• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

That's pretty dumb. Pocock has a history of niggling injuries, would be handy to have real cover on the bench not in the form of Hodgson.

IMO Pocock fantastic but I question his muscled up body shape - obviously has done heaps and heaps of weights to chisel the bod. Bloke could probably compete in Mr Olympia comp. - Does that contribute to the injury factor - any opinions

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It really doesnt matter who is selected to a large degree if they dont have a solid structure and game plan. The headless chook rubbish of playing what is in front of you will fail against this Bok side which I expect to be defensively the strongest team the Wallabies have played this year.

Glad to see a couple of form players belatedly making the team, though I feel as others do McCalman has no place on that bench.

Ma'afu. :'(

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think Dean's has taken a step forward with the selection of this team.

Higgers for McCalman was a natural move (and one in the right direction). It gives us another ball running forward.

Sharpie for Simmons is also a good move.

Overall, pretty happy - but not jumping-out-of-my skin excited.

Simmons had a shoulder problems

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Strange bench selections I can't see all of Timani, McCalman & Samo getting on. 1 of them will be purely there to warm the bench & act as desperate injury cover.

Deans does it again.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Three blokes that have played a fair bit of lock are on the bench. I wonder if this is a first?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
At least Deans is showing he can pick a team on a horses for courses policy (even if it is a bit stupid). The boks as opponents seems to bring bigger players with a lower workrate and less breakdown focus. The ABs a higher workrate with more breakdown focus.

Pity we haven't got any Kainos, Reads or Burgers that can do both.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
At least Deans is showing he can pick a team on a horses for courses policy (even if it is a bit stupid). The boks as opponents seems to bring bigger players with a lower workrate and less breakdown focus. The ABs a higher workrate with more breakdown focus.

Pity we haven't got any Kainos, Reads or Burgers that can do both.

And yet the ABs didnt play the breakdown last week. I am happy that Samo and Higgers are there but I doubt the overall balance even with a 5:2 it could be much better from the available squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO Pocock fantastic but I question his muscled up body shape - obviously has done heaps and heaps of weights to chisel the bod. Bloke could probably compete in Mr Olympia comp. - Does that contribute to the injury factor - any opinions

Not sure where you've come up with that. His most recent injury was a foot, it was a knee before that and a thumb the previous year. He hasn't had any pectoral/shoulder/bicep injuries yet.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Defence wizard warns Boks
Cape Town - The Springboks' new defence coach Jacques Nienaber has warned the players they could pay a heavy price if they slip up too often on defence.
Nienaber will work with the Springboks as a consultant until after the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.
The Boks have been woeful on defence recently, conceding 11 tries in their last two matches. Last year, they also conceded 22 tries in six Tri-Nations matches.
And Nienaber believes the players should be held responsible if they slip tackles, and has made it clear that he will not tolerate any half-hearted attempts from the players.
He told the Beeld newspaper that from now on the players will be punished if they miss tackles and some could even lose their spots in the starting line-up.
"If you miss one tackle, you make it harder for your team-mates, as it puts extra pressure on them to do your job as well," said Nienaber.
"Everyone in the team must stand together when it comes to defending and therefore the players must have the right attitude. You have to want to do it".

Quade's career would be finished overnight.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springbok Team:
F Steyn, JP, Fourie, De Villiers, Habana, James, Du Preez; Spies, Rossouw, Brussow, Matfield, Botha, J duP, Smit c, Beast.

Reserves: B duP, Steenkamp, Mostert, Deysel, Hougaard, M Steyn, Aplon

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Springbok Team:
F Steyn, JP, Fourie, De Villiers, Habana, James, Du Preez; Spies, Rossouw, Brussow, Matfield, Botha, J duP, Smit c, Beast.

Reserves: B duP, Steenkamp, Mostert, Deysel, Hougaard, M Steyn, Aplon

South Africa: 15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Butch James, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Danie Rossouw, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 John Smit (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Gerhard Mostert, 19 Jean Deysel, 20 Francois Hougaard, 21 Morné Steyn, 22 Gio Aplon.

A total of 810 test caps which exceed the previous best of 750, also against the Aussies.

God, I can see another beating from the Aussies.

Status
Not open for further replies.