• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial Match #2 - Reds vs Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Blue said:
Queensland may yet see a winning team some time soon O0

That's a low blow mate... ::) But us long suffering Reds supporters are used to them. Almost like the Sheffield Shield when I was at school..Qld couldn't buy a win in that competion and we figured it would never turn around

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Whilst the Crusaders looked a little flat, happy to take a trials win over them. Have been hearing a lot of talk about "it's only a trial" but will gladly take 2-0 0ver 0-2 anyday.

Plenty of improvement required but lot's to like about the early season fitness and commitment of the Reds.

As for the players.... Daley definitely looks the goods and Hynes was outstanding in his half of football at the back. Both Ant Fainga'a and Ben Tapuai were eyecatching at 12, Morahan is a promising winger and Braid is all class.

I'm a big Ben Lucas fan but Walsh has a maturity at 10 that I think will be a plus for the Reds. In Ben's favour, he can cover most backline spots off the bench.

Higgers put his hand up tonight as well, as did Ezra Taylor.

Happy early days for the Reds.... a long way to go, but quite a bit to work with. I particularly like the way that the replacements have been able to protect the good work of the frontline players in the second half.

I doff my hat to Link and his coaching team for what they have done to date.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Çongrats you guys sounded like it was a great hit out.

Daley leads QR Reds to trial win over Crusaders
QR Reds captain Ben Daley scored twice in the opening half
Friday, 29 January 2010

QR Reds captain and loosehead prop Ben Daley scored two tries in the opening half to set up a 20-12 trial win over the Canterbury Crusaders at Ballymore tonight.

Daley capitalised on some strong forward play and some enterprising attack by new fullback Peter Hynes to give the Reds a commanding 17-5 lead at the break in front of a delighted crowd of 5,827.

The 21-year-old law student took his first opportunity when an attacking raid by Hynes and wing Luke Morahan ended just metres from the line, with some strong pick and go work from the forwards ending with Daley crossing the line.

His second came at the end of one of many strong rolling mauls – the Reds almost scored minutes earlier from the same play but an errant last pass from Daniel Braid went into touch.

Daley also played an instrumental role in a dominant Queensland scrum that drew multiple penalties and caused constant pressure.

“I can’t remember the last time I scored two tries. It was quite an experience out there to be on the receiving end of the pats on the back after a try,” Daley said.

“I’m usually the one running in to congratulate blokes, so it was a good feeling.”

Hynes was exceptional in the half he played, making a key contribution with the ball in hand and with the boot with every touch of the ball.

Early in the match the 22 Test Wallaby showed he wasn’t overawed by his potential switch to fullback for this year’s Investec Bank Super 14 competition when he passed his first test with flying colours, recovering a deft grubber kick with centre Ryan Crotty applying a mountain of pressure. It was Crotty who came off worst from the collision, having to be helped from the field after apparently being knocked cold.

“I thought he (Hynes) showed some very bright moments for his first up run,” head coach Ewen McKenzie said.

“He was solid, powerful, took kicks pretty well, and handled the territory side of it pretty well. That was a good thing to come out of the game.”

Playing in his first game of professional rugby Will Chambers received limited opportunities in his 60 minutes on the paddock, while centre partner Anthony Fainga'a backed up last Saturday’s impressive display with another dominant defensive performance.

McKenzie said the experience Chambers gained from the match would help in his transition from rugby league club the Melbourne Storm.

“He had some powerful moments out there but he would be the first to put his hand up and say the instinctive part of the game isn’t there yet. (But) we put him out there and he soldiered away," he said.

McKenzie said he was pleased at having won two successive trials but said the team still had plenty to do before their season opening clash with the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium on February 13.

“We’re not good enough to be getting ahead of ourselves in terms of what we’re about. There were bits and pieces where we didn’t communicate well, run the right lines, and where we covered the wrong spaces.

“But that’s what you want to learn in trials. The good thing was that in the contact exchanges we were physical, we got stuck in and forced errors.

“We had our moments at scrum time, we were good at lineouts, and we did some good mauling."

Daley said the team could take many positives from the clash as they prepare to head to Perth to face the Western Force in their final trial.

“It was a very physical game, the Crusaders are a great side. They had some quality players out there across the park and it was a good test for us,” he said.

“There were some good points, but obviously it is a trial game and there’s things that we need to look at the visual and go back and work on to get ready for next week.”

Flyhalf Ben Lucas added seven points and Tim Walsh three in a perfect night for both with the boot, while the Crusaders crossed the line through number eight Thomas Waldrom and centre Robert Fruean.

QR Reds 20 (Ben Daley 2 tries, Ben Lucas 2 cons, Ben Lucas, Tim Walsh pens) def Crusaders 12 (Thomas Waldrom, Robert Fruean tries, Colin Slade con)

Crowd: 5,827

C

chief

Fantastic, although it is only a trial with Crusaders playing a few players down. I must take my hate off to Link for what he has done. All signs are pointing to promising.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds were a few players down as well. Quade, Diggers and Big Kev with Holmes from the bench.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I should have added in my earlier report, that Genia brought some spark with him when he ran on. Gee he's a good scrummie.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
TOCC said:
Interesting to see a few issues in that link that is not in the aussie reports-
About Chambers performance-His second five eighth Anthony Fainga'a was often guilty of throwing hospital passes to his midfield partner

Hynes-The stand out player for Queensland was Wallaby three quarter Peter Hynes. Playing at fullback, he was brilliant at the back, and also made a monstrous hit on Crusaders centre Ryan Crotty, who was knocked out cold

I guess chambers must have been bad in defence from other reports, but if he is getting bad ball he cant really attack.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
liquor box said:
TOCC said:
Interesting to see a few issues in that link that is not in the aussie reports-
About Chambers performance-His second five eighth Anthony Fainga'a was often guilty of throwing hospital passes to his midfield partner

Hynes-The stand out player for Queensland was Wallaby three quarter Peter Hynes. Playing at fullback, he was brilliant at the back, and also made a monstrous hit on Crusaders centre Ryan Crotty, who was knocked out cold

I guess chambers must have been bad in defence from other reports, but if he is getting bad ball he cant really attack.
I think the report was a little harsh on Fainga'a. I didn't see too many hospital passes, in fact he trucked it up a few times to avoid throwing them. Probably more to do with the speed at which the ball was being delivered to him.

As for Chambers, he has a huge learning curve to negotiate and the 13 channel is a pretty hard assignment first up. I hope he has a full game on Friday night with Qld B, rather than play off the bench in WA. He needs more games. Nothing wrong with his defensive ability, just his positioning.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
13 is always a hard ask for a league back to perform especially when the other team has the pill. I know he's played union before but he's going to have the same problems at 13 as Tahu had when he eventually got to play there.

As the Tahs treated Tahu, Chambers should start his pro rugby career on the wing. It's like the classroom for league outside backs.

Another couple of reports here:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-union/reds/reds-storm-boy-all-at-sea-in-debut-20100130-n4cw.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,26652705-5003411,00.html

I'm not surprised about the good revues for Hynes at fullback as I remember him playing there for the Reds in the RSA a few years back and he ran through the opponents a couple of times.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that. Was a good run by Hynes. Maul try by Reds was excellent for an Oz team - the Crusaders had no clue.

T

TOCC

tranquility said:
morahan looks the real deal. a genuine winger.

his definetly got a brillian natural talent.... .

and his younger brother seems even more talented, i wouldnt be surprised in 2 or 3 years if we have two Morahans in the backline

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Queensland schools have had so many good back three players in the last few years that I fear you will be exporting them. One is still at school in 2010. Take care that you keep the best.

G

Geeves

Lee Grant said:
Queensland schools have had so many good back three players in the last few years that I fear you will be exporting them. One is still at school in 2010. Take care that you keep the best.

Why start a new trend? :nta: QLD has bled too many players since the disastrous coaching merry-go-round started.

With what 11 odd players off contract at the end of the year hopefully link can actually pick and choose the players he wants. But in order to do that he has to develop a culture that wants to stay. With the Rebels able to sign non contracted players already the rush has to be on to work out next years squad to prevent them and the rest of the other states collecting the cream of the crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.