• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
How is playing for Toulon a "year off"?

because he hasnt played even close to a full season considering injuries, player rotation at Toulon and his sevens stint, on top of that i doubt his body has gone through anything as strenuous as a full super rugby and test season. whilst its hardly a sabbatical, by the looks of social media its still be a good break for him. i believe hes currently with his girlfriend in Rome.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
because he hasnt played even close to a full season considering injuries, player rotation at Toulon and his sevens stint, on top of that i doubt his body has gone through anything as strenuous as a full super rugby and test season. whilst its hardly a sabbatical, by the looks of social media its still be a good break for him. i believe hes currently with his girlfriend in Rome.

Shit he's had a few years off, playing good consistent rugby

He might be ready to go !

dabiged

Stan Wickham (3)
Why have the ARU not organized mid-week matches for this English tour like the Chiefs-Wales game last week. The ARU are certainly short of of funds and this seems like easy money. There are 5 idle super rugby teams looking to stay on top of their game, and I am sure the English would be interested in giving some of their second tier players some game time.

Does anyone know why this didn't happen?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and I am sure the English would be interested in giving some of their second tier players some game time.

Does anyone know why this didn't happen?

I would say it is the other way around.

The RFU would request warm up/midweek matches, not the ARU.

I'm sure the ARU would be incredibly happy if the RFU wanted some.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Shit he's had a few years off, playing good consistent rugby

He might be ready to go !

you're not wrong and i know your feelings towards re-signing quade if he demands top dollar, and i agree it has been 2 or 3 years since we have seen that form for the wallabies, and even longer at the reds. but its also been a very long time since we have had a quade Cooper who has even been able to string any decent amount of games together. I'm not saying he is the messiah, for the reds or for the wallabies. but i would put money on the fact that if he did actually get a full super rugby season that he would at least provide us a better option at flyhalf then Foley. Who knows, if we sign Quade he might end up injured for the majority of the season once again and we are right where we are now with Foley as the only conceivable option. but at least this year has given him a chance to let some of those old injuries heal and not get any new ones.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep it's always at the request of the touring team not the host team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
you're not wrong and i know your feelings towards re-signing quade if he demands top dollar, and i agree it has been 2 or 3 years since we have seen that form for the wallabies, and even longer at the reds. but its also been a very long time since we have had a quade Cooper who has even been able to string any decent amount of games together. I'm not saying he is the messiah, for the reds or for the wallabies. but i would put money on the fact that if he did actually get a full super rugby season that he would at least provide us a better option at flyhalf then Foley. Who knows, if we sign Quade he might end up injured for the majority of the season once again and we are right where we are now with Foley as the only conceivable option. but at least this year has given him a chance to let some of those old injuries heal and not get any new ones.

I've always been a bit of a Quade fan (although he has tested the limits of faith at times), and it would do him no harm just to have lived and played amongst a different mindset and style of rugby, in terms of broadening his skillset and knowledge. We always knew he had the talent and skills, when on, to create great play, but it was the ability and knowledge to play "meat and potatoes" when required that was sometimes lacking. If his hunger to succeed is not sated, he could well come back a far better overall player. I hope he does. As we see in NZ, it is never a problem to have a few number 10s pushing each other for higher honours, and to provide depth. I think players like Quade and Foley could both learn a lot from each other in the right environment, and it would be to the great benefit of Aus rugby. Throw in some younger guys like Greene, Debreczini et al and there is some potential.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
.....i would put money on the fact that if (QC (Quade Cooper)) did actually get a full super rugby season that he would at least provide us a better option at flyhalf then Foley.

Big call from a cricketer, BIG call. Do you wear your rose-tinted glasses to bed, PT?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Foley got the job at the RWC for a reason. QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't rediscovered the magic that made him such a dynamo a few years ago. It's up to him to play Super rugby and prove that he can be that player again.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Big call from a cricketer, BIG call. Do you wear your rose-tinted glasses to bed, PT?

no i take them off before bed, its awfully uncomfortable trying to sleep with them on. but i dont think its a big call at all. what have you seen that demonstrates that bernard foley is a better option then QC (Quade Cooper)? other then the English Pool game can you name any stand out performances from Foley?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley are two different types of players. QC (Quade Cooper) is more eye catching in terms of his outrageous skill at times, like a Carlos Spencer or Larkham, whereas Foley is considerably more understated, like Noddy. I would say that Foley is generally a solid and dependable player around whom you can base a certain kind of game plan. QC (Quade Cooper) would have enjoyed K-squared outside him in this series though. Foley is more suited to a Gits, To'omua or Beale at 12.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
you're right they are different players, ones a playmaker who creates opportunities for his outside backs, and the others Bernard Foley. The difference between Noddy and Foley is that Noddy was one of our greatest ever kickers whereas foley isnt any better then cooper both from the tee and in general play. Foley needs Beale or Giteau to make him look like a good option because he cant create many opportunities for the other backs himself.

I'm not trying to hate on foley as much as it seems, i think hes a wonderful player who has a lot of good traits, but i value playmaking, his ability to create opportunities for the other players, above all others when it comes to flyhalves and when Foley isnt any better at kicking or defending then Quade, and is definitely not as good at passing as Cooper then i dont see a lot of reasons to have foley there instead . now whos to say Quade wont come back and be as inconsistent as ever? he might be. i put that inconsistency down to not playing a lot of footy since 2013 where he was fantastic for the wallabies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
At this stage QC (Quade Cooper) is out of the running until he gets some more footy under his belt. His time with Toulon hasn't set the world on fire and he's got something to prove for mine. He has to be playing better than the incumbent for there to be a change IMHO. Cheik will give him a fair hearing, of that I have no doubt. It's up to him now.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
At this stage QC (Quade Cooper) is out of the running until he gets some more footy under his belt. His time with Toulon hasn't set the world on fire and he's got something to prove for mine. He has to be playing better than the incumbent for there to be a change IMHO. Cheik will give him a fair hearing, of that I have no doubt. It's up to him now.

you're definitely right and it seems Cheika would give him more then a fair chance if Quade came back, its definitely all up to him to perform.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting that EJ (Eddie Jones) himself affirms (link below) that the England attack in T2 was 'almost non-existent'.

Of course it was. I don't think I've ever seen a Test team so overwhelmingly neutralise another for all of 80 as well as England did to Aus in T2.

And Larkham's homogeneous version of 'attack' enabled them to do so.

We are either repetitive and predictable, or chronically error-ridden under pressure. Or both in bursts. England masterfully exploit, they don't need to attack. 15 handling errors by Aus in T2, to England's 1.

Our failings are now emerging clearly as two-fold, and are interacting as in negative synergy, with awful results.

First, we have decade-long systemic failings in Aus rugby skill development, kicking from hand being the most obvious. Second, we have serious weaknesses in Chieka's coaching group that are ever more obviously exposed as the the calibre of opposition, and importantly opposition coaching, markedly improves.

No one seems as upset about it as they used to be in such cases, but 2 Tests and a Series lost to England at home is nothing short of a disaster for Australian rugby in code attention and code-share terms.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/738772698b1440f6ac841bd0cf5d9376

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To me, QC (Quade Cooper) looked at his best when he could hand off to a running back (Digby) under pressure who could make the hard yards and the Reds could re-set, since then he has consistently struggled and resorts too often to 20m lateral miracle passes

Nice to see him coming back, but he definitely is no messiah

T

TOCC

Quade suits a very specific style of game, he thrives in up tempo games with a mobile forward pack to cover a lot of ground and backs running varied lines and angles. That wasn't the style of game that RG coached and it's not the way the Wallabies are playing at the moment either.

Quade would go no better then Foley in the current Wallabies game plan..