• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Why would you have both McCalman and Samo on the same bench with no back-up for 7 with a 5:2 split?
We have seen McCalman over the last few tests and know what he can do.
Should have been Hodgo or another back there instead of McC.

Perhaps Beau R. Let's not forget him, we all know he was huge for large tracts of the S15, and against the best of the best in that comp.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
considering a 30 man squad for the world cup im very happy to see the names for this week getting game time.
add our returning injured players and its a squad worthy of the fear that was instilled around the world up untill 5:30pm last satdy

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure dropping Simmons for Timani is the best bet. Means Horwill will have to come off unless he will take over lineout calling which could cause problems.

I'd have preferred a 4/3 split with Samo, Hodgson and Turner.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Squad looks good! Good to see Samo in there hope he gets some game time. Higgers must have been a given..
Can't wait for the game!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like. That. Team.

The starting line up is about the best we can put on the paddock now (with some controversy over Simmons v Sharpe obviously), form and injuries permitting. The bench aint bad either.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I would have picked simmons, baxter and robinson on the bench. But apart from that its looks good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I read that Simmons had a shoulder complaint. Good side though and Touch wood the bench gets good time.

T

tranquility

The side look very good to me, and it gives us an opportunity to see some of the fringe blokes (SAMO!).

If Pocock goes down, Rocky will move to 7 and either McCalman or Samo will come on.

It would also be nice to see Ant get a run in the backline at some stage, but back replacements can be a little tricky, so lets just hope we can get the result.

C

chief

Apparently Simmons has a shoulder injury and is being rested.

Thank god. Deans is currently lacking credibility and I thought he actually picked Timani from form. Fingers crossed that Timani is used only when he needs to be.

Great to see Samo on the bench, hopefully he is actually used. However part of me says Deans won't use him. Just give the bloke a chance. Very strange however picking both McCalman and Samo. Probably would have picked Hodgson instead of McCalman though. I really do wonder what goes through Robbie's head though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nienaber starts with a bang
Sport24
Defence wizard warns Boks
Cape Town - The Springboks' new defence coach Jacques Nienaber has warned the players they could pay a heavy price if they slip up too often on defence.
Nienaber will work with the Springboks as a consultant until after the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.
The Boks have been woeful on defence recently, conceding 11 tries in their last two matches. Last year, they also conceded 22 tries in six Tri-Nations matches.
And Nienaber believes the players should be held responsible if they slip tackles, and has made it clear that he will not tolerate any half-hearted attempts from the players.
He told the Beeld newspaper that from now on the players will be punished if they miss tackles and some could even lose their spots in the starting line-up.
"If you miss one tackle, you make it harder for your team-mates, as it puts extra pressure on them to do your job as well," said Nienaber.
"Everyone in the team must stand together when it comes to defending and therefore the players must have the right attitude. You have to want to do it".

Possible Bok team:
1. Mtawarira
2. Bismarck
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Bakkies
5. Matfield
6. Brussouw
7. Rossouw
8. Spies
9. FDP
10. James
11. Habana
12. JDV
13. Fourie
14. JP Pietersen
15. F Steyn

16. Smit
17. Vd Linde
18. Mostert
19. Deysel
20. Hougaard
21. M Steyn
22. De Jongh

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I like Sharpie back. If we'd had him as a tight ball runner as well as Kev last week that could have made a big difference. Add in his leadership qualities and experience as well.

I like the look of Simmons (especially his willingness to cheat at the breakdown, if a little clumsy) but as many have noted he's got a bit to pick up on ball in hand and knocking men back.

I think this is where Deans wants to explore if Timani can develop - does he have the x-factor abrasiveness that Palu or TPN bring and we sorely need? (even if it ends up knocking out our own players more often...)

I should also say - as a Higgers sceptic - that you can't argue the guy hasn't earned his shot. Looking forward to seeing what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.