• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Going back a couple of years, and I think we could suggest Tala Gray was shortchanged by a Chieka promise, gave up a couple of years of good European money for a Super opportunity that never came.

He got injured at the start of the season two years in a row.

I think it was bad luck more than anything.

He would have probably got that opportunity to be in the matchday 23 from week 1 but missed it and by the time he returned he was trying to break into a settled team that had an amazing run of players staying healthy.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
To my knowledge there have been no instances of players blowing up that things didn't work out as they were promised and Cheika seems to have the confidence and good will of the players, so I assume whatever undertakings he is giving to players are clearly framed and understood.

Leroy Houston is back at Bath, no? I don't tink any of us will be surprised if that's where he stays now...

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
And FWIW, Cheika has been making all sorts of 'promises' to the likes of Koroibete, Rona, Houston and Fitzgerald.
Either you mean Fitzpatrick or I have NO idea what you're talking about.
Leroy Houston is back at Bath, no? I don't tink any of us will be surprised if that's where he stays now.
If he truly came back for a promised Wallaby jersey he didn't get I wouldn't be surprised. Rugby players break contracts routinely because a guy playing for you against his will isn't worth much.

That being said, I wouldn't call this the LIKELY outcome.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Either you mean Fitzpatrick or I have NO idea what you're talking about.
If he truly came back for a promised Wallaby jersey he didn't get I wouldn't be surprised. Rugby players break contracts routinely because a guy playing for you against his will isn't worth much.

That being said, I wouldn't call this the LIKELY outcome.

Indeed I did mean Fitzpatrick! The bloke who returned six months ago and still hasn't had his signing with the Tahs confirmed while they waited on Tatafu to decide what he was going to do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Indeed I did mean Fitzpatrick! The bloke who returned six months ago and still hasn't had his signing with the Tahs confirmed while they waited on Tatafu to decide what he was going to do.

He is described and a Tah on the Rays website

DAMIEN FITZPATRICK

Hooker / Prop
Height: 1.83m

Weight: 104kg

DOB: 08/06/1989

Club: Eastwood

Position: Hooker

Rep honours: Aust Schoolboys 2007, Aust Under 20s 2008, 2009, NSW Waratahs 2009-2013, Lyon Rugby (France) 2013-2016, Waratahs 2017

Place of birth: Sydney

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are multiple articles suggesting he has been signed by the Tahs and is training with them now.

I know it hasn't been announced but I think it has been done.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is described and a Tah on the Rays website

Yeah, he's more than likely signed. Not confirmed though.

Between Ready, Hanson, and Latu, we're looking pretty good for hookers. Always good to have one more, and I suppose there's no reason he couldn't displace Latu at the Tahs, he doesn't have a mortgage on the jersey yet.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, he's more than likely signed. Not confirmed though.

Between Ready, Hanson, and Latu, we're looking pretty good for hookers. Always good to have one more, and I suppose there's no reason he couldn't displace Latu at the Tahs, he doesn't have a mortgage on the jersey yet.

He is just another future wallaby (as per his secret Tahs contract clause)

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Who says his heart is no

The game is now professional. Give me the best players, I will give you the best team.

As for Koroibete's attitude, why on earth do people continue to base a whole theory on a puff piece written by a loig journalist during their grand final week?

Don't worry, chaps. We will arrange our own puffs after he joins Camp Wallaby.

Koroibete's a one-trick pony. All he can do is consistently beat multiple defenders to score length-of-the-field tries. If that was any use in rugby, everyone would be doing it!

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't expect the bloke to come out gushing but he managed to not say a single positive thing about the move. Other than money.

If that's the reality, then the reality is that he really doesn't want to be playing rugby.

He said "I'm excited to get back into rugby union and it will be a big challenge after six or seven years not playing." That's a single positive thing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Koroibete's a one-trick pony. All he can do is consistently beat multiple defenders to score length-of-the-field tries. If that was any use in rugby, everyone would be doing it!

I know! A bloke shows good footwork/pace ball-in-hand, gains meters post contact, and makes dominant tackles, and he's suddenly the next big thing!

Honestly.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have an open mind about Koroibete.

Maybe he represents good value for money, although that does depend a fair bit on the quality of his 14 team-mates and the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

Wake me up when he scores his first length-of-the-field try against the Darkness.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Colby is injured for another 2.

Time to release the dreads.

1431525312557.jpg
I would still like to see him with short back and sides haircut personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seeing Will Skelton Dropped from the squad is something I find incredibly frustrating. Not because I don't think he doesn't deserve it - He is not a test level player and Coleman, Douglas, Simmons, Arnold and Sam Carter are all better options
The frustration lies in the fact that a player who has so much potential has been so poorly managed by coaches and support staff. Two years ago the consensus around Skelton was that he was a great long term prospect but just in need of fine tuning his physical condition. Two years later we have seen zero improvement in his somatotype or aerobic output. Watching him play I feel he would be so much better if his frame was just a little bit more mobile.
What have the Waratahs S&C coaches been doing? it is clear as daylight that the training he has been doing just hasnt had the desired affect, and a change is neded before a great talant for AUS goes to waste
Yes but responsibility also rests with the individual. His fitness is not test standard and don't think he appears to haft the commitment necessary to get his fitness to next level. So I rate him as has been for this reason.

As a lot of being top athlete is not just physical side but mental side. Sadly I think Skelton lacks enough of the mental side to be a wallaby contender.

Happy for him to prove me wrong but skeptical that will ever happen

T

TOCC

Yes Skelton's fitness is a constant issue but I wouldn't want to say that Skelton lacks the mental discipline to be a Wallaby, they just haven't found the right S&C balance for him yet.

Skelton is a massive human, people of his size are rare and unique for a reason and there's other factors outside of just the training paddock which may influence his physical make up. Different physiological make ups which can influence not only metabolism, but how they react differently to strength and cardio training.

Or... maybe he is just a lazy trainer

Reactions: mst

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes Skelton's fitness is a constant issue but I wouldn't want to say that Skelton lacks the mental discipline to be a Wallaby, they just haven't found the right S&C balance for him yet.

Skelton is a massive human, people of his size are rare and unique for a reason and there's other factors outside of just the training paddock which may influence his physical make up. Different physiological make ups which can influence not only metabolism, but how they react differently to strength and cardio training.

Or. maybe he is just a lazy trainer
Watching nrl final and recognition of retiring players coming out holding hands with young kids.

Nice touch for family appeal - union could learn a lot from league on how to promote engagement with families as supporters.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching nrl final and recognition of retiring players coming out holding hands with young kids.

Nice touch for family appeal - union could learn a lot from league on how to promote engagement with families as supporters.

Sorry and comments connections with retiring legends as in rugby we don't have event where recognising retiring players

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Saw Koroibete live at the GF today. He is electric.

Has pace, not afraid of contact.

Will get his fair share of yellow cards/suspensions by the look of things but really excited by his potential in our game

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Sorry and comments connections with retiring legends as in rugby we don't have event where recognising retiring players
I think they do a reasonable job welcoming families and sending off retiring players. Every Waratahs game the players run out with small kids. The Tahs have junior March days when hundreds of juniors March round the ground. At the last home game there was a good farewell for Beale, Dennis and Robinson.