• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My mistake - it was 2012 not 2013 - but he did START at no.7 (not on the bench as you suggested)

I recalled him being MOTM. maybe just our MOTM. Strange that Half Penny got MOTM when Wales lost.

EDIT - I see that Half penny got stretchered off. perhaps that explains it.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Never happen but I would be happy to see both of them on field come World Cup time. What ever flank side they are given having them both around the rucks and defence will be a bonus for the wallabies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I think Pocock has far more fear factor than Hooper to opposition teams, the sort of fear factor Smith (and Pocock) used to give us. Currently nobody is scared of our forwards in any facet of play. Scrum? No. Lineout? No. Breakdown? No. Mauls? Haha good one. Every international forward pack in the world fancies themselves against us. I'm not a sports psychologist but that can't be a good or even neutral thing.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Scared of getting even slightly isolated by him. Scared of seeing him enter their ruck. Scared of what will happen if they aren't perfection itself in clearing him out. Scared of getting caught with the ball anywhere in the red zone. What did you think I meant? Scared of his political activism?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone clearly remembers the RWC quarter final where he was dominant and seems to have transposed that to every test he ever played.

In hindsight, the Wallabies seem to be remembered as being far more successful during that era because of Pocock than they were (they were slightly more successful than they have been in the last two years).

One thing people seem to gloss over with the RWC quarter final is that South Africa lost their starting flanker, Heinrich Brussow inside the first 20 minutes through injury and that afterwards, the referee Bryce Lawrence was pretty heavily criticised (mostly from South Africa, but they weren't alone). He was removed from the test refereeing panel after that game and then retired.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never happen but I would be happy to see both of them on field come World Cup time. What ever flank side they are given having them both around the rucks and defence will be a bonus for the wallabies.

As an opposition fan, I say bring that on!!

Just like the flawed Smith/Waugh starting combo from a decade ago, a Pocock/Hooper starting duo I suggest would not be good for the Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scared of getting even slightly isolated by him. Scared of seeing him enter their ruck. Scared of what will happen if they aren't perfection itself in clearing him out. Scared of getting caught with the ball anywhere in the red zone. What did you think I meant? Scared of his political activism?

The whole argument in the last few pages has been that's not current any more.

As an opposition fan, I say bring that on!!

Just like the flawed Smith/Waugh starting combo from a decade ago, a Pocock/Hooper starting duo I suggest would not be good for the Wallabies.

That combo knocked you out of the 2003 RWC..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Two opensides doesn't really work, at least not with the physical stature of Hooper and Pocock. We found that out with Hooper and McMahon playing together. It's all pretty moot until Pocock can get some games under his belt anyway.

The point about the fear factor in the forwards is spot on though. There is little to no respect, let alone fear, for our pack in world rugby. The only way we can correct that is to quietly work away at the fundamentals, say nothing and then unleash on those who underrate us. We've done it before in previous successful eras and now is the time to do it again. We'll get no respect in the scrum, the lineout or the breakdown until we bash enough opposition packs to earn it.

Reactions: TSR

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The whole argument in the last few pages has been that's not current any more.

Yeah I've seen that and it's true. But as has been said several times already, all support of Pocock is predicated on the assumption that he returns to something close to his best. And it seems that even given that assumption there are still people who would take Hooper. I've explained why I'm not one of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the only area where we need to significantly improve the 'fear factor' of our forwards is the scrum.

We dominated possession throughout the EOYT and lost games on the back of our scrum.

Generally we're faring fine around the field and at the breakdown.

NZ is better than us in every facet play currently. That was also the case when Pocock was in the team and in form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stirling Mortlock knocked us out of the semi, not Waugh and Smith.

I'm pretty sure Smith was MOTM in that game?

He also made the team of the tournament, and might've......... might've pipped Wilkinson for player of the tournament if the Wobs won the final based on his form in the finals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I thought we won the collisions more often than not on the EOYT. It's why I badly wanted Grey retained because it was his influence there no doubt. I was a lot more upbeat from the EOYT than some because only the scrum and defence alignment were poor but that was to be expected when Slipper & Kepu had played every single Test and a new defensive structure was used.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm pretty sure Smith was MOTM in that game?

He also made the team of the tournament, and might've... might've pipped Wilkinson for player of the tournament if the Wobs won the final.

Were you voting Slim :)

I usually don't pay that much attention to official MOTM awards given they're usually as credible as the straw polls on here.

The most dominant performance on that night and the player that changed the game was the Evil Wizard wearing 13.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Surely the only area where we need to significantly improve the 'fear factor' of our forwards is the scrum.

We dominated possession throughout the EOYT and lost games on the back of our scrum.

Generally we're faring fine around the field and at the breakdown.

Agree BH. I'd say forget about trying to strike the fear into the opposition (thats just guff for journos and commentators), just play well and win is what's needed.

If you can still win with for example messy scrum ball or losing LO ball then so be it. That to me is what would worry teams is that never give up until the final whistle and that a win is always within reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.