• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
MT was without doubt a test quality No 12 - just ask Billy Twelvetrees what it's like to play directly opposite him. Absolutely thrashed when the Lions played the Brumbies, and seemed to take a couple of years for him to get his mojo back for England. Having said that, Bernie Larkham always seemed to favour To'omua at 10 with Christian at 12 if I recall correctly. I have no doubt that had he taken the option of remaining in Aus instead of traveling to England to give his new wife the opportunity to play her cricket over there, he would have become a starter for the Wallabies at either 10 or 12, and he would be, and is, a far better option than either of Beale or Hodge at 10.

Agree completely. I thought To'omua always looked his best at 12 - at all levels. Quality player. A pretty decent 10 too, which is part of the problem with him and Leali'ifano being swapped so much that neither settled ideally into either position. Any which way, To'omua was a loss to Aus rugby.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Here's my revised 33 man squad.

Props (6): Sio, Robertson, Faulkner, Kepu, Tupou, Ala'alatoa
Hookers (3): Uelese, BPA, Latu
Locks (4): Coleman, Rodda, Simmons, Arnold
Backrow (6): Hooper (c), Pocock, Timu, Samu, Cottrell, Hanigan
Halfbacks (3): Genia, Phipps, Gordon
Fly half (1): Foley
Centres (4): Beale, Kuridrani, Kerevi, Rona
Outside Backs (6): Folau, Koroibete, DHP, Hodge, Banks, Naiyaravoro

Really close to being what I would pick.

Would replace Cottrell with Lukhan Tui and Hanigan (inj) with Timani.

Would replace Naiyaravoro with Maddocks, and possibly replace Banks with Matt Philip to have an extra forward as Rona can cover outside.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I subscribe to the idea that test rugby wherever you play it is tougher than Premiership or Super Rugby.

A 33 test player heading OS on a three year contract has effectively retired from internationals while he is OS

I was wondering today if there is a system to backdoor the overseas rule.

Samu has now signed to play in Australia next season, but will not this year but he is eleigible now.

Can a player sign a "future" contract to play in Australia in 2030 on a token $1 contract and be eligible this season?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I was wondering today if there is a system to backdoor the overseas rule.

Samu has now signed to play in Australia next season, but will not this year but he is eleigible now.

Can a player sign a "future" contract to play in Australia in 2030 on a token $1 contract and be eligible this season?
Ultimately it's only an ARU policy, so they can use whatever method of selecting eligible players that they want. No need for "backdoors". Just pick them

Having said that, the policy is selection is available for players who have made a commitment to a super rugby (+twiggy now?) for two years, so Samu still shouldn't be selected, given he's only signed for one

Edit (He signed for two! )

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here's my revised 33 man squad.

Props (6): Sio, Robertson, Faulkner, Kepu, Tupou, Ala'alatoa
Hookers (3): Uelese, BPA, Latu
Locks (4): Coleman, Rodda, Simmons, Arnold
Backrow (6): Hooper (c), Pocock, Timu, Samu, Cottrell, Hanigan
Halfbacks (3): Genia, Phipps, Gordon
Fly half (1): Foley
Centres (4): Beale, Kuridrani, Kerevi, Rona
Outside Backs (6): Folau, Koroibete, DHP, Hodge, Banks, Naiyaravoro
Is hodge injured?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He was a much more complete 10 than Hodge and played there often for the brumbies. He was without doubt a test class 12 and could easily fill in at 10 as a back up.
Lealiifano is an adequate 10 but more of a 12 as well. It’s great that he is back playing super rugby but I doubt he will play a big part for the wallabies in the future.

These statement give an idea as to where Bernie is at when he coaches 10s.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having said that, the policy is selection is available for players who have made a commitment to a super rugby (+twiggy now?) for two years, so Samu still shouldn't be selected, given he's only signed for one

I am pretty sure Samu is signed for two years. Expect him to be selected in the squad tomorrow night.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not calling for it, but with all the injuries and what not I wouldn't be surprised to see Douglas in the conversation for a locking position. (Also that Arnold you have listed -- Richie or Rory?)

Also not sure about Latu (or Ready), over the other guys regularly playing Super. Edit: What about Hugh Roach?
Definitely Rory, Richie is OK, but his a few good years of development of Rory..not his fault Rory's just been at it longer and I feel is actually a bit tougher

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
These statement give an idea as to where Bernie is at when he coaches 10s.
I find this strange the reason Matt and Leo ever swapped was MT got injured and Leo stepped in... It was always MT 10 CL 12. Matt had one northern tour outside Quade were 12 suited him. But the switched negated one of his best attributes which was leading the defensive line from 10 out.. He would lead hard and from 10 out the team hit early and hard.

I really can't blame him going north, his always been the odd man out.. Last world cup giteau'd this world cup probably end up behind Beale / Foley..Rightly or wrongly he never cracked / owned a spot.. But the same as CL..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He isn't. He's in my squad and I think he will wear the 22 jersey in the first test.

He's a bit down on form but his versatility gets him a gig I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sorry.
See him now.
I would have had him in a closer to the action spot.
Boy we are thin at 10.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I find this strange the reason Matt and Leo ever swapped was MT got injured and Leo stepped in. It was always MT 10 CL 12. Matt had one northern tour outside Quade were 12 suited him. But the switched negated one of his best attributes which was leading the defensive line from 10 out.. He would lead hard and from 10 out the team hit early and hard.

I really can't blame him going north, his always been the odd man out.. Last world cup giteau'd this world cup probably end up behind Beale / Foley..Rightly or wrongly he never cracked / owned a spot.. But the same as CL..

He went north for love did he not?
Pity, whatever the reason.