• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial match: Brumbies v Highlanders - Queenstown Fri 31/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies are playing the Highlanders in Queenstown this Friday afternoon (4pm AEDT)

Brumbies squad to play with Pocock acting captain for this match.

Allan Ala'alatoa , Fotu Auelua, Jarrad Butler, Sam Carter, Robbie Coleman, Lionel Cronje, Michael Dowsett, Matt Hawke, Conrad Hoffman, Rod Iona, Josh MannRea , Pat McCabe, Lachlan McCaffery, David Pocock, Leon Power, Clyde Rathbone, Siliva Siliva, Scott Sio, Andrew Smith, JP Smith, Michael Smith, Ruan Smith, Henry Speight, Tom Staniforth, Haru Tetakawa, Jack Whetton, Stephan Van der Walt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this accurate?

Fullback: Robbie Coleman
Wing: Clyde Rathbone & Henry Speight
Centre: Pat McCabe, Andrew Smith, Stephan Van der Walt & Matt Hawke
Flyhalf: Lionel Cronje & Rod Iona
Scrumhalf: Michael Dowsett & Conrad Hoffman
Backrow: Fotu Auelua, Jarrad Butler, Lachlan McCaffery, David Pocock & Michael Smith
Lock: Sam Carter, Leon Power, Tom Staniforth & Jack Whetton
Prop: Allan Ala'alatoa, Scott Sio, JP Smith & Ruan Smith

Hooker: Josh MannRea & Siliva Siliva

Where does Haru Tetakawa play?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Highlanders team

Highlanders: Trent Renata, Patrick Osborne, Wintson Stanley, Shaun Treeby, Richard Buckman, Hayden Parker, Frae Wilson, Elliot Dixon, Lee Allan, Gareth Evans, Tom Franklin, Jarrad Hoeata, Ma'afu Fia, Liam Coltman (captain), Craig Millar.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just posted this in the Brumbies thread, but this is a better place.

University of Canberra Brumbies Squad to take on the Highlanders on Friday at Queenstown (alphabetical order) :
Allan Ala'alatoa , Fotu Auelua, Jarrad Butler, Sam Carter, Robbie Coleman, Lionel Cronje, Michael Dowsett, Matt Hawke, Conrad Hoffman, Rod Iona, Josh MannRea , Pat McCabe, Lachlan McCaffery, David Pocock, Leon Power, Clyde Rathbone, Siliva Siliva, Scott Sio, Andrew Smith, JP Smith, Michael Smith, Ruan Smith, Henry Speight, Tom Stainiforth, Haru Tetakawa, Jack Whetton, Stephan Van der Walt.

Looks like all the Wallabies have been given the game off. Not sure that's a good thing. I'd have taken Matt To'omua for half a game to partner Pat McCabe at 10/12 to help establish a combination that might be in place for
the first few Super rounds until Christian returns. I think I'd also have taken Ben Alexander to gauge how he is going at Super level as distinct from Test level. He is extremely durable, and I don't think it would interfere with his season later on.

Who will be Robbie's backup at 15? And Andrew Smith's backup at 13 or McCabe's backup at 12? Seems like we might be a bit thin on the ground for reserve centres and full back with Christian and Moggy out injured and Kuridrani rested.I imaging Cronje, Hawke and Iona will fill in if there are any injuries in these spots. Rathbone has history in the centres and I believe Stephan can also play 13 but I've only ever seen him on the wing.

What position does Michael Smith play?

Where's Jordan Smiler?

Good to see Hawke and Iona get a go after playing so well for the Brumbies 7s. And really looking forward to seeing how good Jack Whetton turns out to be. He certainly has the pedigree.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Highlanders team

Highlanders: Trent Renata, Patrick Osborne, Wintson Stanley, Shaun Treeby, Richard Buckman, Hayden Parker, Frae Wilson, Elliot Dixon, Lee Allan, Gareth Evans, Tom Franklin, Jarrad Hoeata, Ma'afu Fia, Liam Coltman (captain), Craig Millar.

Osborne is a good pick up for the Highlanders.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who in this backline is likely to miss out on a start or bench spot when the season gets underway?

Wilson, whilst a perfectly good player, is behind Smith and Tanaka (both in probably the best 5 halfbacks in the world).

Parker is behind Sopoanga on ITM form, though I'd except this as a contentious point.

Buckman is a utility back who is well behind Popoalii and would get gassed on any Super Rugby wing.

Stanley is behind Smith (and arguably behind Emery) and is the kind of player who would be unlikely to be on the bench if not picked for the XV.

As for Renata, it would seem he is their best fullback which is worrying because whilst he's a good ITM Cup player and a great utility for any squad to have he hasn't displayed the kind of form that demands a Super rugby XV call-up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Will this be on TV at all or streamed ? wouldn't mind catching the game.. or is it not filmed

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
The 'Landers twitter account not running any live scoring, but will allegedly provide a post match report.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
dc6bb44bbb217f5043e3a0ed0f98baf7_normal.jpeg
UC Brumbies @BrumbiesRugby
Highlanders have nailed a penalty straight after the break they lead by 1, 9-8. #HIGvBRU

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just saw the twitter pics - I thought they'd be playing over on the ground near the airport but I guess there's a wicket on that.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies go down to the Highlanders 15-11.

Sam Carter with a meat pie and Lionel (Messi) Cronje with 2 penalty goals.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Match reports from Nz have Brad Thorn playing full 80 mins along with several others in Highlanders. Little report on Brumbies performance other than scoring details but indicates we changed lineup at half time. Do we know what the second half lineup looked like for Brumbies. Interesting to note Lachie McCaffery reported as captaining the second half on Brumbies website.

Status
Not open for further replies.