• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Cordingly contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
Major Spliff Biggins said:
What has Tahu done to suggest he is a capable inside centre?

He had one great game against ordinary opposition when playing for Aus A. That is all.
I'm not suggesting he'll never get there, but what merits his current inclusion?

And Frontdoor, Chiselhead, Hurricane, The Saint, whatever your name is- I wasn't suggesting the topic wasn't one worthy of discussion, more that your identity is obvious.

Since when is the NZ Maori "ordinary", his "merits" is his form for Aus A.

The game being referred to above was the 90 point game put on Tonga.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What LB offers (his list of good points) far outweighs his bad one, even if it is a very important one. It's like playing a fullback who hasn't got a great kick. But I'd still pick Christian Cullen, wouldn't you?

Have to disagree. There is no way that you can ever outweigh a poor pass in a half with other benefits. It completely disables a backline.

I would compare it to picking a Hooker that can?t throw, a Prop that can?t scrum (yes, I know ours aren?t great at this - but they are the best we?ve got) or an Openside that can?t tackle rather than a fullback that can?t kick well (afterall we picked Adam Ashley Cooper).

Actually in saying the last bit, I noticed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?s kicking seemed to have improved a lot to being at an acceptable level for a FB. It showed that he could improve in this area with hard work ? the point is this ? isn?t it a massive concern that Burgess hasn?t managed a big improvement despite what I assume would be a lot of hard work in this area?

He is still the best option at this stage, but there will be no anointing him the next great Wallaby halfback from this fan until he picks this area of his game up greatly, and I?m assuming most fans, coaches and commentators will be in the same boat.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty said:
What LB offers (his list of good points) far outweighs his bad one, even if it is a very important one. It's like playing a fullback who hasn't got a great kick. But I'd still pick Christian Cullen, wouldn't you?

Have to disagree. There is no way that you can ever outweigh a poor pass in a half with other benefits. It completely disables a backline.

I would compare it to picking a Hooker that can?t throw, a Prop that can?t scrum (yes, I know ours aren?t great at this - but they are the best we?ve got) or an Openside that can?t tackle rather than a fullback that can?t kick well (afterall we picked Adam Ashley Cooper).

Actually in saying the last bit, I noticed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?s kicking seemed to have improved a lot to being at an acceptable level for a FB. It showed that he could improve in this area with hard work ? the point is this ? isn?t it a massive concern that Burgess hasn?t managed a big improvement despite what I assume would be a lot of hard work in this area?

He is still the best option at this stage, but there will be no anointing him the next great Wallaby halfback from this fan until he picks this area of his game up greatly, and I?m assuming most fans, coaches and commentators will be in the same boat.
I agree with you Scotty, and what worries me is that he admits this himself - he has been quoted as saying his passing has not been his strongest point. MAKE IT SO! You're a professional player, practise more! Applies also to TPN apologists about his wayward lineout throws.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Cords had a good game & Sheehan was ok at best. Tahu is a good player & i'm more then happy to see him start at 12 this week in what is basically a dead rubber. Our defence did go to shit when he came on in Durban.

Tahu is a good hitter but he got stood up twice once by Steyn & then by De Villiers & looked lost when we had to defend inside the 22 area.

It will be interesting to see how he goes from the start of a match.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Lindommer, I'd be happy to announce that Burgess is our future long term halfback if he had a good pass, but he doesn't and it worries me that he hasn't managed to get it together consistently - it really is the half's no 1 job and required skill. If he can't prove his consistency in this area he is only going to be a stop gap until someone comes along that can.

The only problem with Burgess' pass is the lack of organisation in the Wallaby attack. With his focus on getting the ball out ASAP, he doesn't have time to adjust and go 'whoops, its not Gits, its friggin' Sharpey at stand off again or hello, Gits is doing one of his 20 metre sideways shuffles'. Next time Burgess plays, have a look at the chaos at first receiver - its a deadset joke.

Cordingly's pass was not so hot - it lacked for distance and was at the player rather than in front, robbing us further of momentum. Compounded with the eons it took for him to setup for the pass, our attack was static and predictable and we lacked go forward. Pick your poison.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
naza said:
Cordingly's pass was not so hot - it lacked for distance and was at the player rather than in front, robbing us further of momentum. Compounded with the eons it took for him to setup for the pass, our attack was static and predictable and we lacked go forward. Pick your poison.

Must be coincidence - George Gregan is going to be doing a book signing at work tomorrow :nta:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noticed on Inside Rugby tonight the Wallabies two backs' tries were scored off scrums while Sheehan was on the park. He gave two fast, accurate passes to Giteau who then passed the pill to the try scorers. Neither time did he let the pill hatch at the back of the scrum as Gregan and Cordingley are want to do. For all his faults we can't ask for much more from a half back.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah I actually thought Sheehan went pretty well given he has only been playing for some pretty average club team :fishing

We all know his faults but he didnt give one penalty away, he didnt put in a stupid box kick that I can remember but he did put in a nice touch finder to relieve a bit of pressure and his passes were generally crisp and clean. As you say Lindon thats about all you can ask for from a replacement half.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
the gambler said:
Yeah I actually thought Sheehan went pretty well given he has only been playing for some pretty average club team :fishing

We all know his faults but he didnt give one penalty away, he didnt put in a stupid box kick that I can remember but he did put in a nice touch finder to relieve a bit of pressure and his passes were generally crisp and clean. As you say Lindon thats about all you can ask for from a replacement half.

I ask for more: not falling off tackles (one directly leading to a try), and not passing the ball on an overlap to an opposing player.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
cyclopath said:
Scotty said:

I agree with you Scotty, and what worries me is that he admits this himself - he has been quoted as saying his passing has not been his strongest point. MAKE IT SO! You're a professional player, practise more! Applies also to TPN apologists about his wayward lineout throws.

Exhibit A - Justin Marshall.

I think LB has the mechanics of a good pass and he can still work on the speed of it if he is to be the long term option. He may not be though?? I think he brings a robustnesss to the halfback spot for OZ and thats something that hasn't been sen since Gregan had a flat top. LB is quicker IMO than the likes of Sheehan and Cords.

I don't think the fact he may have made what appears to be a negative reference to his passing game is such a bad thing. You can tell from his public comments and interviews that he is a thinker of the game for such a young guy.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
When Burgess revolutionised the Tahs backline this year I went apeshit about him. He still looked good in the opening internationals, but the 3N put the expected extra pressure on the pack and himself. I found myself questioning his decision making, passing and composure under the high ball.

However, having watched Cordingly the last couple of tests - who I reckon has given an average/respectable-ish international 9's performance - I now remember what Burgess gave us: about and extra 3 seconds and fluidity - two invaluable assets in today's game.

Burgo's consistently third man to the breakdown and doesn't wait for the ball to be presented to get in and reef it out. It's been so frustrating watching Cordingly wait for the pill to pop out, organise a pillar, look up to where he's going to pass, down to the ball again and then clear. Giteau or Palu then get static ball and the rest is frustrating history.

I've also been waiting to be wowed by Vanilla Gregan's pass and haven't been. The time and go forward Burgess buys is definitely worth the odd dodgy pass.

On top of that, where's the running game? I don't remember one snipe from Joburg (although I am slowly erasing it from my memory)

Status
Not open for further replies.