• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Is he a disappointment or is he just not that amazing as a rugby player?

I think he's a guy who has had some patches of excellent form but his general standard isn't that great. His biggest asset has always been how hard he can hit in defence but he's never been an outstanding ball runner, he's generally got poor handling which makes him average in the lineout and not a good ball player in attack.

He's big and athletic looking so people assume he should be awesome. I just don't think he is or ever will be.

All the attributes except the one between his ears

Plenty of those blokes running around in park footy

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All the attributes except the one between his ears

Plenty of those blokes running around in park footy

The shame of it is that there are probably more blokes running around in park footy with the rugby brain but a regular ol' human body and not the Islander version of Adonis.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's far more to it than just having a rugby brain. It's not like people have the same agility and coordination etc. just because they have the same physique.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's a decent squad option anyway. He'll do a job at 6 if needed. Attrition rate for the Wallabies is always sky high.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Honestly, Timani is the biggest disappointment in Australian Rugby at the moment!

Timani has never had the game to play in the backrow. Iv'e been saying to my mates for years In fact his coaches should have done a Richard Harry years ago and read him his future.... Front row is the path for you my son. The bloke is perfectly built for it....

T

TOCC

There's far more to it than just having a rugby brain. It's not like people have the same agility and coordination etc. just because they have the same physique.

Exactly, people get caught up in how a player looks physically, there’s been plenty of giants who haven’t had the coordination, balance or reflexes to play sport at a competitive level.

Look at players like John Eales , George Gregan and more recently Jack Maddocks, all played cricket at a junior representative level and could have easily easily had long careers in cricket. Cricket has vastly different physical requirements then rugby, but it requires an enormous amount of balance, coordination and good reflexes.

Sonny Bill-Williams and his freakish offloads aren’t because he has a good rugby brain, it’s because he has fanatic proprioception which allows him to have an awareness of his body and movements. Add that to his ridiculous physique and you have a once in a generation athlete.

Rugby smarts is a thing as well, just listen to Chucky Stannard talk about how he is still playing at his age, mightn’t be as fast as he once was but keeps up by cutting corners on the field and running to where the play will be and not where the play is.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At what point does rugby brain stop including proprioception.

You'd assume self awareness would require the use of ones brain.

T

TOCC

At what point does rugby brain stop including proprioception.

You'd assume self awareness would require the use of ones brain.

To be honest I don’t know where your definition of ‘rugby brain’ starts and stops, it’s an undefined and subjective term for me. For all I know it could be wide and all encompassing.

Proprioception and technical knowledge of rugby seem to better explain what some people are struggling to define.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Stephen Moore was the finest example of lately a players brain been extremely sharp but eventually even reading the game well your body just cant react to situations no matter if you see whats happening a second earlier than the others.

Wallabies will be stronger on this point alone this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
LDDL_f-maxage-0.gif

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Knowing the Wells family, I think you’d find not even they would be contemplating a place for Michael in the Wallabies squad at this stage.
He is playing well. Wouldn't discount him altogether

Thought he outplayed Hooper, vs Jaguares

Hooper was back at his best vs Rebels

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk