• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He seemed too have not been on the national teams liked list.. He'd be real useful now

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
He was up against Scott Fardy at his peak.

I'm not sure it was a case of not being liked as much as not being the best player in his position.

I don't think he was ever likely to be a first choice lock at test level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We'll never know.

What seems fairly clear is that his play in June didn't demand his ongoing selection and whilst it would have been interesting to see if his play at 6 was better, he's certainly not of a standard at 31 to suggest that shaping the rest of the backrow to work around his skill set makes any sense.

Obviuously he was not one of Cheika's gavourites. Got picked on Super form because EVERYONE expected that. Once the masses were placated Chek dumps him pretty well straight after and brings in someone who IMO just doesn't deserve a Wallaby jumper (at least not yet). And surprise surprise he sticks with the bloke.

It really ain't Hannigans fault - he is doing his best I'm absolutely certain - unfortunately his best is not test standard.

That says more about Chek methinks

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
No, don't be a child - it's because after all of these years he still struggles to transform his Super rugby form into test rugby.... and for that reason I can understand Cheika going in the direction of developing a younger player, although I don't think Hanigan is good enough yet for test rugby either.

"Chlid" you say - very undeserved and a cheap shot

Retract !

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He was up against Scott Fardy at his peak.

I'm not sure it was a case of not being liked as much as not being the best player in his position.

I don't think he was ever likely to be a first choice lock at test level.

I believe he went on that end of season tour were Fardy was injured and had one game or 10 mins and was never sighted again.. Although I seem to remember him having a shocker..

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't mind that, sometimes the only way to know if a player is good enough for the next level is to put him there. Retallick and Etsebeth made it okay, and there have been plenty of others.
Completely agree, George Smith another example.
I think the issue is trying it with players that don't even have any impact at super rugby level (yet/if they ever will) , making the result predictable and doesn't do the player any favours.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe he went on that end of season tour were Fardy was injured and had one game or 10 mins and was never sighted again.. Although I seem to remember him having a shocker..

He played 2 of his 3 tests on that end of year tour and Sean McMahon burst onto the scene with some substantially more impressive performances and leapfrogged him.

So he went on that tour as probably the understudy to Fardy and returned further back in the queue.

T

TOCC

Said it when he was here, Jones was never given a fair shot, a real shame that he went overseas.. oh well

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Said it when he was here, Jones was never given a fair shot, a real shame that he went overseas.. oh well

On the other hand, I thought his performances (and his attitude, to the extent that one can measure it) showed that he just did not believe that he belonged on the big stage. I think he was given a pretty good go.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Boks' slaughter at the hands of the Blacks shows where these Wallabies are. They are 3rd-tier, where 2nd-tier is daylight.

It's hard to make a case that Australia is better than South Africa. Under a favourable light you might get away with pretending they're on par, but this Aussie pack with its powderpuff backrow will be bullied again in two weeks.

On a positive note, this result against the Argies takes Cheika's win rate for the two years since the last World Cup now to over 40%.

Heady times.

Sean McMahon burst onto the scene with some substantially more impressive performances and leapfrogged him.

I like McMahon, but he's not the same category of player as Fardy, or even Jones.

The bloke he should be competing against is Hooper.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No money in sevens, though.

Let him go to Japan or Twiggyball to earn his living.

Cheika's time will eventually be up (as will Pocock's) and he could have another crack at matchday musical chairs.

I wouldn't mind seeing him trialled instead of Hooper in a future, stronger, backrow.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Completely agree, George Smith another example.
I think the issue is trying it with players that don't even have any impact at super rugby level (yet/if they ever will) , making the result predictable and doesn't do the player any favours.

Uelese may be the exception to that rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to Izzy Folau.

10 tries in his last 7 test matches means he is now equal 5th on the all time Oz try scoring list with 30 (Gits, Horan, Roff, Tuqiri)

Excellent strike rate from just 59 tests

Just Mitchell (34), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (37), Latham (40) and Campo (64) ahead

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Cheika has reportedly been training Luckhan Tui at 6

In today's Sydney Morning Hurled, he is quoted as saying that one of the newer 6s might get a chance on the road trip. About time. Hanigan is just not physically imposing enough, especially when he is teamed with McMahon.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheikas rave about Hanigan concerns me mainly because he's basically congratulating himself....

Talks about how Hanigan couldn't believe he was there and that he wasn't even a starting 6 in Super Rugby but NOWWWW he has played 7 tests in a row at 6 and that's amazing. He has only played 7 tests because you picked him. Talking about how amazing it is that Hanigan is being selected is just congratulating himself for picking him.

I would rather Cheika stand up and say WHY Hanigan is being selected and get an explanation beyond 'great attitude'. Considering his workrate is unfortunately not backed up by his ability to make an influence. About how physicality is not just a matter of intent, you cannot just 'will' something into existence, and how Hanigan is allowed to be the 'in tight' player yet couldn't shift a pebble, let alone a South African boulder.

T

TOCC

I don't want to see Luckhan Tui played at 6, the young guy is still learning the technicalities of playing lock, I would prefer that be the focus of his development.

RHP apparently elected for surgery because he wasn't in consideratio for the wallabies.. what's the actual go with Higgers, overseas, injured or taking a break?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The back row dynamic will change when Pocock returns and McMahon departs. It was so good to see McMahon running and passing on the weekend as he did in 7s years ago. Pocock will bring a lot of the on the ground game we are missing now and he also does a lot cleanup work in attacking breakdowns.
I reckon it will be a good time to re-introduce Higgers. His lineout skills are excellent and his running game out wide is also very good.
edit - and yes, he can carry through the middle as well.