• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Scrub I get your point that as part of the Pooper combo that Hooper performs more of the carrying and linking role and Pocock the breakdown role but I think if you consider who you would want pulling the ball out of an under pressure scrum (God forbid) it would be poey. Hoopers great running lines, speed and deceptive power are great, they are how he makes so many breaks but Poeys brute strength and ability to bounce people off him in the tight exchanges are preferred. That said, in all other on field elements Hooper performs the "8" role and Pocock the "7" role

I'd have
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Arnold or Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lilo
13. TK
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Nau
17. Sio
18. Benny A
19. Arnold or Coleman
20. McMahon or McCalman
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Harris or possibly Hunt

Reasoning: we're obviously light on out wide. I'm assuming Tomane remains injured and I've always liked the 14 to be a kind of 2nd fullback with a solid kicking game. Then putting Kerevi on the bench means that should anything happen to TK we can still play that primary threat at 13 (a factor which I think actually allows Izzy time and space to be his lethal best at 15, which he lacked at the Tahs early in the year). If Samu wears 22, a 12/15 utility is probably required in 23. If KB (Kurtley Beale) wasn't injured he's play 12 and we wouldn't have this problem but he is and we do. The above team has nice balance and coverage across positions with adequate weapons to really trouble an England team that without Tuilagi and Farrell won't throw too many punches at us out wide.

Discuss

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's a discussion Slim ! - maybe you are so narrow minded.

Or has someone else suggested that before ????

As mentioned already by @Groucho. It would make absolutely no difference to the way they play. Pocock will continue to play the fetcher role he did last year whilst at 8. Whilst Hooper was playing the traditional role an 8 plays but at 7 - running, tackling, playing wider, being the aggressor.

Only difference would be where they pack come scrum time, and I'd actually bet Pocock would be better at the back of the scrum given it looks like he has a longer reach.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Scrub I get your point that as part of the Pooper combo that Hooper performs more of the carrying and linking role and Pocock the breakdown role but I think if you consider who you would want pulling the ball out of an under pressure scrum (God forbid) it would be poey. Hoopers great running lines, speed and deceptive power are great, they are how he makes so many breaks but Poeys brute strength and ability to bounce people off him in the tight exchanges are preferred. That said, in all other on field elements Hooper performs the "8" role and Pocock the "7" role

I'd have
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Arnold or Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lilo
13. TK
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Nau
17. Sio
18. Benny A
19. Arnold or Coleman
20. McMahon or McCalman
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi

Reasoning: we're obviously light on out wide. I'm assuming Tomane remains injured and I've always liked the 14 to be a kind of 2nd fullback with a solid kicking game. Then putting Kerevi on the bench means that should anything happen to TK we can still play that primary threat at 13 (a factor which I think actually allows Izzy time and space to be his lethal best at 15, which he lacked at the Tahs early in the year). If Samu wears 22, a 12/15 utility is probably required in 23. If KB (Kurtley Beale) wasn't injured he's play 12 and we wouldn't have this problem but he is and we do. The above team has nice balance and coverage across positions with adequate weapons to really trouble an England team that without Tuilagi and Farrell won't throw too many punches at us out wide.

Discuss

x2 for your squad selection and reasoning. Right on the money.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Barbarian has obviously been reading my posts and has put up the following squad in his article on the front page.........

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Arnold
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lealiifano
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Alexander
19. Coleman
20. McCalman
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Hunt

PROPS

Scott Sio, Greg Holmes, James Slipper, Ben Alexander, Toby Smith

HOOKERS

Stephen Moore, Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Hanson

LOCKS

Rob Simmons, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Will Skelton

BACKROWERS

Scott Fardy, Michael Hooper, David Pocock, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon

HALFBACKS

Nick Phipps, Nick Frisby, Nick Stirzacker

INSIDE BACKS

Bernard Foley, Christian Lealiifano, Samu Kerevi

OUTSIDE BACKS

Tevita Kuridrani, Rob Horne, Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau, Karmichael Hunt, Reece Hodge

We're clearly struggling at depth at TH prop and the outside backs to have Alexander and Hunt in the 23.........

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
We're clearly struggling at depth at TH prop and the outside backs to have Alexander and Hunt in the 23...

I'd have Alexander behind Ruan Smith and Makin at the Brumbies now, so surely there must be someone that's a better bench option for the Wallabies?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Holloway/McMahon/McCalman can get game time from the bench and/or if Hooper/Poey has a game off to rest which is very unlikely unless maybe we win the first 2 England Test matches. They should get more game time come EOYT too.

But Seb, I believe you have missed the importance of the EOYT. It is after all a "Grand Slam" tour is it not? Much too important to be blooding new players.* Let's just stay with the 2015 RWC squad right through to the 2019 RWC.

* I don't believe this, but am anticipating the arguments to come from known recalcitrants.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'd have
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Arnold or Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Lilo
13. TK
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Nau
17. Sio
18. Benny A
19. Arnold or Coleman
20. McMahon or McCalman
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi

Discuss

That would be my 23 also. Right on the money for mine.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Barbarian has obviously been reading my posts and has put up the following squad in his article on the front page...

We're clearly struggling at depth at TH prop and the outside backs to have Alexander and Hunt in the 23...

Considering Poite is ref for June 11 Alexander is a risk that cannot be carried.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Still find it hard to believe that Tom Robertson and Angus Taavao have been invited ahead of all other THP options including Alexander, Smith, Makin & Talakai.

IMO Talakai should be considered to be there or there abouts. Has been a quality performer on a weekly basis, with Holmes being the dominant THP the Reds don't lose much when he comes on. Probably gain a bit more around the pitch but certainly no less at the set piece.

Faagase has been a bit of a disappointment with his scrummaging over recent weeks but he too would still be someone who could be there on the Loose head side down the track.

Along side Ready that was the reserve Reds front row at the start of this season. All have developed into quality scrummagers along side Nick Stiles.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Still find it hard to believe that Tom Robertson and Angus Taavao have been invited ahead of all other THP options including Alexander, Smith, Makin & Talakai.

IMO Talakai should be considered to be there or there abouts. Has been a quality performer on a weekly basis, with Holmes being the dominant THP the Reds don't lose much when he comes on. Probably gain a bit more around the pitch but certainly no less at the set piece.

Faagase has been a bit of a disappointment with his scrummaging over recent weeks but he too would still be someone who could be there on the Loose head side down the track.

Along side Ready that was the reserve Reds front row at the start of this season. All have developed into quality scrummagers along side Nick Stiles.

Included in what? Have I missed the announcement of a squad for the England tests? Or is this a reference to an earlier camp at Garden Island (I think) when Taavao was there much to the amazement of most rugby followers in the country. But I don't remember Robertson being included in that exercise.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the goalkicking, despite the stats being pretty good for both Foley and Lealiifano this year, I don't really have confidence in either of them. A few weeks ago, Lilo was on 86%, but then the game in Melbourne happens and it makes you wonder if he's been getting lots of kicks from in front. Foley was in the mid 70s, but he's missing them from just 10m to the left or right. Foley's advantage on Lilo has always been his distance, but this year I'd say that has been negated, if not swung to Lilo's favour.
TLDR I don't know what to think of our goalkicking, but my heart isn't confident.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Included in what? Have I missed the announcement of a squad for the England tests? Or is this a reference to an earlier camp at Garden Island (I think) when Taavao was there much to the amazement of most rugby followers in the country. But I don't remember Robertson being included in that exercise.

Chiek has added a couple more players into the wider squad in the last few weeks including Andrew Ready, Tom Robertson others include Mann-Rea and Inman.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Last month the Cockatoo Island camp I recall.

I wouldn't read too much into some of the selections there. Sometimes they are an a opportunity to just look closer at someone the coaches haven't necessarily seen up close before and get to know.

Those left out like Robinson and Alexander, the coaches know very well. I'd say that given neither of them are starters or guaranteed bench options, you might as well look at others in a camp like that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Those four I can understand, though Mitch would have to consider himself lucky. Taavao though is a different kettle of fish. Hopefully, it is only to provide opposition at training. As you say, all of Alexander, Smith, Makin and Talakai have been playing much better than he has and would be better options if being used potentially as replacements in the tests.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
As mentioned before someone like Holloway missing out over Palu is another one I am still trying to work out, but he must have some sort of plan which although I question still hope goes to plan. Will not want the poms leaving this country with bragging rights.

IMO Chieka will choose this 23 but will shake up attacking and defensive roles. He will reward a start to Queensland players Kerevi, Hunt and Frisby. Makes sense to play some home town boys in front of there crowd to help them with surroundings etc somewhat easier transition into test careers. Side as follows;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley (Defend as 2nd FB or Blind wing/Attack as normal)
11. Horne (Defend at 12 / Attack as per position)
12. Lealiifano (Defend at 10 / Attack at 15)
13. Kuridrani (Defend at 13 / Attack at 12)
14. DHP (Defend & attack as per position)
15. Folau (Defend as per position / Attack at 13)

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. McMahon
21. Frisby
22. Kerevi
23. Hunt

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last month the Cockatoo Island camp I recall.

I wouldn't read too much into some of the selections there. Sometimes they are an a opportunity to just look closer at someone the coaches haven't necessarily seen up close before and get to know.

Those left out like Robinson and Alexander, the coaches know very well. I'd say that given neither of them are starters or guaranteed bench options, you might as well look at others in a camp like that.

Wasn't this the camp where the selections were decided before the Super Rugby season began?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Just caught the Rebels v. Chiefs match last night before bed. If Harris maintains that form into the next round surely he's got to be a bolter for the squad and possibly a bench option?

He's always been a solid, reliable utility back but he was on fire against a very good Chiefs side. His running game appears to be on another level right now and that was probably the main thing that's held him back in the past.

If I was selecting the side today he'd be in over Hunt. I rate Harris more as a playmaker and he provides another goal kicking option. Hunt still has fundamental positioning issues at the back on defense that the Reds have been punished for this season and I don't think he's really done much special on attack. Sure, he's had some moments - but you'd expect most Super Rugby outside backs to show some flash at least a few times a season.

Everything else aside Harris also has already spent time with the Wallabies, is two years younger than Hunt, and is far less likely to be hopping to another code before the next RWC (not to mention that Karmichael would be 32-33 years old by the next RWC).

TL;DR - Harris > Hunt

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
an England team that without Tuilagi and Farrell

Is Farrell officially out? Last I heard it was possibly just some bruised ribs.

Farrell being out would be an enormous boost for Australia going into the series. He's their best 10 and possibly best 12 right now, too. Ford was off-form in his last few tests and didn't exactly shower himself in glory during the domestic season this year, either.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Wasn't this the camp where the selections were decided before the Super Rugby season began?

Depends what you mean by selections. Always a few locals and youngsters at these sessions. I saw the-player-now-known-as-Nadolo at one once and was filled with optimism that he was about to be selected. He was a beast of a man even then, sadly with two left feet.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Depends what you mean by selections. Always a few locals and youngsters at these sessions. I saw the-player-now-known-as-Nadolo at one once and was filled with optimism that he was about to be selected. He was a beast of a man even then, sadly with two left feet.

And two left feet for hands ;)