• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure if anyone else has said this as I haven't read the entire thread, but if the Force are successful in raising $5 million with their fan ownership drive, what could the ARU raise by giving supporters the opportunity to own Australian rugby? $100 million? more? Is there any reason this isn't feasible?

Could potentially raise a considerable amount of money to put into a future fund that would shore up the financial position of the game indefinitely.

I don't know about the ARU but it would be an interesting model for the other Super Rugby franchises to investigate.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know about the ARU but it would be an interesting model for the other Super Rugby franchises to investigate.

Definitely, but the advantage of it being done at an ARU or central level is scale, and that most of the proceeds (or the regular distributions from a future fund) could be used to help fund the community game and develop pathways etc. It'd benefit the sport itself and not just a professional team.

T

TOCC

Rode past the new ARU HQ U/C at Moore Park, it's up to the third level and looking incredibly imposing.. there's a sense of irony in the new 5 story ARU HQ casting a shadow over the much smaller neighbouring Rugby League HQ given the respective finances of each code.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NRL clubs to lose a combined $34M

Eels = $11M
Bulldogs = $5.2M
Souths = $2.6M
Sharks = $500,000
Roosters = $3.2M
Dragons = $2M
Sea Eagles = $1.5M
Panthers = $5.4M
Tigers = $2.8M

So that's just the Sydney Clubs and thank god (for them) for leagues clubs because many are getting bailed out /underwritten/ guaranteed by them.

So that list above equates to the $34M and doesn't take into account the clubs that made money. Assuming some did.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Australian sporting landscape might look very different had it not been for the unregulated surge of licensed clubs and zillions of poker machines throughout NSW from the late fifties on.

Money was no object for many years, as far as rugby league was concerned.

I had a mate who played Sunday afternoon league for Guildford. After the match, the players lined up and the club manager paid them in cash, straight from machine takings. No record keeping, no tax problems, no regulation at all.

T

Train Without a Station

Just a note back on the cricket numbers.

I was reading this article by Brett Geeves:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...m/news-story/a1f4fa352d11422d46e933f5663dfa00

Anyway this particular sentence jogged my memory a little.

Having lived in the grade scene for the past five years and consistently being the second oldest in the competition, at age 29 onwards, I can tell you now that it has impacted club cricket enormously. So much so that Australia’s contracted players – international and domestic - contributed close to $20 million dollars from their player payment pool to feed the development of grade cricket, youth pathways, player welfare and a host of other areas.

Now I remember what Brett was talking about when the Cricket Players Association agreed to forgo part of their share in the revenue to fund grade cricket. Unfortunately I can't find any article so I can't get a timeline.

But I do wonder how much of what CA grants is actually this part of the players share that they have voluntarily given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.