• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Sin of the Father. The Corby Family Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just reading this book now. Anyone else into it???

The Corby family are a disgrace. I can't believe so many people have had the wool pulled over their eyes.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have deleted your comment Mr Doug due to the controversial and potentially sketchy nature of your comments. We don't want issues with litigation, and as much as I don't doubt your version of events the Corbys are known to be litigious. We can't take the risk.

I'd suggest a PM to rugbyisfun if you really want to let him know your side of the story.

S

spooony

4.2 kg of Pot in your boogie board and you blame it on a corrupt baggage handler. Geez like that sound like a real believable story.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I take your point Barbarian, and also the email from Fat Prop, and don't wish to compromise GAGR, however, I would have no problem repeating all or any of my comments in front of a magistrate with witnesses to support my "accusations", thereby confirming that they were not just idle gossip!
I will conclude by saying to anyone who feels 'sorry' for Shapelle.........don't!!

S

spooony

What is the issue? Are you not allowed to say what you want in your country?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
You can - but you can be sued for slander, for which you need a lawyer, which costs money. I'd suggest if you would like to share your views you could always forward them to wikileaks, or post them elsewhere and link back here... perhaps the mods would allow that?

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Truth and Public Interest. But the pain of the process is not worth the risk for sure.

What has never sat well with me is the fact the Indonesians have no Presumption of Innocence. The prosecutors only have to make a prima facie case and then you have to prove your innocence, while they sabotage you at every turn. If there is a loss of liberty consequence they should at least have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. This old Dutch system they inherited is terrible on any reasonable view and when you consider the degree of corruption over there, it's diabolical. You just get stitched up and there's nothing to be done.

She may well have done it, but when they don't have to do anything more than point the finger the whole process lacks any credibility at all.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Karl, Yes & No.

Of course the place can be corrupt, I'd be a numskull to deny that. But I thought despite allthe public PR, pressure, highish profile people, the Bali lot did a decent job of convicting here on overwhelming evidence, as opposed to acquitting her on a hell of a lot of circumstantial evidence. This theory that theory - were all published in many mainstream papers as borderline fact with Schapelles pretty, innocent looking face covered in tears. It was a clear campagin designed by a few, of which I can't help feel alot was based around the facts that Schapelle was Australian & quite pretty.

I've not read an opinion poll anywhere in the last few years which hasn't been substantially skewed towards her being guilty. And I think from views collated from people who are from around the area - everybody knows somebody who knows somebody who knows the family... well, I guess I'm inline with Mr Doug.

It could have been so easy for her to be acquitted, then to see Rudd, Gillard, Howard whoever beaming in the media about how justice had been done etc etc.. but that didn't happen as the Indo govt stuck to their guns. Something, they should be commended for.

Baba et al - done my best here to stay within what I think is acceptable lines.. but of course delete etc if you think o/wise.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
What is the issue? Are you not allowed to say what you want in your country?

You're not allowed to walk into a movie theater and say "There's a bomb under that seat." or defame a person etc in most places. I love the Free Speech Brigade

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Major, Innocence is not about Public Opinion. And none of us really know squat about what evidence they produced or how badly tainted it was. I doubt much of it would have been allowed in a decent justice system for one reason or another. They don't need evidence anyway, or not very much, they just need to say "The drugs were in your bag, so they are yours. Now prove otherwise." Good luck with that.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Guilty till proven innocent vs Innocent till proven guilty. We could debate it all day but in the end the Indonesian justice system is such that Corby has been locked away and no amount of appealing will change that. She got caught, wether she was set up or an idiot doesn't make a difference in their minds.

She should be counting her lucky stars that she didn't get the death penalty.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Major, Innocence is not about Public Opinion. And none of us really know squat about what evidence they produced or how badly tainted it was. I doubt much of it would have been allowed in a decent justice system for one reason or another. They don't need evidence anyway, or not very much, they just need to say "The drugs were in your bag, so they are yours. Now prove otherwise." Good luck with that.

Indeed, agree. But bear in mind during the media circus that was going on, I had no doubt that she was innocent - I was sucked in by the media whilrlwind & couldn't believe that somebody would be so stupid to get themselves into that position.

But as time goes on

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You're not allowed to walk into a movie theater and say "There's a bomb under that seat." or defame a person etc in most places. I love the Free Speech Brigade

I think a clearer boundary of free speech is handing out someone's private medical records in a crowded theater. - Because someones rights are definitely infringed upon.

Being a nuisance in public doesn't immediately make someone guilty of a crime. (It can, it's just not always the case)

S

spooony

4kg's of pot in your boogie board. In 99 percent of the countries around the world it is called possession. Seriously how do someone sneak that amount into your board without knowing it. If they did not get caught they would have enjoyed the money they got for it

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Watch a show called "banged up abroad". People who have been caught drug trafficking overseas and put in jail narrate you through their experience. A lot of them only got caught after 3+ times, and some of the stuff they got away with (before being caught) is insane.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
If they had just hollowed out the boogie board and stuffed it with the drugs - no drama. Some of the boards I have seen you could, with a bit of dexterity and the right tools, do this in a way that it would be undetectable and you could still ride the board.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I take your point Barbarian, and also the email from Fat Prop, and don't wish to compromise GAGR, however, I would have no problem repeating all or any of my comments in front of a magistrate with witnesses to support my "accusations", thereby confirming that they were not just idle gossip!
I will conclude by saying to anyone who feels 'sorry' for Shapelle.........don't!!

The challenge mate is that the forum could be sued as well and "we" would really prefer not to have brief silks and see gagger putting a second mortgage on his home to find out whether your defense works or not.

S

spooony

But we are not insulting anyone I believe. And when someone get you with your bag and pot in it and you are in a Asian country with strict drug laws there is only one thing that you can ask yourself. Was xxxx amount of money really worth 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.