• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

"Transparency" at the ARU

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think now we are increasingly seeing the hard evidence for what many of us have argued here for some time, namely

The ARU, in its inner workings, is and has been for some considerable time, a highly concerning cultural and operational amalgam of:

- arrogant, elitist thinking and attitudes that inter alia generally detaches it from the rugby grassroots, schools, and clubs​

- secretive and self-defining re what it thinks is reasonable - solely by its own terms - in relation to what core data in its possession is shared with any of the rugby community as a whole​

- leaks very manipulatively (and destructively where it deems in its interests) to selected 'good mates' contacts and media writers whilst isolating such parties who critique it thus knowingly stymying and often controlling open debate within the broader rugby community​

- puerilely defensive with an 'us and them' managerial mindset that eliminates constructive, multi-party consultation and open listening to alternative viewpoints​

- routinely excuse-making and blame-shifting, never taking real ownership, proper accountability or genuine responsibility for any key Australian rugby outcomes (expect where likely to give credit to the ARU) and never transferring genuine accountability to the bodies that financially depend upon it, namely the State RUs​

- inexplicable overstaffing and high cost base for the relatively small number or core rugby tasks it must perform​

- lacking any form of consistent, stable, thoroughly worked strategy to develop the whole, bottom-to-top system of Australian rugby​

- nepotistic, inbred and partisan in relation to recruiting for itself and related parties and thus associating principally with 'good rugby mates' vs rigorous, externally focussed recruitment practices that are objectively 'best talent' driven​

Other than the above, the ARU is an exceptionally well-run organisation.​

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
FFS, next time I rely on something spiro says can the mods delete the post: "For the record. I apologise to Bill Pulver and Rob Clarke for publishing the email in question and I retract any implications arising from that publication."
That imputation was the centre piece of the article - the only reason for that article.
Even our joirnos are out of form and lack the basic skills, like fact checking!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Spiro should name and shame his source.

"When we accept off-the-record briefings, we enter into a contract of confidentiality with the source and we therefore publish in good faith.

But if we find that we have been deliberately lied to, then any obligation of confidence is removed. Sources have to know that the threat of exposure hangs over them." - Jeff Randall

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The fake email article gives you an insight into some of the self serving agendas going on in rugby. It's disgraceful.

When the game is in crisis we've got this crap to deal with as well. I read the article but had not gone back to the site and seen the retraction until now.

I just can't comprehend that someone would deliberately do that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Spiro should name and shame his source.

"When we accept off-the-record briefings, we enter into a contract of confidentiality with the source and we therefore publish in good faith.

But if we find that we have been deliberately lied to, then any obligation of confidence is removed. Sources have to know that the threat of exposure hangs over them." - Jeff Randall

Yep. The bucket has been flung.

Spiro needs to come clean on where it came from.

Or maybe he made it all up himself. Who knows …

I sort of wish I'd read it before it disappeared. But I'm also glad I adhered to my policy for some years of not wasting any neurones on Spiro's "work".

It's hard to make things completely disappear from the interwebs. But I'll spare this thread from the re-spray.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can someone explain the whole saga?

Only reinforces my view that the rot in Australian rugby doesn't start with the top.

A few individuals in a few club comps need to take a long hard look at themselves, and have needed to do so for a long time.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can someone explain the whole saga?

Spiro wrote a long blog about lack of transparency, unhealthy secrecy and intolerance of opposing views at the ARU. Not too spicy when taken alone, but …

Only problem is the article was based around an "email" which was presented as being from Pulver – a claim Spiro has since withdrawn – saying that a list of supporters and enemies had been compiled for the ARU.

So now it's Spiro's turn to come clean on some dirty secrecy.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If I recall the content of the fake email correctly it was essentially Pulver thanking the recipient for their support and they weren't on the suppposed ARUs hate list.

The actual email is the recipient telling Pulver that's he has been doing a good job. Pulver's reply is 'thanks... stay well'.

The fake email isn't just a tweak it's a complete fabrication.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My impression was it had come from someone in the Shute Shield. I can't now justify that impression but its plausible ,except for the you're doing a good job.
Spiro should reveal his source in the interests of we mug punters actually understanding how toxic the whole administration of the game is.
Seems Spiro was deliberately set up with a fake story. To emasculate him?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think they thought Spiro would publish the content of the fake email just allude to its content.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Ok, so Australian rugby is a complete screw up with people with different aims trying to power play their own agendas including Spiro, some of the Shute Shield (who seem to want to go back to having rugby only in Sydney), the Rebels owners who either want to bankrupt the ARU or want something else, the WRU who just want rugby to survive in their state.

All I want is a bloody rugby team to watch live at a high quality with players who I can then watch in Australian colors. Is that too much to ask?

On the positive side, the ARU is probably doing better than FIFA and Cricket Australia at the moment.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I just screenshotted the whole thing.

Honestly, that "email" is laughable.

Even a graduate hire with >3 months experience in any business environment knows that anything that could get you in trouble doesn't go in an email. It's best saved to a phone call or a face-to-face meeting.

Bill Pulver, with all his corporate experience, also knows this.

Thats before we even get to the content itself, the sheer extent of the content or the manner in which it was written.

"I find you to be a man of honour and like me a straight shooter always prepared to put loyalty before the crap that so many undertake"

"I well recall when we first met you saying you can’t keep everybody happy and especially in rugby circles. I have discovered you were correct."

What the actual fuck? Who speaks like this? I'll tell you who - no one.

Whoever wrote this probably should've read it out loud a few times.

The only thing thats certain about the whole thing is that the author tried to make Billy P looks as bad as possible whilst making the person it was "written" to (think: club-land) as good as possible ("you were correct" / "man of honour" / "loyalty before the crap that so many undertake").

This is unbelievably poor from all involved. I hope we find out who gave Spiro the "information".

Status
Not open for further replies.