside said:

You forgot to mention that he needs to learn how to scrum.

Well at least he's got fos on here playing the violin for him :)

T

TOCC

They have been coasting on reputation and a list of excuses bigger than Dunning's gut. Our forwards have improved in leaps and bounds while our backs have regressed. They are slow, ponderous, robotic, predictable, deficient in skill, creativity, flair, and support play. Our forwards carried the team last year only for soft Mr Whippy turds like Giteau to limply give games away with aimless kicks.
we are talking about Australia not NSW

S

Spook

Dunning? Has he come good yet because I've been waiting for a long time and it hasn't happened.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Dunning? Has he come good yet because I've been waiting for a long time and it hasn't happened.

He was the second best THP in the country last year.

That makes him more important than any back.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Unfortunately, its not just about value on the paddock. Giteau and Lote are products off the field as well. Its sad but true. You rarely hear forwards making stupid comments and giggling for the camera yet every time rugby is mentioned on television, you have one of Tuqiri or Giteau saying something mindless. Dunning is the most talkative of the forwards but he has a head for radio. Chabal is marketable because of his mystique. Maybe one of the Aussie forwards should try something like that.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Biffo said:

I read a story around the time that Hayman left for Newcastle that tight head props are one of the highest paid positions in rugby, especially in the Top 14 in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.