• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The playing rugby in 2010 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No broken bones for me, but its a bloody awful sprain, though I'm not taking the time to ice it enough. Went to the physio on Monday and he strapped it. When I took the tape off two days later a huge blister on the front of the ankle that got infected. Back on antibiotics (after being on them less than a month ago post-vasectomy) and doc gave me a tetanus shot. Got lung congestion too so I'm in a sorry state.

Thankfully now that the danger period is over from the snip-snip I can get back on the bike, but with two bad ankles I'll let the physio run its course.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sydney Harlequins is the club closest to me so considering joining them with my housemate. Anyone know much about the club and the grades it plays in?

Haven't played since 2004 Colts up on the Sunny Coast so getting back into the swing of things may be tough!

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Grandmaster Flash said:
Sydney Harlequins is the club closest to me so considering joining them with my housemate. Anyone know much about the club and the grades it plays in?

Haven't played since 2004 Colts up on the Sunny Coast so getting back into the swing of things may be tough!

Think they are in Div 5 in Sydney so you will get the chance to meet NTA. Last time I played against them they were coached by Tony Daly (don't think he is there now).

R

Redsfan

Had our first trial on saturday, wasn't exactly happy with how I played, but I'm horribly unfit so shouldn't have expected much. We have the University Shield or Challenge or whatever it's called out at Hawkesbury this weekend, which should be fun. I'm more looking forward to the bus trip home though.

Aussie D, Burkie played at 8 last weekend believe it or not. :lmao:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tony Daly has moved on to the Wollondilly White Waratahs (http://www.wollondilly.rugbynet.com.au/) who are a good bunch of blokes but no longer in the Subbies comp by the looks.

Grandmaster: Harlequins are a good club. I'm on speaking terms with their club secretary (Rohan Aalders) and he's a great bloke. The Harlequins v Renegades First Grade games are always pretty tough encounters, and though we tend to give their Seconds a bit of a touch-up, they're not short on talent.

They're mostly white boys and come from a range of backgrounds, including some foreign chappies (befitting the Harlequins name) and some very handy players. They were in 4th Div back in 2007 but struggled for numbers and access to their facilities.

Their home ground is reasonable (though soccer practice chops it up a bit) and they have the Iron Duke as their home base as well as the Rugby Club, so you can't go wrong there.

They are always happy to see new players as at the moment their Seconds aren't as competitive as they'd like. Feel free to rock up and tell Rohan I recommended the 'Quins :)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Redsfan said:
Had our first trial on saturday, wasn't exactly happy with how I played, but I'm horribly unfit so shouldn't have expected much. We have the University Shield or Challenge or whatever it's called out at Hawkesbury this weekend, which should be fun. I'm more looking forward to the bus trip home though.

Aussie D, Burkie played at 8 last weekend believe it or not. :lmao:

At least he is not playing flyhalf anymore. Would have thought he would be a permanent fixture in the front row by now, put his mouth to some good use with a bit of sledging....

B

butterfly320

Just some further updates on a couple of boys from last years squad.

Matt Raftery - May be playing Rugby but it's not certain with who at this stage.
Alf Betham - uncertain whether he'll be with us at this stage.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well my season looks in a bit of doubt at this point. I had an MRI on my long-standing left ankle soreness, and besides some long-term ligament damage (not considered too serious) I've split the tendon that attaches to the tip of the fibula. The cortisone has knocked the inflammation on its arse for a little while, but besides the 4 weeks of physio on the right ankle I'm probably looking at 6 weeks on the left.

The club is still trying to get three grades up every week, so I'm keen to get out there, though Halligan Cup doesn't require contested scrums so not sure whether its worth my while. I might just concentrate on duties as Registrar and have the odd trot off the bench every now and then.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Rams kicked off the season with wins in firsts and seconds today and the opposition didn't turn up to their home ground in thirds ( :nta: ). The refs didn't dous any favours but then again we didn't do ourselves too many either. Our defence when chasing kicks still needs a lot of work as the opposition ran through us on numerous occasions (when we weren't kicking the ball out on the full).

Some new rules have been brought into the competition this year - a limited interchange system which I think is good at this level as it has the potential to enable everyone to get a decent run if you are flush with numbers.

The second one is that when a team-mate kicks a ball his team-mates cannot move forawrd until he has put them onside (though that may be an existing rule that they have decided to clamp down on?). Even if the receiver runs the ball back 30 minutes defenders aren't allowed to tackle him unless they have been put onside.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades won both Grades today (53-32 in Firsts and 29-nil in Seconds, though it may have been 60-32 for First Grade) against 5th Div new boys Burraneer.

I was on a plane back from the Gold Coast for most of it, but the Club Secretary told me both teams were fairly scratch for us, with First Grade suffering in the heat for lack of fitness and numbers. Burraneer's Firsts never gave up and took a bonus point for 4 tries which rarely happens against the Renegades, so good on 'em.

If this keeps up, my legacy as the best white prop at the club never to win a premiership is safe.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh and the scrum from Oakhill lost to another club that dropped to 6th Div (Liverpool). Slurp it.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
All UNSW teams made the finals last year and two make the grand finals (1sts and 4ths), but I am not too sure that we went too well last weekend in the first round of the season against Hunters Hill. I was supposed to play but couldn't make it. Somes grades look stronger, and some look weaker so I wouldn't guarantee that UNSW will be near the bottom of the table edit: I would of course be in the lowest grade (being fat, unfit and rather useless)! There may be a 5ths too, but will probably be mostly full of players from colts and 4ths backing up (and losers like me who may be dropped from 4ths).

UNSW subs are around $280ish I think for a polo shirt, shorts and socks. Cheaper for students and members of UNSW Sport. Amount varies from year to year depending on the amount of gear (jerseys, balls, etc) that the club needs to resupply and $280 is on the higher side. Training shirts etc are sometimes included from year to year too and strapping tape, sunscreen, etc and all supplied for by the club on weekends.

Took the liberty of shifting this over from the Shute Shield thread.

Just winding you up Ash. Im sure UNSW will be one of the stronger clubs, but at least they will be somewhat white and play the game with the right spirit. From all reports that didnt happen this weekend when Oatley had 4 players Red Carded in the day and another 4 getting Yellows. Thanks to that we got a clean sweep despite struggling for numbers.

If I do play at all this year it will be down in 4th grade against you as I am also too fat and unfit. You better tell your girlfriend she will need to play nurse on the weekend of the 22nd May :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hah, I'm already crocked. One achilles is tight so I've been told by workmates that I seem to be limping everywhere and one of my thumbs is rather painful around the bottom joint. Unfortunately, the gf has no pity. Assuming I still make the 4ths in a few weeks, we'll see how it goes! :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
the gambler said:
From all reports that didnt happen this weekend when Oatley had 4 players Red Carded in the day and another 4 getting Yellows. Thanks to that we got a clean sweep despite struggling for numbers.

Fark!

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
NTA said:
the gambler said:
From all reports that didnt happen this weekend when Oatley had 4 players Red Carded in the day and another 4 getting Yellows. Thanks to that we got a clean sweep despite struggling for numbers.

Fark!

That is in 5 games though NTA (2 in first grade, one in 3rds and 1 in Colts) so Im sure some of your Oakhill Rouse Hill battles have come close to that. But given that is more in one day than our entire club has had in the 7 years Ive been involved it is not a good look.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Harlequins firsts had a good win against Fairvale, who weren't able to field a second grade side, so we had a 11 on 11 game which was bloody hard work in the sun at 2pm.

Travel out to face Rouse Hill this weekend (NTA's old team?) and from what I've been told it's going to be a tough one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Flash - my CURRENT club. I'll be walking around with a big hat on and a folder full of rego forms (as Registrar). Come up and say hi.

It will be tough. The First Grade battles between these two clubs are legendary but I think our blokes better have their shit together because their fitness isn't supreme at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.