• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Scariest War Dances - Pre Match Rituals

Status
Not open for further replies.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
What a completely idiotic argument. Apparently the AB's get an "unfair physical and psychological advantage" from what he condescendingly calls a bunch of men singing and dancing.

Complete and utter clown having a huge whinge about everything that doesn't incapsulate the Wallabies inaility to win in NZ and beat the AB's consistently. It's everyone else's fault. What a joke.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Everyone's entitled to an opinion - it's not worth getting worked up over. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.

The whole haka thing now has gotten to the point of damned if we do, damned if we don't. There's a good split of people on both sides of the argument, thus we can't win.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm surprised no one posted Munster vs All Blacks

[video=youtube;D8hzfrTPo6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8hzfrTPo6E[/video]

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Everyone's entitled to an opinion - it's not worth getting worked up over. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it.

The whole haka thing now has gotten to the point of damned if we do, damned if we don't. There's a good split of people on both sides of the argument, thus we can't win.

The thing is, I bet this isn't what he's always said though. I bet he's never had a problem with it before (we've never heard him throw this rubbish out in public anyway) but now the Wallabies are a decent side once again but still can't beat NZ in NZ, he decides it's time to get rid of the Haka because it's "unfair".

Complete rubbish.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

I reckon it's done well half of the time and badly half of the time. The Munster example, above, was pure awesomeness. The Wales example was awful. The NZRU are excessively precious about their product and they can get fucked.

For me (like you care, but anyway), the haka is now too long and dramatic. Everyone likes a good national anthem but not one with 5 verses. Let's get on with the rugby FFS!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
S120 - On the face of it, I can't say I agree with your synopsis there, but i'venever really followed Marto's comments, so you could be right.

Scarfman - yes, the high horse/preciousness gets on my tits too. Although I prefer the way it's done now to the way it was done previously. Buck Shelfords words were "if we're going to fucking do this thing, we are going to fucking do it right". I would be more than happy to trim NZ's anthem in half too - but that's another discussion for another thread for another day.

And of course I care about your opinion Scarfy! Just like you care about mine! :)

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Stop complaining. You guys only have to put up with Ka Mate a couple of times per year. Over here everybody from the Police right down to the Girl Guides seize any and every opportunity to break out into bloody Ka Mate. Wherever in the world more than one of my countrymen happen to meet you'll hear Ka Mate Ka Mate.It's almost enough to make good citizens emigrate. Hang on,they do!
Actually I don't mind Kapa O Pango because it was written specifically for the AB's and only they have the right to perform it. [Not that that has stopped others]
I don't think the cutting edge action,{throat slit} bothers the opposing team at all. I also think so long as both teams stay on their own side of halfway the opposing team should do whatever they want. If that means going into a huddle at the far end then I don't see that as being disrespectful in the slightest.It's just filling in time while the AB's go through a prematch ritual. And don't start me on our mournful bloody dirge of a National Anthem. The only saving grace with singing it twice is that buggar all people can understand half of it. Sing it once, in Maori.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't get the opposition team. If somebody threatened to slit my throaght, I would want to beat the fuck out of them.

Bledisloe without the Haka would not be complete. Keep it going NZ and hopefully the Wallabies will advance as one and get in your face.

dcjhanson

Frank Row (1)
Stop complaining. You guys only have to put up with Ka Mate a couple of times per year. Over here everybody from the Police right down to the Girl Guides seize any and every opportunity to break out into bloody Ka Mate. Wherever in the world more than one of my countrymen happen to meet you'll hear Ka Mate Ka Mate.It's almost enough to make good citizens emigrate. Hang on,they do!

Haha I hear you. I'm in Afghanistan at the moment with NZ forces and we rip out a haka at the drop of a dime for the most mundane of reasons. At least with the All Blacks it actually looks good and the whiteys are coordinated!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Some of the other sports are amusing.

Tall Blacks
[video=youtube;kC15QIWFchg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC15QIWFchg[/video]

Soft Ballers
[video=youtube;Zi5V26yHG9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5V26yHG9g[/video]

The Black Sticks
[video=youtube;EGjs8lD-Q_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjs8lD-Q_M[/video]

The Ice Blacks (ice hockey)
[video=youtube;SePqdtag2Ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePqdtag2Ss[/video]

I wonder if the cricketers will ever start performing it?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I wanted to find footage of the Tall Blacks performing the haka to the USA Dreamteam in the 2000 Olympics. It was a team of tall skinny white guys trying to intimidate taller and bigger black guys who were all looking very unimpressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.