• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Impending Beale vs Folau vs Cooper debate

Where should Beale play for the Wallabies?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
So with Folau absolutely cementing his position at fullback and Cooper on an upward trajectory again, where can you see Beale playing for the Wobs next year (presuming his form warrants selection). Can he play wing or Inside Center? Or fullback with Izzy on the wing? Supersub?

Providing the 2010 Beale is still out there somewhere, it'll be great to be so spoiled for choice regardless!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So with Folau absolutely cementing his position at fullback and Cooper on an upward trajectory again, where can you see Beale playing for the Wobs next year (presuming his form warrants selection). Can he play wing or Inside Center? Or fullback with Izzy on the wing? Supersub?

Providing the 2010 Beale is still out there somewhere, it'll be great to be so spoiled for choice regardless!

he cannot play 12 because of his defence.
You can only answer the balance of the question after you have seen most of a super 15 season.
On historical analysis he aint a winger so he could be a bench player.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't see Beale playing at 10 as we already have better options in Cooper, To'omua, Lilo and Foley..........

Folau has fullback sewn up, and we have way too many talented wingers to shift him there............

So, at best - Beale to the bench/fullback cover.........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is well suited to the super sub role.

Maybe comes on as a roving winger or pushes Folau to wing when he comes on?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can't see him starting anywhere, barring injury/suspension/loss of form. KB (Kurtley Beale) is a super player, but there are a number of blokes at Super Rugby and Test level who have stepped up and made positions their own. His realistic options are 10/15 and both the Tahs and Wobs have good cover in both. He'd be lethal off the bench though.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Would Beale even fit in the Tahs fully fit backline?

10- Foley
11- Betham
12- Horne
13- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14- Crawford
15- Folau

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i suspect it will come down to foley v beale for 10 if everyone is fit. he probably will start on the bench

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If the Tahs were playing tomorrow Beale would be on the bench, that said if he can recapture his 2010 form we'll have to find a spot for him in the backline as he is too good to leave out when on song.

Cheika is going to have a few headaches fitting all the backline talent available into his 23. I'd say the pre season training will be fierce with the competition for places between the backs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it is a mute question unless Beale demonstrates enough form that he deserves Wob selection.

He clearly has the talent to do that. It would then become Link's (good) problem to work out

Personally I think Beale will be at 15, with Folau at 14 in a "Ben Smith" type role, probably with Cummins @ 11

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it is a mute question unless Beale demonstrates enough form that he deserves Wob selection.

He clearly has the talent to do that. It would then become Link's (good) problem to work out

Personally I think Beale will be at 15, with Folau at 14 in a "Ben Smith" type role, probably with Cummins @ 11

i like the idea of using folau in a smithesque role.

the key issue here is beale under the high ball, this is still a suspect area of his game.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Can't believe this talk. Beale was rightly nominated for the WPOTY not that long ago. He's extremely strong, hard to put down and has a hell of a step on him.

Between him & Folau, that's 2 of your back 3 positions sewn up. The rest should be playing for the other one.

He'll be back, undoubtedly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale was pretty good in 2010, but I don't think he was playing any better than what Folau is now........

His inconsistency under the high ball and in defence doesn't help his cause.........

Henry Speight will also be in contention next year and he's been the best Australian winger in Super Rugby the past two seasons........

Between him, Folau and the Honey Badger it will be raining tries.........

Forget about the Wallabies, Beale isn't even guaranteed a starting spot at the Tahs yet..........

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Beale has the talent but Folau has both the talent and composure.

Even at his best Beale was up with Cooper as far as mistake rate was concerned (particularly losing the ball in contact), and was the worst wallaby defender outside of Cooper.

Folau on the other hand makes minimal mistakes and pulls off try saving tackles every game. He has the composure we need at the back.

I would say he is playing a good margin better than the 2010 Beale.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Foley is the 2nd best Flyhalf in the land behind Quade & Folau the best fullback in the world.

For the Tahs I'd have him on the wing & the Wallabies on the bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It's a good thing though that Beale will potentially have such quality competition just to make the Waratahs team. It will be a quality back line and if he earns a permanent start there than I figure he'll be somewhere in the mix for the test squad. Barring injury or a loss of from Folau or Cooper, I'll figure we are in a pretty good spot if there is any thought that we should drop Cooper or move Folau for Beale though.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Going off the presumption that Beale has sorted his stuff out and is back to his best, I would play him on the wing if in the starting 15. Falou at 15 is changing the way other teams take us on. No longer is it a case of just chuck an up and under and wait for the Wallabies to stuff it up.

Beale as a wing would have to inject himself into the play as often done by Digby. He don't have the same strengths but you would want him getting his hands on the ball more than the average winger.

Beale and Falou in the same back three would see plenty of scope for some dynamic first phase play. At the end of the day, they are only numbers on the players backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.