• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tom Donnelly now a Crusader

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

undercoverkiwi

Gutted about this. Gutted for Tom Donnelly in general. There's no way he deserved to be discarded for Hoeata. He came into the ABs in a time in need and has never put a foot wrong. Top player, good luck to him at the Cnutsaders.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's is a perplexing decision.

He had a bad run of injuries but to get through a Super season you need four good locks and I can't believe the Highlanders have four better than him. Great replacement for Thorn at the Crusaders. Onward and upwards for the buggers,

U

undercoverkiwi

That's is a perplexing decision.

He had a bad run of injuries but to get through a Super season you need four good locks and I can't believe the Highlanders have four better than him. Great replacement for Thorn at the Crusaders. Onward and upwards for the buggers,

It's madness to let hm go, IMO. He's a stalwart, experienced, and consistent. Just when the Highlanders were building a handy team...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You have to praise the Crusaders recruiting system, though. They just always seem to roll out the quality replacements or young talent, and more often than not they perform well.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
They just continue to steal Otago's talent

I wouldnt consider it a steal when Donnelly was being treated like he wasnt even wanted. I have said it before there is no such thing as poaching or stealing talent, players go to other teams if they are miserable or lacking opportunites, forced out because they are no longer good enough, or good enough to go wherever they want because they are good enough.

I will say its annoying to see good players leave a club you support and some tactics that get used are questionable at times (such as at club level I've seen local young talented kids get pressured by stronger clubs to come over to them it often puts them in an uncomfortable & intimidating situation). But for the most part, for adults anyway, people are wise enough to size up their options and choose themselves from the options they've got whats right for them. Tom has chosen wisely.

T

tblackadder

youd have to say hes the perfect replacement for thorn (in nz rugby talent terms)...no frills lock

now pencil him in to be picked in abs in 2012

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I rate Donnelly quite highly, he's one of those locks that very good at the lineout and very aggressive and effective at the breakdown. Similar to Vickerman. However I'm not sure he's good next to Whitelock - Romano would be better combination with either so Donelley might be sitting on the bench again.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he is a perfect fit for Whitelock in Super Rugby. It allows Whitelock to play a looser game, which suits him. Donnely is more than physical enough to pick up where Thorne left off (well close enough for Super Rugby).

Having said that Romano has looked good this year in the ITM so you may be right.

Reactions: Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.