• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The New Scrum Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There needs to be a public awareness campaign on this.
Less than fully absorbed rugby tragics are completely unaware of this.

Absolutely. Mrs BH is still adjusting from the change from Touch, Crouch, Pause, Engage to Touch, Crouch, Set.

She'll be even more confused when the Rugby Championship starts.

Gnostic - what makes you think Saia Fainga'a has excellent technique and could excel under the new laws? Is it just the fact that he's smaller and potentially more agile as a result?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Absolutely. Mrs BH is still adjusting from the change from Touch, Crouch, Pause, Engage to Touch, Crouch, Set.

My Mrs was quite confused also. She's a Yr 1 teacher so she really enjoys the way that some refs talk to the players which probably explains why she is so attuned to them. Anyway, watching a game with a Kiwi ref, a scrum packs and she starts giggling. I ignored it and it happened a few more times before she went, "ahhhh, is this ref a Kiwi?" When I said it was, she said, "Oh I thought at each scrum he was telling them to sit!"

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Gnostic - what makes you think Saia Fainga'a has excellent technique and could excel under the new laws? Is it just the fact that he's smaller and potentially more agile as a result?
I sent my non tuned in workmates Scott Allen's OP so that i would not have to listen to their complaints about the way the scrum was reffed - they seemed grateful, although the true loig followers have said nothing so far!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I don't think there can be any doubt that he is more agile. So yes it is that, along with matching the current players with the Hookers of yesteryear and looking for similar style and skill set. Out of the Australian Qualified players I just think he is perhaps in the box seat to transition quickly. Of course all this is just speculation until we see the first scrum in anger and how they develop from there, AND it all hinges on the feed of the ball. If the 9s are allowed to continue the feed straight under their Hooker's feet we won't see a Hooking contest and the need for a driving Hooker will remain paramount. It will be fascinating to see.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

When was the last time you saw a #2 packing down against a Goal Post pad and practicing their timing with a #9 feeding the pill in to the notional scrum.

#6, #7 and #8 may also need to keep their heads down in scrums as well, because they will need to keep their eyes open looking for ball in the off chance that there is a tighthead ball that will need channelling rearwards.

At the moment after the initial hit, most of the loosies to all intents and purposes detach from the scrum as they pop up like meerkats and contribute zero to the actual scrum push.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
At the moment after the initial hit, most of the loosies to all intents and purposes detach from the scrum as they pop up like meerkats and contribute zero to the actual scrum push.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
I get the impression this is particularly so with Australian scrums. I don't know if this true but I observe it whenever our scrum is pushed back we are often 5 v 8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.