• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The latest ruggamatrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Talks about how the Frenchies point scoring works in the Top 14. I reckon it sounds pretty damn good.

They give out a bonus point for scoring 3 tries, but you have to keep that three try margin. So rather than in the S14 when a team could race out to a big lead in the first half (like against the Reds) and then let the other team finish strongly (like the Reds) and end up with a close win, yet still get the bonus point, in the T14 if a team scores the early 3 tries, then the opposition scores a try, then the winning team must score another try to get their bonus point.

I kinda like it. Anyone else?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Noddy said:
Talks about how the Frenchies point scoring works in the Top 14. I reckon it sounds pretty damn good.

They give out a bonus point for scoring 3 tries, but you have to keep that three try margin. So rather than in the S14 when a team could race out to a big lead in the first half (like against the Reds) and then let the other team finish strongly (like the Reds) and end up with a close win, yet still get the bonus point, in the T14 if a team scores the early 3 tries, then the opposition scores a try, then the winning team must score another try to get their bonus point.

I kinda like it. Anyone else?

I like it.

Does two things. Stops teams from defending a lead and doesnlt reward two teams with bad defense leaking loads of tries ala the Blues / Chiefs touch rugby match. Great tries. Horrid defense.

Certainly better than the current S14 system that rewards losers which should never be the case. You lost. The end. I assume T14 doesn't reward a loss.

R

rugbywhisperer

So what happens in a 6+ try to 3 try game - do the 'losers' get a point as well.
i do like the idea of finishing within 7 or the 4 try gonus point, maybe we could add another point for a 3 try margin.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
rugbywhisperer said:
So what happens in a 6+ try to 3 try game - do the 'losers' get a point as well.
i do like the idea of finishing within 7 or the 4 try gonus point, maybe we could add another point for a 3 try margin.

I don't think the losers should get any points. Ever. Why should you be rewarded for losing? You've lost, weren't good enough.

The argument for losing bp withing 7 is the losing team wonlt stop playing. Well if the know they can stop the winning team from getting the 3 try margin bp they will keep playing.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i think the super rugby bonus point is fine except for the losing by less than seven. losing teams deserve nothing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Losing teams receiving any points is a contentious issue; there are good arguments for and against losing teams being awarded any points. Two examples:

1. Early in the Super 12 the Clan played the Tahs in Sydney and were down 12 points when time was up. They had the throw-in at a lineout 5m from the Tahs' line with 2 seconds to go. The siren went, and the Clan kept play alive for another 90 seconds before scoring a try and losing by 7. I, for one, applauded their attitude not to give up the chance to get at least one point from the game and was engrossed by the last couple of minutes of play. Well played Clan, and a deserved competition point.

2. In round 4 this year the Saders lost 6-0 to the Clan in Chch and gained one competition point for their troubles. Some say well done for keeping the Clan down to only 6 points. But others decry a losing side earning anything from such a low scoring match. It's a bit like that curse in soccer, a nil-all draw, from which I reckon neither side should earn any competition points. Looking back on this year's Super competition I regard this poorly-earned point as the one which put the Saders into the semis over the Tahs.

The French bonus point system has some merit and, hopefully, SANZAR will consider looking at it. There also needs to be a bit of work done on the losing bonus point.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I can understand the view of knockers about getting a BP for losing but geez - there have been some cracking games where teams were striving for the losing bonus point.

Lindommer has given a couple of examples but if anybody watched the Heineken Cup pool games in 2007-08 they would realise that the heroic efforts to get a losing BP added to the gripping tension of spectators at the ground or in their lounge rooms.

I've mentioned the French system of try bonus points before. It makes it more interesting too. I remember once Toulouse was loafing along in an early Top14 game this season and 3 tries ahead. Suddenly their opponent scored a try and Toulouse had to get on their bike again. They didn't make it.

Even though their opponent had no chance of winning or getting a losing BP, Toulouse should have been going all the time for another try - and it served them right that they didn't.

I like it - why reward a team for getting 4 tries when they let in 4, for example. This year the Top 14 system would have denied the Blues a lot of bonus points because they let in more tries than anybody else IIRR. I think the French system makes things more equitable in a reward for good rugby (including defence) sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.