• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tim Lanes kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tim's kid plying his trade for Bishops here in Slaapstad. Now Bishops sure is one the posh schools around and Jake Whites , Trevor Manuel, Guy Kebble and Rob Mugabes boys resident there. Also many international teams use there facilities when visiting Newlands.

This one from Keo
What’s been the highlight of your rugby career so far?
Beating Paarl Gym 5-0 at the WP Schools Day at Newlands this year.

What are your big strengths?
Things like my calmness on the field, my passing and kicking games. I think I’ve got a pretty well-rounded game.

Your dad, Tim, was an assistant coach for the Wallabies and Boks. Has he played a big role in your rugby development?
My dad has always been there to give me advice on little things after matches. I used to hate it and thought he was criticising me, but now I realise he’s trying to help me so I listen to him. He, like my mum, always gets me off the couch … even at his old age he helps me with my passing, kicking and running! But I think the biggest thing he’s shown me is that things in rugby – and life – don’t just happen because I want them to. They will only happen if I’m willing to make them happen.

Who else has influenced your career?
My coaches at school, Mr [Dave] Mallett, Kevin Foote and Gareth Hayden. They always guide me which helps develop my game. I think my mum has probably had the biggest influence on me though, she’s always the one that keeps me going when I’m lazy.

Who’s your favourite player?
Dan Carter, because of his ability to read and control the game. He seems to bring a certain calmness out in the guys around him.

And your favourite team?
Queensland Reds.

Your toughest opponent?
When I was at home in Sydney I remember playing a New Zealand school side – some of the Maori and islander boys really let you know they’re there and make you think twice about things.

What are your future ambitions?
I’d like to take everything as it comes, to continue playing rugby and see where it takes me. To be able to play at the highest level possible and just see how things go. Hopefully one day I’ll get to play in a Test match.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tomorrow 4 final trial teams for WeePee Craven Week teams will play another at Bellville. Saw he made one of the teams but to be honest I think Hauptfleish, a 17 year old Paarl Boishaaier look the favourate to make the WP team. Hauptfleish have a Crusaders contract and score the most points in our Grant Khomo week in 2008. The Grant Khomo week is the sort of U17 tournament to get the Craven Week players right for the following year.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well to make Bishops first team not easy. In all the top rugby schools around here they have about 5 to 7 U18 teams. To get into this final trial teams as a soutie from Bishops even more difficult. You have to remember that aesily 70% yearly of the WP Craven Week team come from the Paarl big 3 (Gim, Boishaai, Landbou) and Paul Roos.

I havent watch him play but reading through the articles he sure look a good player. We'll see if he makes WP Craven Week side. If he is picked you can forget, he'll get a free WP Academy contract.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sam look like going strong at the moment or the last week. Made it in the three final WP schools team that will play Boland today in Wellington and play a huge role in Bishops beating Paul Roos on saturday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tomorrow a big clash, Sam getting Craven Week for Bishops against Paarl Boishaai Hauptfleish making the Academy side in confrontation.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
and got clobbert by Paarl Boishaai at home. ::) but Bishops two top guns havent played

http://www.rugby365.com/schools/news/1721932.htm

just to show the depth we have is that Paarl Gyms 10 from last year Jurgen Visser played over the weekend for WP against EP and a great game. Grant look on his way to a french club and Rassie sure now starting to graft in the debt around in WP.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
WP Craven Week side

L Solomons (Scotssdene), T Mbovane (PRG), J du Plessis (PRG), J Esterhuizen (Paarl Gim), W van Wyk (Paarl Gim), R Schoeder (PRG) (k), C Smith ((Paarl Gim), N Carr (Bishops), H Marcus (Exelsior), W van der Sluys (Paarl Boishaai), E Etsebeth (Tygr), F Malherbe (Paarl Boishaai), G Topkan (Rondebosch), A Botha (Paarl Boishaai), N Rautenbagh (Paarl Boishaai), S Kitshoff (PRG), B Steyn (PRG), J Reyneke (Tyg), J Rossouw (Strand), S Lane (Bishops), C Barry (PRG)

Paul Rosers (6), Paarl Boishaai (4), Paarl Gim(3) = 13 out of 21 from the wineland area.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to Tim, his kid is now official on his way to become a Stormer player
Rugbymatters
WP U19 Squad 2010
1 Adriaan Botha WPRI
2 Frans Malherbe WPRI
3 Zolani Faku WPRI
4 Jacques Kotze WPRI
5 Stephan Schoeman WPRI
6 Niel Rautenbach WPRI
7 Siyabonga Ntubeni WPRI
8 Wilhelm van der Sluys WPRI
9 Eben Etzebeth WPRI
10 Cameron Lindsey WPRI
11 Nizaam Carr WPRI
12 JP Swanepoel WPRI
13 Kobus Porter WPRI
14 Siyamthanda Kolisi WPRI
15 Rick Schroeder WPRI
16 Michael van der Spuy Maties
17 William van Wyk WPRI
18 Christoff Fernhout Maties
19 Sam Lane WPRI
20 Damian de Ellende Milnerton
21 David Strachen Maties
22 Bradley Mentoor WPRI
23 Craig Pheiffer HS Tygerberg
24 Clearance Khumalo WPRI
25 Ulrich Beyers WPRI

T

tpain

I hear he is keen to get back to aus soon. Should we be getting hold of him?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well he sure must have talent to make the WP U19 team. Plays 10/12 dads talent in the vains, make the phone call before he get into the SA teams.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sam Lane has just been picked for SA U20 final trials

South Africa Under-20 (revised):

Fullbacks: Jaco van Tonder (Sharks), Ulrich Beyers (Blue Bulls), Riaan Britz (Free State).

Wings: Courtnall Skosana (Blue Bulls), Emil Schwarz (Sharks), Mandla Dube (Sharks).

Centres: Francois Venter (Blue Bulls), Sam Lane (Western Province), Bradley Moolman (Blue Bulls), Paul Jordaan (Sharks), Piet Lindeque (Sharks), Heimar Williams (Sharks), Andries Swanepoel (Free State), Jan Serfontein (Free State), Jacobus Lourens (Leopards).

Flyhalves: Garth April (Golden Lions), Tony Jantjies (Blue Bulls).

Scrumhalves: Ricky Schroeder (Western Province), Lohan Jacobs (Blue Bulls), Kevin Luiters (Free State).

Loose forwards: Arno Botha (Blue Bulls), Marcell Coetzee (Sharks), Siseko Jafta (Sharks), Cornell du Preez (Leopards), Gabriel Strydom (Leopards), Siya Kolisi (Western Province), Nizaam Carr (Western Province), Jean Cook (Free State).

Locks: Eben Etzebeth (Western Province), Wilhelm van der Slys (Western Province), Ruan Venter (Golden Lions), Jose Julies (Blue Bulls).

Hookers: Mbongeni Mbonambi (Blue Bulls), Bernard Van Heerden (Free State), Jacques Momberg (Blue Bulls), Bonga Ntubeni (Western Province).

Props: Juan Schoeman (Blue Bulls), Stephan Kotze (Free State), Wiseman Kamanga (Golden Lions), Frans Malherbe (Western Province), Nicholas Schonert (Sharks), Moshudu Masela (Leopards).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So it looks as though he is opting to rule himself out of returning to Oz? Not many situations I can think of recently where players in either cricket or rugby have chosen South Africa over either the UK or Australia.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So it looks as though he is opting to rule himself out of returning to Oz? Not many situations I can think of recently where players in either cricket or rugby have chosen South Africa over either the UK or Australia.
Maybe rugby but cricket I beg differ. Tahir from Pakistan made his way just now in the Protea squad and there is some Poms playing in our domestic cricket and CC rugby. KP as an example did prepare for the Ashes in our local CC cricket league.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Made the trimed SA U20 squad of 30

SA U20 Trials Squad (Updated):

Fullbacks: Ulrich Beyers (Blue Bulls)

Riaan Britz (Free State)

Wings: Emile Schwartz (The Sharks)

Mandla Dube (The Sharks)

Sizo Maseko (Western Province)

Clarence Khumalo (Western Province)

Centres: Kobus Lourens (Platinum Leopards)

Heimar Williams (The Sharks)

Piet Lindeque (The Sharks)

Flyhalves: Tony Jantjies (Blue Bulls)

Sam Lane (Western Province)

Scrumhalves: Ricky Schroeder (Western Province)

Lohan Jacobs (Blue Bulls)

Kevin Luiters (Free State)

Loose forwards: Arno Botha (Blue Bulls)

Marcell Coetzee (The Sharks)

Brendan Groenewald (Free State)

Jean Cook (Free State)

Ernie Strydom (Platinum Leopards)

Nizaam Carr (Western Province)

Locks: Jose Julies (Blue Bulls)

Eben Etzebeth (Western Province)

Carl Wegner (Free State)

Ruan Venter (Lions)

Hookers: Bongi Mbonambi (Blue Bulls)

Baksteen van Heerden (Free State)

Props: Stefan Kotze (Free State)

John Roy Jenkins (Platinum Leopards)

Nick Schonnet (The Sharks)

Juan Schoeman (Blue Bulls)

T

tommyismeisgood

unfortunately recently he tore his ACL so won't be playing in the under 20s this year.. would be good having him over in australia though!

Status
Not open for further replies.