• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ridiculous rumoured ban against a fan for calling Eddie Jones a traitor

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I can't be the only one out there that finds it a complete affront to Australian values that the bloke who called Eddie Jones a traitor is speculated to be banned from Wallabies games for five years as reported this afternoon by The Australian. Outrageous, and a disgrace if it goes ahead.

On the actual incident itself, I see far, far more problems with Eddie Jones' conduct than the fans. Eddie says "come over here and say it", in an absolutely hostile voice, in contrast to the fan. Eddie's comments could easily be interpreted as egging the man on to fight him. The fan doesn't swear, and backs away from the situation, calming things down as Eddie goes completely troppo. Yet he faces a ban? What for? I cannot agree that the expression of an opinion constitutes abuse at a football game.

It may upset the cabal of fawning sycophants and good old boys that have nothing but praise for Jones, but for me, I firmly agree with the fan.

The fact is that the RFU, Eddie Jones' employer, has absolutely caused enormous problems for Australian Rugby. They have blocked reforms to the game that would make it more appealing at every step of the way. They have blocked Southern teams getting a fair share of revenue when they tour there. They have a gerrymander on voting, stacking committees and also a gerrymander on the actual votes at the highest level, where all the home nations get two votes each.

At the organisational level we are so anti their influence on the game that we publicly campaigned for Agustin Pichot to topple Bill Beaumont (RFU, and current World Rugby Chairman). It's a damn shame we didn't roll him. Even a casual fan would easily know that Australian Rugby is very, very firmly against the governing actions that have come from the North and in particular the RFU.

This organisation, which is basically the platinum sponsor of driving the game into the dirt here, is Eddie Jones' employer. A question every Australian rugby fan should ask themselves is, why are you employed by the organisation that's crushing the future of this great game here?

Also, aside from the fact the fan was dead right, can we also cover the fact that professional criticism of Jones is not actually abuse. There is a clear line between abusing someone (typically swearing, yelling, going nuts at someone) and criticism. I think Jones' association with the RFU warrants very strong criticism, and think the fan was perfectly justified. Perhaps there are too many executives at Rugby AU on the Randwick BBQ circuit?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can't be the only one out there that finds it a complete affront to Australian values that the bloke who called Eddie Jones a traitor is speculated to be banned from Wallabies games for five years as reported this afternoon by The Australian. Outrageous, and a disgrace if it goes ahead.

On the actual incident itself, I see far, far more problems with Eddie Jones' conduct than the fans. Eddie says "come over here and say it", in an absolutely hostile voice, in contrast to the fan. Eddie's comments could easily be interpreted as egging the man on to fight him. The fan doesn't swear, and backs away from the situation, calming things down as Eddie goes completely troppo. Yet he faces a ban? What for? I cannot agree that the expression of an opinion constitutes abuse at a football game.

It may upset the cabal of fawning sycophants and good old boys that have nothing but praise for Jones, but for me, I firmly agree with the fan.

The fact is that the RFU, Eddie Jones' employer, has absolutely caused enormous problems for Australian Rugby. They have blocked reforms to the game that would make it more appealing at every step of the way. They have blocked Southern teams getting a fair share of revenue when they tour there. They have a gerrymander on voting, stacking committees and also a gerrymander on the actual votes at the highest level, where all the home nations get two votes each.

At the organisational level we are so anti their influence on the game that we publicly campaigned for Agustin Pichot to topple Bill Beaumont (RFU, and current World Rugby Chairman). It's a damn shame we didn't roll him. Even a casual fan would easily know that Australian Rugby is very, very firmly against the governing actions that have come from the North and in particular the RFU.

This organisation, which is basically the platinum sponsor of driving the game into the dirt here, is Eddie Jones' employer. A question every Australian rugby fan should ask themselves is, why are you employed by the organisation that's crushing the future of this great game here?

Also, aside from the fact the fan was dead right, can we also cover the fact that professional criticism of Jones is not actually abuse. There is a clear line between abusing someone (typically swearing, yelling, going nuts at someone) and criticism. I think Jones' association with the RFU warrants very strong criticism, and think the fan was perfectly justified. Perhaps there are too many executives at Rugby AU on the Randwick BBQ circuit?
I thought it was the guy who climbed the roof and pissed off the side... but I haven't been following it...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Different guy. That guys ban is deserved. This guy is completely different
Yeah knew it was a different guy, but I thought that's who they were banning, not the dude who just gave Eddie a windup... If its the dude just calling him a traitor... Jesus...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think his probable sacking will be sufficient. A five year ban seems disproportionate to me.

That said, why would have a crack at EJ (Eddie Jones) for coaching England? It's an international business and he has a right to make living, especially given that he's been (rightly) sacked twice from Australian teams.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Not sure the Fair Work Act will actually allow Nine to sack him. You have to remember the catch-all contractual clauses like 'bringing the game into disrepute' don't apply to back room staff (which is a good thing - strongly disagree with companies having a right to sack employees for what they say at the footy :oops:). He'd have a good chance of winning an unfair dismissal case.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Never understood why people think paying for a ticket gives them a right to make a dick of themselves at the expense of players, coaches, etc.

Not a good look for anyone involved. The fact that it was filmed, the look on his face, and the person behind the camera saying something to the effect of ‘go on, say it now’ is pretty indicative of the intent.

The worst part is that it wasn’t even good chat.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Never understood why people think paying for a ticket gives them a right to make a dick of themselves at the expense of players, coaches, etc.

Not a good look for anyone involved. The fact that it was filmed, the look on his face, and the person behind the camera saying something to the effect of ‘go on, say it now’ is pretty indicative of the intent.

The worst part is that it wasn’t even good chat.
Yeah, it was crap chat, but its the footy people yell stuff to get a rise... I think someone was saying something to Farrell on one of his kicks Stan cut off lol..

EDIT:- The funniest thing about the whole thing was Eddie lost his shit...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Frankly there were far worse things said in the crowd that day, by both sides.

Calling Eddie a traitor is no different to saying the refs a cheat, the later is arguably much worse and happens every weekend.

I don’t get the fuss over this guy, Eddie overreacted.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ED4E2D1F-91B7-4F47-9A7F-F259681D5318.jpeg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's not forget Israel Folau for all intents and purposes won his unfair dismissal case against RA for doing something undeniably far more egregious in a much more openly broadcasted domain AND being a central public figure. The calls for sacking are ludicrous. As Adam84 said, should you be sacked if you've ever called the ref a cheat, "one-eyed" or "blind" on a Saturday arvo at the footy?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure the Fair Work Act will actually allow Nine to sack him. You have to remember the catch-all contractual clauses like 'bringing the game into disrepute' don't apply to back room staff (which is a good thing - strongly disagree with companies having a right to sack employees for what they say at the footy :oops:). He'd have a good chance of winning an unfair dismissal case.

Nine's employee social media policy might say otherwise... if they were to go down that path...

As for the ban... you know what? Fuck him and the drunk, stupid privileged horse he rode in on.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
A ban is probably over the top. He apologised to Eddie. End it there.

I empathise with Eddie Jones and his response though. The smug guy needed to be put in his place.

Eddie is generally a credit to rugby and you won't get too many disagreeing with that. His background and upbringing has taught him to fight for everything. He experienced racism growing up so I suspect this has taught him to stand up to all sorts of bullying.

"Traitor" guy needs to come up with new material. Please.