• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Yellow Scarf World XV 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
1. Tony Woodcock (50% of the vote)
2. Stephen Moore (69.2)
3. Euan Murray (41.7)
4. Kevin Horwill (50)
5. Victor Matfield (58.3)
6. Thierry Desautoir (38.5)
7. Richie McCaw (80)
8. Sergio Parisse (53.8 )
9. Fourie DuPreez (46.2)
10 Dan Carter (100)
11. Joe Rokocoko (46.2)
12. Ma'a Nonu (53.3)
13. Stirling Mortlock (64.3)
14. Shane Williams (92.3)
15. Mils Muli'iana (46.7)

..... and the coach? The Henry Cartel (42.9)

F

formeropenside

Most unlike the TSF "World" XV from both the North AND South islands!

R

rugbywhisperer

Just waiting for Lindommer to pull up on the wrong first name(s). :lmao: :lmao: :fishing

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You can go forth and multiply, you treacherous bastard from the wastelands of the Woods.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
You can go forth and multiply, you treacherous bastard from the wastelands of the Woods.

Oh come on that was funny or at least a great comeback.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The only one I find really odd is Kev over Bakkies. Only a bunch of Aussies could vote for that.

Otherwise, yes, we are broad-minded and tolerant people.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scarfman said:
The only one I find really odd is Kev over Bakkies. Only a bunch of Aussies could vote for that.

Otherwise, yes, we are broad-minded and tolerant people.

or over Matfield, honestly thought he had a shit year, id put both AB locks over him and guys like Horwil (less games of course)and Sharpe too.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This is my World XV and why from TSF:

15. Mils NZL
14. Williams WAL
13. Mortlock AUS
12. Giteau AUS
11. Rok NZL
10. Carter NZL
9. Blair SCO
8. Parisse ITA
7. McCaw NZL
6. Dusatoir FRA
5. Botha SA
4. POC IRE
3. Murray SCO
2. Moore AUS
1. Woody NZL

16. Du Plessis SA
17. One of those big munters who can play both sides. None of the Aussies, ABs, Saffers, English or Irish though. I'm sure the Argies or the Italians have a good prop and I was impressed with the Scottish LH but not sure if he can play both sides. Jenkins and Jones from Wales are also good.
18. Mumm (covers lock and backrow and has been impressive) AUS
19. G. Smith AUS
20. Pienaar SA
21. Nonu NZL
22. Hernandez ARG

Right. What a team. 6 Kiwis, 4 Aussies (avoiding, I hope, a bias), 3 South Africans, 2 Scots, 1 Welshman, 1 Italian, 1 Frenchman, 1 Argentinian and one reserve front rower of unknown origin.

You have an aggressive tight five who are good at their core functions and around the field as well as a dynamic and skilfull back row. Dusatoir and Parisse both impressed me. McCaw gets 7, but I would be rotating him and Smith over the 5 test series against the Martian XXII. POC and Botha would rule in the lineouts with support from Parisse more so than Dussatoir and McCaw.

Blair looked good and would provide excellent service to Giteau and Carter who are swapping about between 10 and 12. Mortlock is there for static ball crash balls and because he is still the best line runner as a 13. The back three are all dynamic and will break you if given space. Not too worried about Williams turning the ball over because he has improved in that respect and he will have McCaw, Dussatoir and Parisse with him all day, all day, all day.

Versatility on the bench, particularly in the backs where Pienaar can play 9 or 10 (or wing or fullback), Nonu and Hernandez can both play 12, 13, Nonu wing and Hernandez fullback. Mumm offers cover at lock and 6. Smith can cover 7 and 8 (if necessary).

Carter, Giteau, Pienaar and Hernandez can all kick as well.

On my ommissions:

The unluckiest player is Lee Byrne. If Mils is injured he comes straight into the starting team. I see my bench as the best bench players and not necessarily the best (and in some cases not the second best either) in any position. I seriously do not see why everyone loves Burger. He's noticeable and busy but doesnt offer the subtlety, linking and additional skills that I want. I would play Juan Smith in front of Burger and put him straight into the starting lineup if Dussatoir was injured. I reckon Tialata is a ballet dancer in a props body. I dont rate him at all. Mealamu just missed out but with the crowds these games are going to draw, he will never hear the lineout calls so that clinched it. Thorn, Williams, Matfield, Hines (from Scotland) and the French guy (cant think of his name) were all considered. Sharpe has been in good form too but POC and Botha are my favoured pairing to take on the Martians. Botha is there to really get in their green faces and POC because I like the contrast of green and red. I didnt consider Horwill because of injury. JdV is also unlucky. Again, he would be a straight swap if Giteau was injured. Habana is out of form. Sivi always seems to me to be coasting a bit too much. Whilst I can see how dangerous he is, I cant get past that. Conrad is solid rather than sensational, Rodders, Powell, Lobbe and Palu would come into consideration as the next no. 8.

If someone can offer a good alternative lock/6 then I would consider replacing Mumm. I think Mumm is good, but, apart from Roussow, who I dont rate that much, and MMM, I couldnt think of other options and I would prefer to have the option of a lock/6 on the bench than a pure lock.

When are we playing because these guys are going to carve?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Dusautoir is not a blindside flanker. Why do 'best of' teams always have 2 opensides ? Sure, France tend to play left and right flankers but Juan Smith is special talent and its a slap in the face to blindsides everywhere that he'd not be an automatic selection.

Matfield had a shithouse year and was lucky to hold his spot in the Boks.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't think Matfield deserves to be there either, if 2008 form is the measurement. To be honest, Sharpe was a lot better, and i would rate Thorne ahead of him as well.

Won't argue against any of the other selections.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
POC? He always gets picked in World teams and I've never seen him play all that well. Mind I only watch him about once a year, but still.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
formeropenside said:
Most unlike the TSF "World" XV from both the North AND South islands!

Sorry to revive this thread, but I chuckled at this quote when it was said. I didn't think TSF teams were too badly biased; sure they were biased, but not awfully so.

But this year it looks like 14 of the 15 players in the TSF World XV team will be from NZ - not to mention that the next best players in quite a few positions are also All Blacks. For an AB team that didn't win every game and had to come from behind late to win a few more, or struggled to put other teams away until the 60th minute, it's a bit mystifing. I tend to think the above team is more well rounded.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course in saying that, Matfield, Du Preez and Rokocoko are all in the above team on performances from previous years. Matfield was well below his usual standard, Du Preez was injured a lot of the time and never came back to his full fitness, and Rokocoko barely played apart from the end of year tour.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ash said:
For an AB team that didn't win every game and had to come from behind late to win a few more, or struggled to put other teams away until the 60th minute, it's a bit mystifing.

Yet they were pretty successful at putting teams away by the 80th minute, which probably counts for more :nta:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
NTA said:
Ash said:
For an AB team that didn't win every game and had to come from behind late to win a few more, or struggled to put other teams away until the 60th minute, it's a bit mystifing.

Yet they were pretty successful at putting teams away by the 80th minute, which probably counts for more :nta:

I don't think so - as the point had to do with how many of the All Blacks you'd have in a World XV. There's no denying they are the best team in the world. But they haven't dominated teams like other All Blacks teams of the past.

An All Blacks team that, say, dominated Australia in all three of the games that the Blacks won - instead of just one, or dominated their NH opponents instead of trailing or being close at half time might have a very very strong argument in realistic terms of getting 14 of 15 players in a world XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.