• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd be very surprised if Holloway gets into the 23 against England. All signs point to him being left out of the squad.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Which would be a shame, but he's got plenty of time to prove himself. I just hope that Cheik doesn't have designs on wheeling Cliffy out one more time. The big fella just doesn't have any gas in the tank any more. Probably more likely that he'll go with McCalman and also try and find a bench spot for McMahon, because he seems to love his mongrel (and who can blame him for that).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You are right. I never thought of that but it's true. Most coaches give the order not to kick against Folau. He's important even doing nothing, just his presence generates respect in rivals. That's one of the reasons why Cheika picked him at the WC when he wasn't at 100%

Totally agree that he makes opposition teams change their plans, well except for the All Blacks, who have so much class across the paddock that they will expose a bloke when he's not 100% fit.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sio
Moore
Holmes
Simmons
Arnold
Fardy
Hooper
Pocock
Phipps
Foley
Horne
Lilo
Kuridrani
DHP
Folau
TPN
Slipper
Smith
Coleman
Holloway
Frisby
Kerevi
Hunt
TGC could surprise us and go with a 6/2 bench, Hunt could cover 12/13/15 at a pinch. In that case it'd be McMahon for Kerevi.

On present form, I'd probably start with Slipper with Sio on the bench and I'm not convinced yet that Hunt has shown enough to be on the bench. Not many alternatives, but Harris might get the spot based on his previous Wallabies' experience. Otherwise, agree with all of your selections.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd be very surprised if Holloway gets into the 23 against England. All signs point to him being left out of the squad.

I'm sure I heard Cheika say on Rugby 360 that there would be development opportunity for a few new players in the England tests. Even if there is only one, that would have to be Holloway imo. He is a standout as a relatively newcomer and would fit perfectly as a late replacement into a back row containing any of Fardy, Pocock, McMahon and possibly Hooper given they work well at the Tahs.

Just a pity we haven't got any backs coming through who show the same level of promise. That is where we are most deficient atm.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The word is Cheika doesn't rate him. His time at the Waratahs points to that, as does the fact that he is yet to be involved in any preliminary Wallaby wider squad catch-ups (as revealed in this week's podcast)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The word is Cheika doesn't rate him. His time at the Waratahs points to that, as does the fact that he is yet to be involved in any preliminary Wallaby wider squad catch-ups (as revealed in this week's podcast)

I have faith in Cheika. If he chooses not to pick him it will be for good reason. After all, McCalman and McMahon are respectable alternatives.

I would certainly like to see him in the extended squad this year. But I bet my house if he doesn't make it and backs up his great super xv season next year he will be in it next year. He is young so there is still time.

I have no issue with leaving out a player who only has one good super xv season under this belt to date. Sure he is playing well, but its not THAT well that Cheika has no choice but to pick him (over McCalman and/or McMahon).

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm sure I heard Cheika say on Rugby 360 that there would be development opportunity for a few new players in the England tests. Even if there is only one, that would have to be Holloway imo. .
I think Arnold or Timani will be thrown in there, surely Holloway should get the spot that Vaea took up before retirement?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have faith in Cheika. If he chooses not to pick him it will be for good reason. After all, McCalman and McMahon are respectable alternatives.

I would certainly like to see him in the extended squad this year. But I bet my house if he doesn't make it and backs up his great super xv season next year he will be in it next year. He is young so there is still time.

I have no issue with leaving out a player who only has one good super xv season under this belt to date. Sure he is playing well, but its not THAT well that Cheika has no choice but to pick him (over McCalman and/or McMahon).

Me too Seb. I think Cheik's record across all the levels of the game he's coached tells us that he knows what he's doing. Having seen him at Leinster, the Tahs and now at the Wallabies I think we know what he favours: big confrontational gnarly forwards and highly skilful backs. Hmm, sounds a bit like Randwick doesn't it. :)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs and the Brumbies are supposed to be the best the Australian Conference has to offer. Judging from the performances of them against the NZ sides I have to say there is no chance at all that they will win the Bled this year. Shit as it stands they will be lucky to be competitive, and certainly if they attack like Larkham has the Brumbies playing it will take me right back to the shitty days of watching the Tahs play under Foley.

I think Folau has to be moved to the wing at the very least because while he is a brilliant counter attacker and unmatched under the high ball his kicking is woeful and he is now constantly targeted in that facet of play. Maybe move him to 13 and move Kurindrani into 12 and put the second playmaker at 15. Whatever is done I think against the English and then the ABs the Wallabies need at least two very good kickers in the back three, and IMO Folau is not one of them. So that will exclude Horne, Tomane (if fit) and just about every other winger in Oz.

T

TOCC

Folau even with his kicking deficiencies is still the best fullback Australia has, you replace him with someone who is a better kicker and they present their own weaknesses, whether they be their ability to take the ball in the air, positioning or kick returning.

Whilst it will probable be defensively fragile, a backline with a centre pairing of Kerevi-Kuridrani and Folau at fullback would present a defensive nightmare for England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Folau at OC is becoming a more attractive option every week. He's been great there IMO, and is probably the form Aussie back at the moment.

Not sure who you'd play at fullback though, maybe DHP or Hunt?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Folau at OC is becoming a more attractive option every week. He's been great there IMO, and is probably the form Aussie back at the moment.

Not sure who you'd play at fullback though, maybe DHP or Hunt?

Somebody who can kick. We need one decent kicker, we have none at the moment.