• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The global economy and the Wallabies Euro Tour - predict the results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
For some reason this tour feels more of a benchmark for how the Wallabies have progressed than the tri-nations this year. From a results perspective, the only way we could have shown any improvement in the tri-nations was by letting in one less soft try in Brisbane and win the thing. But on this tour the Wallabies have the chance to improve the crappy away record that's dogged them since the McQueen glory days ended.

There's also the added personal incentive that I'm gonna be sat in the stands for a few of them and I could really do without another egg on the face of the sort that's happened about 70% of the time I've been to games up here!

If you meet anyone talking of a clean sweep, tell him he's dreaming. Between the injury list that grows every day, the lack of footy for six weeks and the two pastings we got away from home this year, this team isn't in the position to pull off a mini grand slam.

The default should be a 50% success rate. Anything less than those 3 wins is a disaster and overall I reckon we should shooting to take 4 out of the 6 games on tour. And here's how I reckon those four could unfold:

vs New Zealand (Honkers): A loss to kick off a big tour verges on the disastrous, and kiwis have shown they're thinking this way by picking the A team. It sounds like Deans has worked the arse off the squad in training, so maybe we can weather the lack of match fitness, but what we can't weather is the loss of Palu, Tuqiri, Elsom and Horwill. If Mortlock's at 12 again it could get embarrassing. LOSS

vs Italy: I watched the Ities almost turn us over in Rome a couple of years ago and each year they only get better. I'm going to have us win this one as well, but could well get uncomfortable. No doubt Deans will also be looking at development players for this one to make it even trickier. WIN

vs England:
Bloody hell. I'm going to pick us to do this one, but not with any real confidence. The new pommy coaching set up and team will still just be forming and the age old question of who at 10 will continue to plague them. We should also have Palu and Tuqiri back. However, the real test will be up front and I fear Sheridan could take Baxter without using his arms. A real potential nightmare. WIN
(anyone convinced?)

vs France:
Stade de France hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us over the years and the frog coach, Marc Lievremont, will be aiming to avenge his side's spanking down under earlier this year. The french have got the backline talent to be awesome when they want to, and I think they will this year. LOSS

vs Wales: We have a better record against the boyos and despite all the grand slam hype from last year, I'm not sure anyone is convinced by them. The Welsh form is also notorious for mirroring their peaks and valleys. I'm gonna say win, but if we'd also lost the Pommy game by now, wouldn't be so sure. WIN

vs Barbarians: Looking at the side the shifty duo of White and Jones have put together, this is another massive banana skin . The list of axes to grind between those two and the Wallabies/ARU/SANZAR/cruel world in general goes on for a few sheets of A4 and should this Australia side be showing any trademark Wobblyness, they'll pounce and not give a shit for how ugly it gets in the process. This will be another "development opportunity" as well. I'm picking a win, but only because it's the BaaBaas for farks sake. WIN

Each time I look at it, like just now, this tour gets tougher. The only game I'd put my over-leveraged house on would be Italy, but it's that sort of thinking that got us in this global financial meltdown in the first place. Fixing the global economy may be slightly easier than getting through this tour with a decent win rate. Over to you Robbie.

T

TOCC

im not actually very confident in regards to the Italy match, especially since we are missing Horwill, Elsom and Vickerman.

Sharpe and Chisolm will be pushed around all day by the Italian pack, hopefully its a nice dry fast track because thats how the Wallabies will win. If its raining and bogged down, i think the Italians might have a chance.

Im actually more confident in regards to the France and Wales matches, France will be hard but i think they will play a similar style to our boys, but we will do it the better(deans) way. Wales will fight hard, but ultimately they wont be able to match our backs.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm probably more worried by the Pommy pack in truth, but couldn't bring myself to write down the word "LOSS" next to them

T

TOCC

yeah ewll im kind of just ignoring the fact that we are playing England..

i have to say, the lineup for the wallabies this weekend is probably one of the worst in recent history.

F

formeropenside

Clean sweep.

I expect though I will be eating my words on Sat night.

W

whocares

Im pretty much worried about the whole tour.
I agree with TOCC that this weekend we'll have once of the worse lineups in a while particularly in the forwards and I still dont have complete confidence in Morty at 12 and if those mind games will work since Carter is a great boot-lace tackler.
In terms of Italy im not sure whats left of the forwards will be up for it if it is a bogged down match.
England is the same.
France has the backs to be great as Gagger says and will have been after our heads since earlier in the year.
Wales has been in good form earlier this year with their own NZ coach and like France have form explosions.

The only one im not worried about is the Baa Baas just because Deans will most likely treat it as a development match.

Status
Not open for further replies.