• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
That's an overstatement of Beale's present contributions at the Tahs and the Wallabies. His sole positive influence atm is to put Folau through gaps. He can't defend to the required level, and his crabbing tends to disrupt the rest of the backline. Only Folau seems to be able to take any advantage from a Beale pass.

You're right, I was being diplomatic about his suitability to certain roles.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Ironically enough, rugby stats app have Kurtley and Kerevi with exactly the same number of missed tackles this year - 27, equal 4th in the comp

I think the difference is when Kerevi does tackle you, you are actually tackled. Beale -- not as much, even where Beale does make a tackle it's seldom a dominant tackle.
But if we are dealing with the numbers (I'm using FoxSports Stats because...). I think average numbers are typically better because they are more representative but both Kerevi and Beale have played the same number of games. But enough justification what do the numbers say --

Tackles Missed Ratio
Kerevi 87 35 40%
Beale 67 32 48%

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However bad Beale's defence is, you're not going to convince anyone that Kerevi is going to get selected for his defence above any other player.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
However bad Beale's defence is, you're not going to convince anyone that Kerevi is going to get selected for his defence above any other player.

I'm not saying Kerevi is a good defender -- only that he's better than Beale. But perhaps it's bias but my eyeball test says he's not actually a bad defender -- at least most of the time.

Like I have said when Beale tackles you, you are getting over the advantage line, when Kerevi tackles you not so much. I do like the idea of Beale at 10 over Foley but we would need to see that form the Waratahs for at least a game or two before I would be comfortable seeing it in an international (but I do suspect the inclines of issues we are seeing from Beale as a fly half are likely to persist).

Edit I forgot 'not'.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm saying Kerevi is a good defender -- only that he's better than Beale. But perhaps it's bias but my eyeball test says he's not actually a bad defender -- at least most of the time.

Yes, but there is no way in hell Kerevi's defence is good enough that it is going to be what gets him selected in the side over someone else.

He'll get selected on the back of his ball running ability and his defence will be considered a weakness.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
One thing to keep in mind with Stewart is he's still learning how to play fly half originally he use to play flanker (explains his defence and love of hitting rucks!). While it's obvious he's got the instinct and vision to play fly half he's still learning his trade -- even just as a back.

How long as he been playing fly-half? If he's only been a back for the last 4-5 years it's probably already too late for him to become a top-class fly-half. You need to have played years of rugby to have learned the nuances required of being a ballplayer.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
How long as he been playing fly-half? If he's only been a back for the last 4-5 years it's probably already too late for him to become a top-class fly-half. You need to have played years of rugby to have learned the nuances required of being a ballplayer.

Yeah, I'm not sure when he made the transition. I wouldn't say it's too late for him at all. He's quite clearly a very capable fly half at U20's RWC he was one of the most composed fly halves playing there. If you can find it those U20's games were really illuminating to just how good he could be.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I really can’t see Stewart being in the 23 at this stage.

If something happens to Foley, I believe Cheika will go for a make shift option.

However, he is the only 10 currently playing who seems to have any sort of potential to one day be a test player. If I am wrong I will very happily be corrected. For that reason I hope he is included in the squad.

Hell - if there is anyone else remotely on the radar, I would invite them to. Personally I wouldn’t object to Quade being invited.

Deegan might be an outside chance, but it remains to be seen if RA and Cheika are true to their words that Western Force players will be considered for test selection.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And that's a terrible indictment of both their selections at test level.

Why?

It's not like we have a player who is an outstanding attacker and defender that is vying for the position.

If we select a better defender we are compromising on their attack and/or other areas of their game.

There are very few Wallabies who are complete players without any substantial flaws in their games.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, but there is no way in hell Kerevi's defence is good enough that it is going to be what gets him selected in the side over someone else.

He'll get selected on the back of his ball running ability and his defence will be considered a weakness.

BH, would you say that Beale should be selected over anyone else based on his even poorer defensive record, combined with his increasing propensity to run towards the sideline with ball in hand? He should be measured on his ability to set up support players but Folau aside, he doesn't seem to put a lot of others through gaps this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Why?

It's not like we have a player who is an outstanding attacker and defender that is vying for the position.

If we select a better defender we are compromising on their attack and/or other areas of their game.

There are very few Wallabies who are complete players without any substantial flaws in their games.

Chuck them all out, I say.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, would you say that Beale should be selected over anyone else based on his even poorer defensive record, combined with his increasing propensity to run towards the sideline with ball in hand? He should be measured on his ability to set up support players but Folau aside, he doesn't seem to put a lot of others through gaps this year.

He should be selected on his overall ability as a 12 which on the basis of what we saw last year in test rugby was easily the best we had available.

I think he is a pretty obvious selection at 12 again this year.

Who exactly is this star 12 you want selected?

No stat tracker seems to do line break assists this year but in terms of total line breaks for the Aussie teams the Tahs have 137 for the season, Rebels 120, Reds 97 and Brumbies 77.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He should be selected on his overall ability as a 12 which on the basis of what we saw last year in test rugby was easily the best we had available.

I think he is a pretty obvious selection at 12 again this year.

Who exactly is this star 12 you want selected?

No stat tracker seems to do line break assists this year but in terms of total line breaks for the Aussie teams the Tahs have 137 for the season, Rebels 120, Reds 97 and Brumbies 77.

Matt To'omua

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Matt To'omua

Also not currently available for selection.

His attacking ability isn't as good as Beale.

I agree though that To'omua would be in our best 23 if he'd stayed in the country.

He left to chase more money though which was a shame. We could absolutely use him (as we were when he left).