• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka? Is it performed too often

How often should we see the Haka?

• About the same

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • More

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Not at all

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like the option of doing it for home matches and cup games.
Or you could do it at the end of the game if you win, kinda like a lot of teams do their team chant.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The haka is part of our culture, rugby culture. Talk about biting your nose to spite your face.

I am no Kiwi apologist, but the haka enhances the rugby experience. The TV at my place gets cranked up for the haka.

Please, please do nothing to detract from this wonderful experience.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Less of it by people in the crowds, the same amount for the guys on the field.

Actually, I'm not that phased. It's their culture, they can do it when they want.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Really pretty relaxed what happens, I really don't care if they stop the National Anthems either. Not suggesting one or the other, it up to every country they play in whether they do it anyway. I do agree that it should be as ABs and most Whenua want, just let the opposition do whatever they want, perhaps just so long as noone is too close. As Reg says been doing it for 10s Well over a hundred years. Was talking to sons mates in Italy , they reckon lose probably 20% of the crowd if they didn't do it there. And remember originally it was only done AWAY from home.

Actaully came back for an extra, suppose they been doing longer than rugby has been played under most of it's rules!!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Voted "less". Wheel it out for test series/Bled deciders or maybe really big away games.

Of course, let the opposition do what they goddamn want. Chuck a ball around, dry-hump their goalposts, do the YMCA dance with the crowd, fucken whatever.

The new contractually-obligated wanky adidas triangle formation is some cringey corporate wank bollocks. Fuck that shit. It sucks arse.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t mind it at the start of tests, but when you click on the link “Melbourne Storm team mates give special congratulations to Cameron Smith on 300 games” and it’s two blokes doing a haka with their kit off in the dressing sheds it seems a bit much.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t mind it at the start of tests, but when you click on the link “Melbourne Storm team mates give special congratulations to Cameron Smith on 300 games” and it’s two blokes doing a haka with their kit off in the dressing sheds it seems a bit much.

This is a rugby site, strangely enough.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Love the Haka, always have. I do think it's taken a bit of a life of its own and wonder if it's started to become a bit bigger than the game. This whole business of how to respond and what's acceptable is bollocks to me though. The opposition should just do what they like, including completely ignoring it if they want, so long as it doesn't include punching on (which already violates the laws of the game).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I reckon the Haka is fine for Test matches.
I also believe that McQueen had the right attitude towards it.
Face it,give it respect, then toddle off and take off track pants etc.to let the adrenaline rush fade,before kickoff.

Cant remember the exact number (maybe 16 minutes) but the Wallabies had worked out that New Zealand would be without a tracksuits prior to kick off (run out, anthems, haka, waltzing matilda, us doing ball drills etc).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cant remember the exact number (maybe 16 minutes) but the Wallabies had worked out that New Zealand would be without a tracksuits prior to kick off (run out, anthems, haka, waltzing matilda, us doing ball drills etc).

Yep used to be on purpose was ABs way of saying that weather should not have bearing on game.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep used to be on purpose was ABs way of saying that weather should not have bearing on game.

Haha. So both teams thought they were getting an advantage.

I went on rugby tour to the UK and our coaches showed us a doco on the Green Bay Packers before we left. We all proceeded to cut the sleeves off our jerseys as sleeves were a sign of weakness. Sh*t option. I was just freaking cold.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I don't like it, I can appreciate that others do so if it stays then fine.

I would not miss it if it was never performed, I do not like that it is meant to be a war dance but is now seemingly used as a marketing tool for a football team, and sport.

I think that the cultural significance has been sold out a long time ago and it has lost its original meaning.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd prefer less - NZ home games and RWC only. Will add more significance to home games and the cup. It seems there are more and more test matches these days - I do feel the Haka is becoming too gimmicky. I feel this would be best for NZ to preserve it's cultural significance.

But if they are happy to keep doing it every Test so be it. No big deal.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dislike the idea of after a Test though. Definitely should stay before the match begins - it is a war dance after all. Plus lots of crowd scoot off 5minutes before the end of the match. Gotta keep it at the start.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Love the Haka, always have. I do think it's taken a bit of a life of its own and wonder if it's started to become a bit bigger than the game. This whole business of how to respond and what's acceptable is bollocks to me though. The opposition should just do what they like, including completely ignoring it if they want, so long as it doesn't include punching on (which already violates the laws of the game).

I think this was blown out of proportion a bit after the England incident. Currently teams can do what they want, they just have to stay on their own half of the field. The flying V would be fine as long as you don't cross the line - and even if you do cross the line you only get a tiny ass fine anyway.

You could choose to ignore it but anyone with some common sense could see that is a bit disrespectful, I doubt you'd be fined though, but the media would have a field day with it which is fair enough, especially if you lost.