• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Brumbies - can they do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
They can't do it. I can't see the Brumbies winning this competition after being talked up so much by their fans and the media. Making the top 4 is also going to be a bit of a stretch, and lack of BPs will hurt.

Their 2 most experienced players - Smith and Mortlock - haven't been in the best of form and are now injured, with no time frame put on their time out.

They have failed to score a 4 try bonus point despite playing some games at home against poor opposition.

Giteau is not in match winning form.

Their forward pack, with the exception of Rocky and perhaps Hoiles, is not dominating games.

Injuries has forced the backline to reshuffle. At this stage of the competition you want stability in your team. The Tahs have found this.

Their half backs are kack.

They still have to play the Hurricanes, Tahs, Reds and Saders.

I will however gladly withdraw everything I have said, and delete this thread if the Brumbies beat the Cheetahs by 100+ points this coming weekend.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reddy! said:
I will however gladly withdraw everything I have said, and delete this thread if the Brumbies beat the Cheetahs by 100+ points this coming weekend.

A ridiculous statement. Those I suppose you are exaggerating to make a point.

30 points or more with 4 trys in there would show me the Brumbies are on track. The Cheetahs aren't an awful team and they could have Smith back.

W

Wazimba2K

:bootyshake :bootyshake :bootyshake

That table appears to be a numbers game. I tried to do the numbers in my head and it was just awful. Those bonus points are killing us. For us to make it, some teams have to lose and some just have to win.

Making to the top four will be a gamble that can be pulled off but once again, we struggle with poor teams like the Lions and Cheetah's!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i don't think they can. but i also don't think the tahs or reds can either.

S

Spook

I think the forwards have been pretty good. One of the better packs in the comp. The other positive thing is that the Brumbies haven't played anywhere near their potential but have only lost as many games as the table topping tahs.

In saying all that, Super rugby is about bonus points and the Brumbies have problems scoring tries. It needs to be addresed against the cheetahs otherwise it's curtains.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Brumbies win 5 of 6 and total 2 BPs, they will be very close indeed to the four. Win 5 of 6 and 3 BPs and they will be in. Alternatively, 6 wins would make them a certainty. Four wins and four BPs would leave them precarious.

They will be helped by teams above them knocking each other over .... but .... they have a problem

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies vs Cheetahs
Brumbies vs Hurricanes*
Waratahs vs Brumbies*
Brumbies vs Reds*
Brumbies vs Highlanders
Crusaders vs Brumbies*

Crusaders vs Waratahs*
Waratahs vs Brumbies*
Highlanders vs Waratahs
Chiefs vs Waratahs*
Waratahs vs Hurricanes*

Lions vs Reds
Reds vs Bulls*
Reds vs Stormers*
Brumbies vs Reds*
Hurricanes vs Reds*
Reds vs Highlanders

Each side has some bloody good games coming up.

They better show some fluidity in attack this week and rack up some points or they are no chance

Can the Brumbies do it?

I doubt it, not enough bonus points and they can't afford to lose another match and they better show some fluidity in attack this week and rack up some points or they are simply no chance

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
louie said:
i don't think they can. but i also don't think the tahs or reds can either.

I like your attitude. "If I die, I'm taking you fuckers with me!!"

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
en_force_er said:
Reddy! said:

A ridiculous statement. Those I suppose you are exaggerating to make a point.

30 points or more with 4 trys in there would show me the Brumbies are on track. The Cheetahs aren't an awful team and they could have Smith back.

Nah, they are pretty bloody bad. The only thing that saved them last week on the scoreboard was the rain, and the tahs still managed to put 5 tries on them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree Reddy. I think they looked very bloody bad.

Didn't have anyone with any go forward or any chance to make a line break.

C

Calexico

Much as it pains me to say it I don't think they will make it. They'll probably win as many games (or more) as two teams who finish ahead of them and miss out yet again due to a lack of bonus points.

I still remember the early days of S12 when I loved bonus points (because the Brumbies always got them)- now I hate them.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh I think overall, BPs are good for the competition. I think the main aspect of the Brumbies season I'm disappointed in is Matt Giteau not having the same impact he had for the Force. Anyway I guess I'll keep coming back to this thread over the next few weeks and review their chances.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The bonus point system is OK in my book but I like the Top14 system even better.

In the Top 14 you don't get the try bonus point unless you score 3 more tries than the opposition.

That builds in a factor for defence because you know you are not going to get a try bonus point it you have 4 tries and the other mob gets 2. You have to keep working on defence when you are 3 tries in front because one try from opponents can rub it out. It is humorous to watch sometimes when teams have to get on their bikes when they have been loafing with a clear win and 3 tries ahead with a few minutes to go and the oppo scores a try.

In Round 2 of the Super14 this year there were 18 tries scored in an execrable game of rugby wherein neither team wanted to tackle. The Lions and the Chiefs both "earned" try bonus points but neither deserved a bonus for what they did that day - or rather, for what they didn't do.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I must admit I have been wondering how the attacking and defensive bonus points work in the top 14. But never enough to go look it up so thanks Lee.

We complain about some of the commentating in the Super 14 but gee the ones that cover the Top 14 on Eurosport or HC games on ESPN can be bad. Did like Nick Berry when he did a game though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
the gambler said:
We complain about some of the commentating in the Super 14 but gee the ones that cover the Top 14 on Eurosport or HC games on ESPN can be bad. Did like Nick Berry when he did a game though.

Yeah - Berry was good, and yeah the main commentators are hopeless. The French co-commentator is barely audible sometimes, but the French guy they used last year, Florent Rossigneux, was superb.

Eurosports often commentate from their Paris studios; so they get some of the Racing-Metro players to be co-commentators. They use Simon Mannix, RM assistant coach, sometimes and he is excellent, but I haven't heard him lately.

In a way I have heard Mannix commentate recently: the weekend before last RM were playing Brive at home and he was bellowing at his players and helping the referees with a voice like a sergeant major, and the audio picked it up. The TV commentators gave him a bit of friendly stick for it too.

But we digress.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Brumbies are gone for the title.

They'd have to win one away and two home and pick up at least two bonus points to make the four. Then they'd have to win a semi and a final in SA. The way they are playing now that just won't happen.

By the end of the round there will be a four point gap between 3rd and 4th. One of the Aussie teams should get that but on games to play and performance on the park it will likely be Reds or Tahs. The Blues are still a smokey for 4th if they can nail five points this week. They have an easy run in after that, albeit on the road in SA, and putting aside last week's performance they are well-credentialled. But, I can't see them being consistent for the next four weeks and if the Force do them they are gone.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The question now, from my perspective anyway, is can the Reds win in Canberra?

Yeah why not, we've been playing good rugby & everyone has been waiting for the Reds to stumble sure we still have to beat the Bulls tonight but on form the Reds should beat the Brumbies.

Brumbies are the complete opposite to the Reds, they were meant to be table toppers & everyone has waited for them to click into gear but it's just not happening & it never happened last year either.

After last night against the Canes I can't see how the Brumbies are going to turn it around. I can't think of 1 game this year were the Brumbies have looked fluent in attack.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
disco said:
The question now, from my perspective anyway, is can the Reds win in Canberra?

Yeah why not, we've been playing good rugby & everyone has been waiting for the Reds to stumble sure we still have to beat the Bulls tonight but on form the Reds should beat the Brumbies.

Brumbies are the complete opposite to the Reds, they were meant to be table toppers & everyone has waited for them to click into gear but it's just not happening & it never happened last year either.

After last night against the Canes I can't see how the Brumbies are going to turn it around. I can't think of 1 game this year were the Brumbies have looked fluent in attack.
Remember The Reds are cursed and if The Brumbies click once this year guess which game it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.