• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The problem with the NRC and how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If the purpose of NRC is simply a platform to support Aus Super, two teams run by each franchise would work well. It creates coach and player pathways, forms an interesting pre-season for the diehard to get to know potential new talent, and provides a backdrop for returning/injured Wallabies. The notion follows a role for Super as simply a platform to support the Wallabies.

It ticks a lot of boxes, if that is what you want from NRC/Super.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
not hard to create one.

All evidence would suggest its bloody hard to sustain one

I disagree somewhat. All the work done off the pitch in the 2016 season laid really promising foundations for the Rams. Growing community engagement etc. Unfortunately the sale to Eastwood essentially killed all that. Sadly it's a case of what could have been in the end.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I must be cursed for NRC as was stars supporter where living in five dock was convenient as they played out of Balmain. And then after they were axed then became rams supporter which given played out of concord also close to home. Still supported them when they moved to Eastwood despite further travel - but now axed.

Makes it hard for me for live games to go and see except Country Eagles usually play a game out of Woolahara so maybe go and see them and go back to my country roots. But as someone in Western Sydney I really fail to see more than lip service given to commitment to try and grow and support the game in the West from our broke and rather uninventive RA. Just imagine if some of Twiggy's $50m was allocated to growing the game in the west.

Lets face it RA are clueless on how to grow the game in the west as given the board only recruits good North Shore and Mosman boys I doubt they would even dare venture out to the West, let alone understand what is required to grow the game in the west. Time for some new brains trust. Hello Twiggy - what's that you say you want to give us $50m......hello....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
All it takes is lots of money, eh?

Let me introduce the NRL and the AFL. They've got lots. We don't. Maybe Twiggy does, so let's wait in high expectation. But don't hold your breath.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Almost the end of June and still no fixture out for the NRC.
I assume this means that there is still no major sponsor.
Looking forward to the competition.
Expect Western Force will give the younger players some increased game time.

The NRC is a RA initiative.
Can't imagine that Andrew Forrest will provide any $$s when his focus is firmly set in setting up WSR in 2019.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have no real knowledge of how these teams were structured/managed/run - but from an outsiders perspective I had got the impression that NSW Country had at least as much affiliation with ACT as they did with the Tahs.

To me, that was perfect. ACT had two feeder teams & Waratahs had two - both based in Sydney.

I can understand the Tahs not wanting NSW Country to be aligned with the ACT, but it’s not like there was any restrictions on a super team offering a contract to someone outside their catchment if it aligned with their squad needs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Almost the end of June and still no fixture out for the NRC.

I assume this means that there is still no major sponsor.

Looking forward to the competition.

Expect Western Force will give the younger players some increased game time.

The NRC is a RA initiative.

Can't imagine that Andrew Forrest will provide any $$s when his focus is firmly set in setting up WSR in 2019.
I am wondering if the RA working group is still in close dialogue with Twiggy's team. I also wonder if twiggy might be persuaded to put some input into NRC to further use as trial concepts for WSR (at least for Spirit/WF home games perhaps)….anyhow imagine NRC pretty important this year to give WF some regular game time this year in preparation for WSR (whatever shape or form that looks like).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do think in going back to one country and one city Sydney team they should rebrand. ie rename Rays as Sydney City......

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I have no real knowledge of how these teams were structured/managed/run - but from an outsiders perspective I had got the impression that NSW Country had at least as much affiliation with ACT as they did with the Tahs.

To me, that was perfect. ACT had two feeder teams & Waratahs had two - both based in Sydney.

I can understand the Tahs not wanting NSW Country to be aligned with the ACT, but it’s not like there was any restrictions on a super team offering a contract to someone outside their catchment if it aligned with their squad needs.
I'm not sure where that they had any affiliations with ACT. They trained in Randwick, were made up mostly of Randwick, Uni and Easts, and played their games in regional areas, but not Canberra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure where that they had any affiliations with ACT. They trained in Randwick, were made up mostly of Randwick, Uni and Easts, and played their games in regional areas, but not Canberra

Ok - not sure why I had that impression. Clearly I was well off.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the fact that there are no games in Melbourne this year is a big step backwards. I agree with other posters there should be 2 team per super side. Part of me supports what the Rising are doing by taking games to the regions playing games in Adelaide Ballarat and Geelong. But they should also be maintaining their presence in Melbourne. Next year they have already committed to a game in Hobart so in 2018 and 2019 the Rising will play a maximum of two home games in Melbourne and that is no where near enough.

With the size of the Rebels squad we would have enough talent to spread across two sides plus it would provide more opportunities to the Dewar Shield players.

For me the NRC should be about providing more product to sell and more opportunities to players coming through

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the competition from an Australian perspective is the right size for what's on offer currently. We need to solidify these teams to be successful in their own way. As for the competition growing going forward, once the Perth, Melbourne and Canberra competition can produce a starting team worth of required talent then we can look to expand, until then any expansion should come from Samoa or Tonga (with World Rugby backing). This seasons competition is all about raising the standard to another level

Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these teams included next year in the build up to the World Cup.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the competition from an Australian perspective is the right size for what's on offer currently. We need to solidify these teams to be successful in their own way. As for the competition growing going forward, once the Perth, Melbourne and Canberra competition can produce a starting team worth of required talent then we can look to expand, until then any expansion should come from Samoa or Tonga (with World Rugby backing). This seasons competition is all about raising the standard to another level

Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these teams included next year in the build up to the World Cup.

We should be focusing on growing the schedule for the NRC before adding any more domestic teams. Ideally to a two round schedule of 10 - 14 games plus top 4 finals. That and perhaps moving it further back in the year to try and give it a bit more open air.

If we were to include new teams then I agree some kind of Samoan/Tongan involvement funding primarily by WR (World Rugby) should be the option. In fact, the PI combine initiative offers just that opportunity. To identify and select a combined team and base it out of Apia.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Won't the prospect of adding in Asia/Pacific teams just intorduce a couple of the main problems associated with the Super Rugby competition?

While-ever there is only one team based in three of the major centres, there is no opportunity to provide more matches in those centres (and if Country sides in NSW and Qld actually play in the country, then same problem for Sydney and Brisbane). And that kind of expansion will also impact on the amount and cost of travel involved. These are two issues currently experienced in Super Rugby concerning most fans.

On the plus side, of course, by not splitting the Super Rugby franchises into two or more, the quality of play should be improved. However, another downside is a reduction in opportunity for fringe Super players to get game time, and also fewer opportunities for coaching development.

In the end, it probably just comes down to the role of the NRC. Is it a development competition aimed at securing better fan connection, or is it primarily a leg up to Super Rugby opportunities for a smaller number of players? A competition with more Aus Capital City teams is more likely to encourage greater fan participation with more games, including local derbies, available in each City during the comp. The current style of competition won't bring in huge numbers of fans as experience shows, but will provide higher quality matches on a less frequent basis to the fans.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
any expansion should come from Samoa or Tonga (with World Rugby backing). This seasons competition is all about raising the standard to another level

Wouldn't surprise me to see one of these teams included

I suppose Samoa or Tonga are possibilities, although the Samoan Rugby Union is not in good odour with World Rugby.

As far as the Fijians are concerned, the Drua will be largely fielding new faces this year out of their domestic comps. Interested to see how that goes but suspect they'll still do well.

Seruvakula has already begun the selection process for potential players.​
“There will be a lot of changes as a lot that have played last year have secured contracts overseas so their will be a lot of new faces,”he said.​
“Kunavula and Draunisinukula are confirmed from the sevens squad. Eroni Sau who made a name for himself during our debut last year has secured a two-year deal with France club Perpignan. Elusive Peceli Nacebe is also in France and it is our job as coaches to identify talents and make them better rugby players as it will benefit their families in the long run.​
“I will select players from the Skipper Cup Premiership, HFC Bank Farebrother Challenge Series and the Vodafone Vanua Championship. I’m opening the door for all.​
“The main thing that I will be looking at is the confidence of the players and their character to play at this level.”​
Wouldn't surprise to see one or more of these countries (Fiji included) involved in WSR as well. With the separate seasons it is of course possible to do both.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suppose Samoa or Tonga are possibilities, although the Samoan Rugby Union is not in good odour with World Rugby.

As far as the Fijians are concerned, the Drua will be largely fielding new faces this year out of their domestic comps. Interested to see how that goes but suspect they'll still do well.

Seruvakula has already begun the selection process for potential players.​
“There will be a lot of changes as a lot that have played last year have secured contracts overseas so their will be a lot of new faces,”he said.​
“Kunavula and Draunisinukula are confirmed from the sevens squad. Eroni Sau who made a name for himself during our debut last year has secured a two-year deal with France club Perpignan. Elusive Peceli Nacebe is also in France and it is our job as coaches to identify talents and make them better rugby players as it will benefit their families in the long run.​
“I will select players from the Skipper Cup Premiership, HFC Bank Farebrother Challenge Series and the Vodafone Vanua Championship. I’m opening the door for all.​
“The main thing that I will be looking at is the confidence of the players and their character to play at this level.”​
Wouldn't surprise to see one or more of these countries (Fiji included) involved in WSR as well. With the separate seasons it is of course possible to do both.

Be good to see fiji in wsr to slow the drain to France

Status
Not open for further replies.