• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

This Super Rugby Draft proposal thing?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think some people are getting confused with the draft. It isn’t about Ardie Savea been selected by the Waratahs, that just wouldn’t happen. He would have an existing contract with his own team and free to negotiate under his own terms.

It would be putting the current 17-18yr old future Ardie Savea into a draft to go to the team that selects him for a nominated contract period, where after that time he would then be free to sign wherever he wishes.

The open boarders concept is where a Damien McKenzie could play for the Force, if they both agreed on a contract together. While also allowing him to continue to play for the All Blacks.

The impact of a draft is in 3-5yrs after the selections. We praise clubs like the Brumbies, Crusaders etc. been great breeding grounds, but in the current age of professionalism they do have a huge advantage because they attract all the best talent as players want to go to winning environments. It’s why there is a lot of QLDers playing in the ACT and Auckland’ers playing in Canterbury. It’s not that they identified the Rob Valetini’s and nobody else did, it’s he specifically nominated to go there out of the other 4 basically identical contracts offered to him. Continuing the pipeline of elite talent in selected teams.

It means that even at a youth level, teams near the bottom either have to over promise and potentially over pay prospects to remain or come to the system.

I don’t think it will happen, but it can be a good equalization method over time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The money on offer for draftees would have to be pretty good to make it work I reckon. The base wage of $50-70k ain't it.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I support an Australian draft that get Australian players to our clubs when combined with some sort of transfer fee payable to the state that develops the player.

I dont support an international draft, I dont want to support an Australian franchise that has no Australian players playing for them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yeah good point, how come the NRL don't do it?
It is illegal

Tutty’s lawyers argued the player contracting rules amounted an unreasonable restraint of trade. NSW Rugby League argued it was a voluntary association whose rules had no contractual effect, that its rules did not restrain trade, and if they did it was no more than was reasonable.

The High Court agreed with the lower court. The ruling is close to 10,000 words long but its essential point was that the rules binding Tutty to Balmain were “a restraint of trade which is unreasonable and unjustified”.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think some people are getting confused with the draft. It isn’t about Ardie Savea been selected by the Waratahs, that just wouldn’t happen. He would have an existing contract with his own team and free to negotiate under his own terms.
No one thinks it's that, we all understand it's for players entering the comp (or rookies).

That's why I said free movement is more important than a draft.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Was also just thinking about the Draft and how contact sports are very different. I don’t consider the AFL a brutal contact sport as the players aren’t necessarily as large in weight.

The draft for the NFL requires a minimum of 2 years of college I believe? Means the players at youngest will be 20 before being considered. Only outliers in Rugby debut in their teens. We would be screaming at our teams to PLAY OUR DRAFT PICK but what if they aren’t up to it?

Don’t know if this has been discussed already but would it be a u21s draft so you can watch the U20s WC? Instead of comparing Schoolboys.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ruckmen are probably the best one for one comparison when it comes to a level of physical maturity, particularly for tight five forwards. Now occasionally someone is taken within the top 25 and performs well within their first couple of seasons (Brodie Grundy and Tim English are the only ones in the last 10 drafts I can recall), but are more often taken later in the draft, in the "rookie draft" on 1 year deals, in their overage year (U18 sides in the "club" competitions are allowed to play a small number of players in their U19 year, even though they're not eligible for Rep footy) or in their early 20s. And a number get shuffled around ad nauseum as depth or developing options until something clicks.

On the drafting 20 year olds moving in their 21st year, what happens to Development/Academy type players? Are they going without financial support and professional diet/fitness/coaching for those two years? Do we have to wait an extra 12 months to start seeing Jorgenson, or 3 years to see James O'Connor?

Many questions...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was also just thinking about the Draft and how contact sports are very different. I don’t consider the AFL a brutal contact sport as the players aren’t necessarily as large in weight.

The draft for the NFL requires a minimum of 2 years of college I believe? Means the players at youngest will be 20 before being considered. Only outliers in Rugby debut in their teens. We would be screaming at our teams to PLAY OUR DRAFT PICK but what if they aren’t up to it?

Don’t know if this has been discussed already but would it be a u21s draft so you can watch the U20s WC? Instead of comparing Schoolboys.
If a player is drafted in AFL etc, how long are they drafted to team for?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If a player is drafted in AFL etc, how long are they drafted to team for?

2 Year contract if taken in the standard draft, with financial terms based on where they were taken. 1 year if taken in the rookie draft which has a lower financial term again. Discussion has come around the past 5 or so years to extend that initial contract out to 3 or 2+1 or 2+2 for players taken in the first 15-25 to assist clubs both lower down the ladder and outside the home state of the drafted player to help retain (or get value in return) talented players at risk of leaving early. The less important drafts allow players to set terms (typically only established players do so, but some players are willing to take on 6 month contracts midseason for any opportunity, other set 18 or 30 month terms to ensure they don't upheave a career/education/partner without some security).