• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tournament Rule if Pool Points are Equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know how the winner of a pool will be determined if two or more teams have equal points?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now in these reduced overs matches, the umpires have to decide how many overs are to be bowled, if and when the rain should stop. Not only that, they must also decide the new run rate required by the batting side, per the new number of overs to be bowled...

And they do this by multiplying the number of balls bowled, by the number of balls faced. Then dividing that figure by the average age of the batting side, minus, the number of spanners in a sidchrome tool kit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now in these reduced overs matches, the umpires have to decide how many overs are to be bowled, if and when the rain should stop. Not only that, they must also decide the new run rate required by the batting side, per the new number of overs to be bowled...

And they do this by multiplying the number of balls bowled, by the number of balls faced. Then dividing that figure by the average age of the batting side, minus, the number of spanners in a sidchrome tool kit.

Ah, Duckworth-Lewis. I thought as much.

But seriously it is points differential right?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
RWC Countback.

1. The winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
2. The team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
3. The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
4. The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
5. The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
6. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated Official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011.

J

Jay

Does anyone know how the winner of a pool will be determined if two or more teams have equal points?

If it's two teams then the winner of the head to head goes through.

Next is for & against, then tries for & against, then total points scored, then total tries scored.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
1. the winner of the match in which the two tied teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked;
2. The te4am which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
3. The team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
4. The team which has scored most points in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
5. The team which has scored most tries in all its pool matches shall be the higher ranked;
6. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the team that is higher ranked in the updated official IRB World Rankings on October 3, 2011

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thank you all - both the witty and the factual.
From a Wallaby supporters POV it was not the answer I hoped for. Bugger.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Thank you all - both the witty and the factual.
From a Wallaby supporters POV it was not the answer I hoped for. Bugger.

Why? Ireland have no bonus point thus far. Wallabies have 1. If we get a BP against USA and Russia then we will top the pool if ireland loses to Italy (even if they also get a BP against Italy and Russia).
If Ireland beats Italy then we cant top the pool regardless.
So its unlikely to be an issue.... (or am I being too presumptious in thinking we have the cattle to get a BP against the USA...)

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
So say Ireland, Aus and Italy all finish with 3 wins and a loss.
I assume it would go like this
1st - Ireland (cause they beat Australia)
2nd - Australia
3rd - Italy (cause they lost to Australia?)

Or becuase there is 3 equal teams it then goes on for and against? etc etc down the list.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The bonus point issue to me is the reason we should have taken the three right at the end instead of pushing for the try. There was never enough time to win, we would have had to score the try, convert and then score again and there wasn't time for that.

Had we kicked that goal, we would have got a bonus point which when added to the first bonus point plus another two (presumptions I know) would have equalled another win.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
True MT but it wouldn't have changed much, not when the game winner goes ahead in the case of a pool points draw. We had run close a couple of times, a try would also have yielded a bonus point, and a much more respectable scoreline. And a small moral victory of 1 try to nil.

Now I have my head around the loss, being on either side doesn't phase me as much as it did. When you get down to it the meaning of the loss is less the side of the draw, as both sides of it will be very tough. It is more that it casts a very real doubt on the teams character and capacity to win the tough games ahead.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So say Ireland, Aus and Italy all finish with 3 wins and a loss.
I assume it would go like this
1st - Ireland (cause they beat Australia)
2nd - Australia
3rd - Italy (cause they lost to Australia?)

Or becuase there is 3 equal teams it then goes on for and against? etc etc down the list.

It would be highly unlikely that all three teams finish on the same points in that situation. Someone would have more bonus points than the other two.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
of course its highly unlikely - but its possible. Hey - it was unlikely that Samoa would beat Australia a few months back, it was unlikely Ireland would beat us last saturday, it was unlikely France would beat the all blacks in 99 and 07.... see my point?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The bonus point issue to me is the reason we should have taken the three right at the end instead of pushing for the try. There was never enough time to win, we would have had to score the try, convert and then score again and there wasn't time for that.

Had we kicked that goal, we would have got a bonus point which when added to the first bonus point plus another two (presumptions I know) would have equalled another win.

This. If there's one thing HEC rugby teaches you about managing pools, it is; always, always, always, get something from a game. Get one, then get your four; get your four, then get your five; but never, ever, ever leave with nothing. If it's ten to go, you're no more than 10 down, and you get a kickable penalty, kick it. At the worst, you get the ball back from a 22; at best, you've got your one point, and you get the ball back from their kick-off so you can go after the four points.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)

There were enough minutes on the clock for Aus to score the 3 points and then go for the try knowing they would receive the ball directly from the re-start. No matter what way you look at it, the smart thing for Horwill to do was to take the 3 pts and then have that opportunity to win knowing they would regain possession with a couple of minutes on the clock. Instead, he had a rush of blood to the head. As other posters have pointed out before me, if Elsom had been guilty of such stupidity, there would certainly be more of an outcry. It was not Horwill’s finest 80 minutes of leadership, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.