• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Conference System: Success or Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Throughout this season there have been many vocal critics of the conference system. These critics have alleged that it has cheapened the finals format and assisted teams from supposedly weaker, less even conferences.

However with one week of round-robin rugby to play, I think it's fairly obvious that this format has been a success. The best 7 teams in the comp are still in contention for the finals, with the best teams from each country currently occupying a top three position. Moreover, as long as the Tahs beat the Brumbies we'll have the six finals spots shared evenly amongst the three SANZAR nations. The Reds currently sit 1st, and deservedly so considering they have beaten all the other top teams.

I think a few people across the interweb, myself included, owe SANZAR an apology for criticising this format prematurely.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hiya AC, yep I have come to conclusion it a real sucess, I think the only real complaint will come if a team wins their conference and aren't in top 4-5 teams, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hiya AC, yep I have come to conclusion it a real sucess, I think the only real complaint will come if a team wins their conference and aren't in top 4-5 teams, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

Hi Dan. Yeah that would be an issue, but highly unlikely. I think there was just two weekends this season when the three conference leaders weren't also the top 3 teams overall. And the only reason I remember that was because my team, the Crusaders, was 4th despite having a point more than the 3rd placed conference leader at the time, the Stormers.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Great success. More rugby and the quality from all teams (bar brumbies) has really lifted. Great for SH rugby.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think a few people across the interweb, myself included, owe SANZAR an apology for criticising this format prematurely.

At this stage, AC, you can include me out of an apology.

I'll consider apologising to SANZAR only after they apologise to me for selling my sport to Rupert Bloody Murdoch.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At this stage, AC, you can include me out of an apology.

I'll consider apologising to SANZAR only after they apologise to me for selling my sport to Rupert Bloody Murdoch.

I guess my point was that the system has been as bad as people such as myself initially thought it might be.

And as for Murdoch, whilst I agree with your sentiment there are people that would argue that News Ltd's involvement in SANZAR rugby has been hugely beneficial to the code in the Southern Hemisphere. But that's pronably something worthy of its own discussion.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think there needs to be a week off between the semi and the grand final like the Superbowl. Home factor means it's near impossible for a team to win away in the final travelling to/from SA to Aus/NZ.

Travel has always been a massive factor in Super Rugby. Why change that? If a team does enough to host a final they deserve some advantage.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I guess my point was that the system has been as bad as people such as myself initially thought it might be.

And as for Murdoch, whilst I agree with your sentiment there are people that would argue that News Ltd's involvement in SANZAR rugby has been hugely beneficial to the code in the Southern Hemisphere. But that's pronably something worthy of its own discussion.

I knew exactly where you were coming from, AC.

I'm just filthy on all the people who have debased my sport by treating it as a business - invariably badly run - and/or as an entertainment vehicle. And particularly filthy on Murdoch who has zero interest in sport and has systematically debased journalistic standards around the world.

T

Thomotah

I think alot of the criticism has been mixed up with the politics of Australia getting a 5th team. How quickly some forget how bad other countries teams have been in other years and how hard it is for a new team to make an impact in year 1. Rebels have been a success by any reasonable measure and we haven't even started filling them out with Argies for the possible 4 nations.

Even the crying about team x missing playing team y has not really been more of an issue than the prior situation where some teams had 7 home games and others had 6 and some teams had to play 3 matches in RSA and others just 2.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels have been a success by any reasonable measure and we haven't even started filling them out with Argies for the possible 4 nations.

I would seriously like to know why you say this.

Look like a very shaky start.

They need Beale to save them. Let's hope he even gets the ball next year.

Reactions: DPK
C

chriscullen

I'm not totally convinced although I agree this years comp has been fantastic. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer the old way where everyone plays everyone. Maybe to ensure no byes the bottom side each year can be demoted to play in the six nations the following year.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IMO the system is better than the one it has replaced, simply because it will eliminate the situation we have seen in the past where a team may make the finals winning less games and scoring less points on the basis of a lucky draw and a few bonus points. This format with the longer season has the real cream rising to the top. The top two are decided but there is a mad scramble for the rest of the spots and nobody could say any of those in contention do not deserve to be there as has previously sometimes been the case.

There is no doubt that it could be fine tuned, but I have been happy with the competition as a whole. All the teams have had a few shockers but they have all pulled out some great games as well.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Rebels started pretty average, then they were a bit up and down, but now they are really awful. Very sad to see. But they'll be a different team next year after this years experience and some new players.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels have done alright considering the players they had.

I like the conference system, and I think it will only get better next year with each team playing 2 extra games.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I consider the format to be a success and have really enjoyed this season. The quality of the rugby has been high and the finals race gripping to the end, though I certainly hope the Tahs can get the win next week and advance to the next stage. Others may disagree and that is their right, but I believe it has been a net positive for the code in this part of the world.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One thing to consider and it could be completely unrelated but this has been one of the worst seasons of injuries.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One thing to consider and it could be completely unrelated but this has been one of the worst seasons of injuries.

Has it really been though? I know 2009 and 2010 were arguably worse for the Crusaders, despite our shocking toll this season. I'd need some evidence before saying that this year has been worse than previous seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.