• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Palu did stuff in that chiefs game that others don't, I think cheika wants that kind of aggression and leadership in and around the squad

Of the wingers selected who would be most likely to get to the goal line from 30m through a couple of defenders? Again, Naiyaravoro does stuff the others don't and gives cheika a different option

Palu in that Chiefs game brought to mind Willi O in 1998. On the cusp of retirement but nobody had his impact in attack or defence, other players ran wider to avoid him and had that slight hestitation when he went on the charge. Kefu offered a different sort of impact much like Holloway for the Tahs. If Palu hadn't pulled out that game with the Chiefs I wonder if he would have made the cut but he did against pack littered with AB starters. It counts and sets him apart from all the other options at 8 in OZ. Vaea but for health issues could well have been that player.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm afraid I can't disagree more. If Cheika is picking Palu on those few moments in one game he is forgetting the dire moments hes had earlier in the season and his performance at the RWC. The 60 second clip posted on GAGR's facebook page supposedly showed why Palu was picked in the Wallaby squad. To be fair it was also his season highlights.

His ship has sailed and he shouldn't be in the squad in my eyes, and was lucky to make the 40+ squad.

This is just another case of a rep coach picking a player because he knows a player rather than the player deserving it.

yeah, I see the point, but he isn't the first and he won't be the last unit selected on more than just current form

I just try to see why Cheika should and is gambling on him and what he can bring that others aren't

I have the same questions about Mumm, and I think both must add something a bit intangible to the team in attitude, intensity, leadership and experience.

I think a now fit Horwill adds more of those same intangibles

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He gets lost in defence at super level and the queen mary (or its modern equivalent) turns quicker.
If, as seems highly likely, Folau is there to play 13 we'll regret that too.

So did Lomu and quite a few others

But again my point is all about trying to understand, why was he selected? what are his points of difference.

Every player selected has their weaknesses, you work around them

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Naiyaravoro is still very raw, and he doesn't have a huge amount of Super experience under his belt. I agree he is not a finished product, but I can't see why he can't get there in time. Being around a Wallaby camp with Cheik and Bernie can only help him in that regard.

IS - I'm not sure why you think playing Folau at 13 is 'highly likely' - there has been no educated source that says this will be the case. It may turn out to be, but all indicators still suggest Cheika sees Folau as a fullback.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is absolutely bucketing down in SE Qld right now. Chances are it will be a heavy, slow, track.

Expect a very conservative squad for the First Test.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is absolutely bucketing down in SE Qld right now. Chances are it will be a heavy, slow, track.

Expect a very conservative squad for the First Test.

the test is a week away and its meant to be sunny for the rest of the week.

The pitch will be superb,

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
yeah, I see the point, but he isn't the first and he won't be the last unit selected on more than just current form

I just try to see why Cheika should and is gambling on him and what he can bring that others aren't

I have the same questions about Mumm, and I think both must add something a bit intangible to the team in attitude, intensity, leadership and experience.

I think a now fit Horwill adds more of those same intangibles

Wasn't Gregan selected for years on that basis? Splinters/Singer Whitacker had for the final two years far better form at halfback.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
the test is a week away and its meant to be sunny for the rest of the week.

The pitch will be superb,

It does recover well. Depends when the rain eases, of course. Eddie must be having conniptions right now. The Dodgers are based on the Goldie, reportedly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Usually we hope to see a heatwave over the Gold Coast with those the week before the first English test, a good touch of sunburn on their pale skin always helps

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Never thought they would keep Colemand AND Arnold as 2 of the 4 2nd rowers usually in a squad..but then to have 6 2nd rowers picked and not include him.seems odd. I think he'll get his chance Spring Tour

This will be the last season in Gold for Horwill and Mumm, and I'm confident that with the return of Douglas, then Arnold and Coleman will leapfrog Carter in 2017.

But that still leaves 5 - Simmons, Douglas, Skelton, Coleman & Arnold..with Carter still young and around the edges, I hope we don't lose Coleman overseas and to Tonga.

Why would Coleman leave when he's obviously on a fast track to the Wallabies? Fast track meaning right-now-or-the-highway is so Gen-Y.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If CL is still waiting for the birth to happen, and Hunt is carrying an injury so that he can't make the first test side, next week could see Hodge in at 12. Otherwise, I believe Upthereds has probably got the starting side pretty right.

Personally, I think the second row is a bit of a gamble, with Horwill's form having to be taken a bit on faith and (for the only time in my memory, I agree with Kearns) Rob Simmons has not been showing particularly good form. Apart from his lineout calling, he really offers little in open play compared with either Arnold or Coleman who are both more accomplished at those aspects of play.

Whatever side Cheika runs with, if they win the first test I expect to see an unchanged side for the second, injuries permitting. I'd think that any experimenting will be confined to the third test if we are two up by then. Expect some changes though, if we lose the first test.

Cheika and the coaching team won't have to take Horwill's form on faith, because they'll have minutely analyzed it in endless replays and performance metrics. They also get to see him in camp. That's the advantage coaches have over us when selecting overseas players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We've all decided that Coleman is the next big thing, but...... is he?

We are drawn a bit to the romance of the rangy hardman playing for the struggling team, but I'm not sure he's exactly what we think he is.

Don't get me wrong, he's a nice prospect, but his form has been patchy this year. He drifts in and out of games. He doesn't have the destructive power of Arnold, the lineout skills of Simmons, the deft hands of Skelton.

There is a real chance we've overestimated how good he is. That doesn't mean he can't be good. I really want him to be good. But maybe...... he isn't.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
We've all decided that Coleman is the next big thing, but.. is he?

We are drawn a bit to the romance of the rangy hardman playing for the struggling team, but I'm not sure he's exactly what we think he is.

Don't get me wrong, he's a nice prospect, but his form has been patchy this year. He drifts in and out of games. He doesn't have the destructive power of Arnold, the lineout skills of Simmons, the deft hands of Skelton.

There is a real chance we've overestimated how good he is. That doesn't mean he can't be good. I really want him to be good. But maybe.. he isn't.

I think it was Eales picking him as a future Wallaby when he first saw him that started that particular train rolling.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We've all decided that Coleman is the next big thing, but.. is he?

There is a real chance we've overestimated how good he is. That doesn't mean he can't be good. I really want him to be good. But maybe.. he isn't.

I agree.........

He's shown plenty of promise but his form hasn't been consistent enough to justify selection.