• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Our Saffers are a outside lot. We obvious love our sport and sure have a passion for rugby.Thats not the only one we have and myself have the same passion when it comes to food. Love making food and tried it in the kichen but Ma chase me away there. She obvious also love making food and said myself always make to much dirt dished , pans , table or what we call skottelgoed. That dont stop me at all and just do it nowadays outside and on the fire. Thats where you'll find me on a sunday afternoon , come heil, rain, winter , summer. Litting my fire and busy with my potjie, spitter or braaing (hate the word bbq, so I'll stick with braai).

Anyway after the biltong request I am more then open with anything food wise, not a professional kok (also a word I hate, they teach me in the army you'll only find those in your pants) but have plenty of recepies for food making on the fire or coals.

Always heard in these parts that Australia is the closest to SA weatherwise and think you lot will also be the outside type like us.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We also love our meat. Was taught from baby day that you first buy meat then the rest of your groceries. Meat is the main ingredient in any Saffers freezed and chicken is part of veggies. Anyway I post this recepies on TSF and got it from my butcher in Paarl, I do see Andies Krogmann , a TV kosmaker in SA , a lot of times and he bought his meat from the same butcher. A Hollander (Dutchman) but he provides the best biltong, droee wors, boerewors or braai chops, sosaties (kebabs) or even cheese sausage in town.

BILTONG (You use the silver & top side of the beef for biltong cuts.)

PLAIN BOERE BILTONG

Salt, pepper & coriander Mix:
2 kg coarse salt
250 ml Coriander - NB, seed, not leaf
250 ml Roasted (in a pan a bit) coriander
125 ml fine pepper

That is your basic biltong mix.

Wilds Biltong
Add 50/50 Vinegar & Worcester sauce to let the meat lose its wild taste

Nico VleisKombuis Beef Biltong Spice
10kg coarse salt
700g fine black pepper
200g brown sugar
100g Cayenne pepper
1kg from the basic spice as a bove

Mini Biltong Sticks
5 kg Meat
150 ml Vinegar
150 ml Worcester Sauce
200g Spice as above
50g usual Braai Spice

Chilli Bites
1 kg BBQ spice
8 Table Spoons Cayenne pepper
2 Eetlepls brown sugar
2 Cups fine salt

Use this on 5 kg raw meat with
150ml Vinegar
150 ml Worcester sauce
250 g Chilli Spice

BOEREWORS
Your best mix of meat for this is 80% Beef (Voor Kwart) 20% Pork (Belly)

If you dont get hold of your usual boerewors mix use this one
13gr Salt
2gr White Pepper
1g Nutmeg
0.5 gr Naeltjies /Cloves?
2 gr Coriander

Plain VleisKombuis Braai Boere Wors
3kg Beef
2kg Pork
135g Boerewors Spice or above
60ml Fried coarse coriander
50ml Worcester Sauce
200ml Vinegar
300ml Ice Water

COARSE BOEREWORS Best braai wors you'd get!
16 kg Meat mixed like above coarsely chopped
500ml Water
200ml Vinegar
300ml Worcester Sauce
30ml Coriander Roasted
550g Boerewors spice or above

Paarl Rock Wors
15kg Meat
250ml Vinegar
250ml Water
550g Boerewors mix or above
300g Bread Crumbs/WeetBix or any binder
750ml Water

Dry Wors
VleisKombuis Dry Wors
33kg Lean Beef Meat (the less fat the better)
100g Salt
500g Boerwors Spice or above
500ml Worcester Sauce
500ml Water
5ml Cayenne Pepper

CABANOZZI7kg Beef
7,5 kg Fatty Pork
500ml Ice Water
600gr Wors mix
5ml Smoke Raps

Game Wors
2 thirds Wild Meat
1 third Beef or Lamb
27g per Kg Meat Burger Spice
10g per Kg Meat Vinegar
10g per Kg Meat Worcester Sauce
Add Water to get the right thickness to stop

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You guys don't do things by halves, do you PB?
I love it!
All the meat in kg lots - you guys know how to cater.
I had a mate at University who came from SA (about 25 years ago now). Used to bring this stuff called biltong in every now and then - I'd never heard of it before then and I couldn't get enough of it. Love it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja that recepies is the butchers ones and should be scaled down for personal use.

Nowadays we get lots of Australian sheep in our big shops. A bit cheaper to the local lamb but myself grow up in lamb area. My wife's late dad (skoonpa) was a butcher and he show me the ropes when it come to meat. My wife also worked with her dad and sure know all the rights and wrongs when it come to meat.

We are fortunate this side when it comes to meat products and biltong and dried wors can be bought all over the cafes and shops.

Found it a bit odd when I visited London and had to look at their prizes and quality and not seeing fire lighters, black potjies and grills we are so use to.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Right, I refuse to be intimidated by those quantities of meat (as impressive as they are) and will instead advance a few more metrosexual barbying techniques, which if applied right, might even get you laid.

They're also fucken simple. Forgive me if you're already using them.

Teryaki Lamb Chops
Unless you haven't been fed for a few days, or you're pissed, plain BBQ lamb chops suck.
Get to the supermarket and get yourself a bottle of Teryaki sauce. It looks just like Soy Sauce, but is very fucken different.
A few hours before kick off, stick your chops in a plastic freezer bag and bung in a load of Teryaki sauce. If you want to be flash, also chop up some fresh Rosemary and bung that in too. Mix it round and shove it back in the fridge ready to whip out for the glory-cheffing when required.

Double Pork Chops
Go the the butcher and ask for a bunch of double rib pork chops. The should come out about 4cm thick.
Again, shove em in a bag along with
Juice of a big lemon (I'm not talking gay female)
Fresh Thyme
Slug of olive oil
Garlic
Salt 'n Peppa's here
Again, mush around and stick back in fridge for a few hours. Don't cook too hard.

IMPORTANT - THE LATE BASTE
This is a BBQ'ing tip that I will pass on to my son. If you know it already, congrats.
When your marinaded meat is about 2 mins from ready, get a brush, spoon or whatever and give it a late baste with the left over marinade. Turn it over and give the other side a go. Repeat until you've run out of left over marinade or the meat's done.
This glazes the sauce onto the meat without burning the shit out of it, so you can still taste it. Magic.

Try these recipes and the Late Baste at home next time and don't blame me when your missus jumps you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Was waiting way to long to get a response , so thanks Gags, glad you respond here and forget me if that recipies are intimitating.

You quite right about that basting tip. I do steak that way and dont use salt at all.

I love using marinade , just a hour or so before braaing, on Leg chops or pork and steak off course.

Status
Not open for further replies.