• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TPN's first throw...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As soon as TPN lined up for his first line out last night I had a feeling it would be bad.

Is it just me or is his first throw in EVERY game he plays terrible? I know it is not easy running on and having to throw a line out straight away, but would he practice his range before going on the field? or would he just jog around to warm up?

It seems to me that we have the worst throwing hookers in the S14, what are we missing?

Surely it can be trained into our hookers, it must be really annoying to the other forwards (unless it is raining hard, or very windy).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TPN has been excellent in the first two games and was fine after the error, the lineouts were being hotly contested and a missed lineout isn't just the hooker. The Tahs don't have a a monster lineout and teams consider it an error to be hotly pressured.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
No surprise there. What I'm trying to understand is why they aren't using Chris Thompson more in the lineout, and why he's packing in scrums on the loosehead side.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
lineout = 2/5 hooker, 2/5 lifters and 1/5 jumper.

arguably you could switch the lifters and jumper around in worth but that is basically right.
tpn wasnt fully to blame.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Those fractions are fine until you compare one hooker with another. If one bloke is nailing them and another bloke not, it narrows down the explanations.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
en_force_er said:

Disagree. Jumper is the most important person in the lineout, as his positioning and quality of jump affects the quality of ball dramatically. If he can come across and make an effective two hand take then the half gets quick clean ball. A bad jump means either poor quality ball or none at all. The lifters are secondary in this process.

So I would say 1/2 jumper, 2/5 thrower, 1/10 lifter. But now I am begining to sound like Eddie Jones...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
en_force_er said:

arguably you could switch the lifters and jumper around in worth but that is basically right.
tpn wasnt fully to blame.
TPN has had enough apologies made on his behalf over the past few seasons. He really ought to be better now. Other weeks this season he has looked OK.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would love to see throw in stats as in how many thrown & how many hit the mark and I bet that TPN isn't has bad as some on here would make out.

Just going purely off super 14 2009.

TPN has been excellent in the first two games and was fine after the error,
Yep.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
disco said:
I would love to see throw in stats as in how many thrown & how many hit the mark and I bet that TPN isn't has bad as some on here would make out. Just going purely off super 14 2009.
TPN has been excellent in the first two games and was fine after the error,
Yep.

I was thinking the same thing, DJ. The figures I can recall seeing had the Tahs losing only one of their lineouts in the previous two games. This one looked bad because it was TPN's first (and it was right in front of me!) but otherwise, he's thrown very well for the Tahs the last few years.

One thing about lineouts I hate is a hooker taking a lot of time. Cannon did this in SAf a few years ago and was pinged three times by Paddy O'Brien, rightfully so. A hooker taking eternity to throw, as TPN does, indicates nervousness and/or a lack of confidence to me. I'd like to see TPN do a couple of quick lineouts, either a flat hard throw to number 2 or long over the back. One or two successes would do his throwing confidence the world of good.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lindommer said:
One thing about lineouts I don't like is a hooker taking a lot of time. Cannon did this in SAf a few years ago and was pinged three times by Paddy O'Brien, rightfully so. A hooker taking eternity to throw, as TPN does, indicates nervousness and/or a lack of confidence to me.

Cannon took a lot of time because Nathan Sharpe is a bonehead when it comes to lineout calling.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Hopefully with Axel Foley as the NSW forwards coach any throwing problems of TPN will be rectified.

F

formeropenside

naza said:
Lindommer said:
One thing about lineouts I don't like is a hooker taking a lot of time. Cannon did this in SAf a few years ago and was pinged three times by Paddy O'Brien, rightfully so. A hooker taking eternity to throw, as TPN does, indicates nervousness and/or a lack of confidence to me.

Cannon took a lot of time because Nathan Sharpe is a bonehead when it comes to lineout calling.

Fixed your quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.