• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The beginning of the end - AFL has stormed the ramparts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are media spies who periodically snoop around in these threads, based on the occasional article that is a direct (sometimes unattributed) quote lifted straight from a thread on G&GR.

I would not be surprised if ARU has their spies here, who post/lurk under deniable pseudonyms/avatars and gmail.com addresses, either as a hobby or as a work duty (intelligence gathering).

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
What are you smoking with this one - more likey some gager fool os quoting the paper and not attributing it

There are media spies who periodically snoop around in these threads, based on the occasional article that is a direct (sometimes unattributed) quote lifted straight from a thread on G&GR.

I would not be surprised if ARU has their spies here, who post/lurk under deniable pseudonyms/avatars and gmail.com addresses, either as a hobby or as a work duty (intelligence gathering).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If anyone has any doubt as to the plans of the AFL and more importantly their ability to carry out those plans. I spoke to an old friend of mine yesterday, hadn't seen him for a couple of years. His family is dyed in the wool league and has been for generations. His 13 year old son's main focus is not league, but Aussie Rules, he is in a Swans Academy programme and dad is very impressed by the way that the Swans/AFL organise sessions, look after players and communicate with parents. Dad would love him to be playing league, but...

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)

In Australia, I am aware of six national rugby teams, Schoolboys, u20's, men's and women's 15 a side and men's and women's 7 a side.

There are six main coaches involved here with a plethora of other ancillary helpers.
Of the six head or team coaches, I personally know two (2) who are not only members on here but regularly contribute, as well as five parents of current wallabies and at least 8 current or recently discarded wallabies / super 15 players who regularly contribute.

The forum is not as oblique as many might think.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No surprises there churchills cigar. Gaggerland is after all the Worlds Best Rugby Blog.
Who wouldn't want to be reading, posting and wanging here?

The beauty of anonymous pseudonyms. Who is Brian (the ARU "spies")?

Cue the crucifixion scene at the end of Monty Python's The Life of Brian.

CENTURION: Where is Brian of Nazareth?!
BRIAN: You sanctimonious bastards!
CENTURION: I have an order for his release!
BRIAN: You stupid bastards!
MR. CHEEKY: Uh, I'm Brian of Nazareth.
BRIAN: What?!
MR. CHEEKY: Yeah, I-- I-- I'm Brian of Nazareth.
CENTURION: Take him down!
BRIAN: I'm Brian of Nazareth!
VICTIM #1: Eh, I'm Brian!
MR. BIG NOSE: I'm Brian!
VICTIM #2: Look, I'm Brian!
BRIAN: I'm Brian!
VICTIMS: I'm Brian!
GREGORY: I'm Brian, and so's my wife!
VICTIMS: I'm Brian! I'm Brian!...
CENTURION: All right. Take him away and release him.
MR. CHEEKY: No, I'm only joking. I'm not really Brian. No, I'm not Brian. I was only-- It was a joke. I'm only pulling your leg! It's a joke! I'm not him! I'm just having you on! Put me back! Bloody Romans! Can't take a joke!

Source: http://www.montypython.net/brianmm3.php

Well I thought it was funny and relevant.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Attention any ARU or NSWRU operatives or minions reading this thread. You've done almost nothing to expand the game in southern and western Sydney in the last 40 years. League and soccer are miles ahead and Aussie Rules are making up for lost time. You can't just rely on the northern and eastern suburbs and 14 GPS/CAS schools to supply your players.

Do something!

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Attention any ARU or NSWRU operatives or minions reading this thread. You've done almost nothing to expand the game in southern and western Sydney in the last 40 years. League and soccer are miles ahead and Aussie Rules are making up for lost time. You can't just rely on the northern and eastern suburbs and 14 GPS/CAS schools to supply your players.

Do something!

The AFL are holding a trial at my boys school today (CCC school in the Sutherland Shire). Not sure of the details but only a handful of Boys have been selected to trial. The school is traditionally a rugby league school.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The AFL are holding a trial at my boys school today (CCC school in the Sutherland Shire). Not sure of the details but only a handful of Boys have been selected to trial. The school is traditionally a rugby league school.
with a litte more notice we might have been able to do something;) : I'd rather they were playing league than AFL

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Th AFL have made a pitch for the private/Saturday sport playing schools and have now obviously realised the huge numbers of students in CHS and CCC schools. These schools are typically short on resources and the sports programmes are held together by a few dedicated teachers. If a sporting body, be it AFL, ARL, ARU or FFA comes to them and offers them support, they'll take it.

The AFL recently paid for a synthetic pitch inside a local CHS school, which used to have a rugby programme which produced players such as Luke Holmes and Pek Cowan.

There is also my mates son in post 44 at a CCC school.

These examples illustrate the magnitude of the problem facing the new commission and the incoming CEO.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Th AFL have made a pitch for the private/Saturday sport playing schools and have now obviously realised the huge numbers of students in CHS and CCC schools. These schools are typically short on resources and the sports programmes are held together by a few dedicated teachers. If a sporting body, be it AFL, ARL, ARU or FFA comes to them and offers them support, they'll take it.

The AFL recently paid for a synthetic pitch inside a local CHS school, which used to have a rugby programme which produced players such as Luke Holmes and Pek Cowa

There is also my mates son in post 44 at a CCC school.

These examples illustrate the magnitude of the problem facing the new commission and the incoming CEO.

Quickhands,

With regard to your post #44 - indeed it was (as much information as my boy would give me) a trial for The Sydney Swans development academy.

Two instructors (apparently one was an ex player) went through technical sessions - kicking, jumping, marking with three boys. The boys were selected by one of the sports teachers who follows AFL.

They were impressed by all the boys are we're told to practice in the summer in preparation for the develoment squad next year. They were given an AFL match ball (the $80 - $100 ones). Now my boy is kicking that around the place - like we need more balls to add to the collection.

Wait and see how this develops. You cannot dismiss an opportunity comes knocking on the door. Although in a practical sense next year will be a year (U16) my boy will have to start making choices between codes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Quickhands,

With regard to your post #44 - indeed it was (as much information as my boy would give me) a trial for The Sydney Swans development academy.

Two instructors (apparently one was an ex player) went through technical sessions - kicking, jumping, marking with three boys. The boys were selected by one of the sports teachers who follows AFL.

They were impressed by all the boys are we're told to practice in the summer in preparation for the develoment squad next year. They were given an AFL match ball (the $80 - $100 ones). Now my boy is kicking that around the place - like we need more balls to add to the collection.

Wait and see how this develops. You cannot dismiss an opportunity comes knocking on the door. Although in a practical sense next year will be a year (U16) my boy will have to start making choices between codes.

You can't blame schools, boys or parents if they take opportunities which are presented to them.

I imagine that similar trials would be taking place at a number of CHS and CCC schools. The Swans are doing what a professional sporting team should be doing. The Waratahs need to be doing the same, particularly at CHS and CCC schools where rugby is not played at a significant level.

Many of these schools might have a rugby team which plays 1 or 2 knockout matches a year or might not even have a rugby team. The teachers/sportsmasters at these schools generally don't have the coaches, resources or time to run a private school type rugby programme. This is where the Waratahs or NSWRU need to step and identify talent.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
No surprises there churchills cigar. Gaggerland is after all the Worlds Best Rugby Blog.
Who wouldn't want to be reading, posting and wanging here?

The beauty of anonymous pseudonyms. Who is Brian (the ARU "spies")?

Cue the crucifixion scene at the end of Monty Python's The Life of Brian.

CENTURION: Where is Brian of Nazareth?!
BRIAN: You sanctimonious bastards!
CENTURION: I have an order for his release!
BRIAN: You stupid bastards!
MR. CHEEKY: Uh, I'm Brian of Nazareth.
BRIAN: What?!
MR. CHEEKY: Yeah, I-- I-- I'm Brian of Nazareth.
CENTURION: Take him down!
VICTIM #1: Eh, I'm Brian!
MR. BIG NOSE: I'm Brian!
VICTIM #2: Look, I'm Brian!
BRIAN: I'm Brian!
VICTIMS: I'm Brian!
GREGORY: I'm Brian, and so's my wife!
VICTIMS: I'm Brian! I'm Brian!.
CENTURION: All right. Take him away and release him.
MR. CHEEKY: No, I'm only joking. I'm not really Brian. No, I'm not Brian. I was only-- It was a joke. I'm only pulling your leg! It's a joke! I'm not him! I'm just having you on! Put me back! Bloody Romans! Can't take a joke!

Source: http://www.montypython.net/brianmm3.php

Well I thought it was funny and relevant.
Settle Down Hugh...
Everyone knows that I'M BRIAN

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Do something!
They Did!!!!
They got together and changed voting rights for the States as per the Arbib report. Honestly, can't you just remind your kids that they will, if they ever succeed, more than likely have to go to Melbourne... Worked a treat for my sons. :)

Aah Melbourne... Formed by Tasmanians that broke down on their way to the Gold Coast

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
My view is that the ARU/Tahs should be contracting the district clubs to develop rugby in thier natural catchment (they should be anyway). This would allow the District clubs to leverage off people they already want to retain full time.

It brings me to my favourite topic and that is how the SD management helped the SS/Wollongong CCC U16 team win the CCC trials. They took a strong interest in the boys (encouraging them to join SD colts when they left school) and put together an alright team (needed more time together). This model should be extended to a district schools competition where the district can keep an eye on player development and coaching.

As said by others the CHS and CCC are not going to resource and run their own program, if the district can do that for them the school can take credit for offering the program (which is all they want).

On numbers CCC and CHS should give GPS and CAS a hiding every year in the school comps. it's just that rugby is a very team sport and the more you play it as a team the better the team gets, it just needs the time.

I think that this would be a low cost way of building rugby in schools and allows the district clubs to build people resources in their organisations (ie full time coaches/managers etc). The ARU would then provide governance over the contracted clubs, to make sure they delivered on the contract.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It brings me to my favourite topic and that is how the SD management helped the SS/Wollongong CCC U16 team win the CCC trials. They took a strong interest in the boys (encouraging them to join SD colts when they left school) and put together an alright team (needed more time together). This model should be extended to a district schools competition where the district can keep an eye on player development and coaching.

When was this?
I am hearing about a fantastic level of enthusiasm, good structure and excellent personnel at Southern - they may be a benchmark: and what a great area to have a well structured strong club!

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Inside,

This was in the lead up to the 21 and 22 May CCC carnival at UWS Richmond.
It struck me at the time as a good "benchmark" to model. For isnstance if a district club wanted a full time Colts Coach/development officer/manager maybe the ARU could provide some of the funds under contract (by cutting some of the other elite programs) conditional on this position running a CHS CCC program. The position would then have very good insight into who and what is going on in their district as a feeder to their colts teams.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My view is that the ARU/Tahs should be contracting the district clubs to develop rugby in thier natural catchment (they should be anyway). This would allow the District clubs to leverage off people they already want to retain full time.

As said by others the CHS and CCC are not going to resource and run their own program, if the district can do that for them the school can take credit for offering the program (which is all they want).

On numbers CCC and CHS should give GPS and CAS a hiding every year in the school comps. it's just that rugby is a very team sport and the more you play it as a team the better the team gets, it just needs the time.

I think that this would be a low cost way of building rugby in schools and allows the district clubs to build people resources in their organisations (ie full time coaches/managers etc). The ARU would then provide governance over the contracted clubs, to make sure they delivered on the contract.

Well done Southern Districts. This is the model of how you spread the game and once ther'e playing in school, you have well supported village clubs for them to play in. It provides all the players for your colts teams.

This is where the the $600,000 the AUR spends on the National Academy should be spent.

As I said on another thread, think of all the development officers in southern and western Sydney, Brisbane, regional areas, Melbourne and Perth that could be provided to assist in the wider implementation of a programme like Southern Districts did for the SS/Wollongong CCC 16s.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Inside,

This was in the lead up to the 21 and 22 May CCC carnival at UWS Richmond.
It struck me at the time as a good "benchmark" to model. For isnstance if a district club wanted a full time Colts Coach/development officer/manager maybe the ARU could provide some of the funds under contract (by cutting some of the other elite programs) conditional on this position running a CHS CCC program. The position would then have very good insight into who and what is going on in their district as a feeder to their colts teams.

NSWRU used to give the district clubs a grant ($30,000 I think) for their colts programme, but cut it out about 10 years ago. They also used to give each club a grant to employ a development officer and I think they cut that out as well.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Quick,
That's a shame.
I wouldn't provide money for vague outcomes like "development". It would have be to develop and run a local CCC and CHS comp., it may only be 6 teams hence 5 games a season, but it would have to be delivered to get the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.