• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Rebels vs Hurricanes - Saturday 8 February 2015 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Match two in our pre-season buildup in down at Geelong. From what I can see it's going to be another scorcher (40 deg predicted) so better make sure we've consumed plenty of fluids before the match.

I haven't heard of any injuries from the 'tahs match so I assume we have a full list to pick from? Any particular combination(s) we would like to see?

Since I've never watched anything at Simmonds Stadium I have no idea what public transport options we've got. Perhaps someone who has journeyed down that way can share? How did you find purchasing at the ground?

The most important thing - where is the favored pre-game pub to drink at?

Details from the Rebels Website.

GAME TWO, RABODIRECT REBELS v HURRICANES
Where: Simonds Stadium, Geelong, VIC
When: Saturday February 8th, 2014. Gates open 1pm, for a 7:30pm kick-off.
Member Offer: All registered Rebels will receive 20% off pre purchased tickets for this match. To obtain the code required to activate this discount, please call 1300 GO REBELS (1300 46 732357) or memberships@melbournerebels.com.au with your MyRugby ID.
About Geelong: For information about Geelong, including travel times, attractions and accommodation, click here
Buy Tickets (prices below): To purchase your tickets for this trial game, click here
Kids: To register for the Geelong Junior Rugby Clinic from 5:00pm on Simonds Stadium, click here
Corporate Hospitality: Packages are available for this match. For more information please contact Adrian Lloyd on 0412 352 241 or adrian.lloyd@melbournerebels.com.au

Gate Ticket Prices

Adult

Concession

Children

Family

RRP

$25

$18.50

$13

$60

Rebels Member Rate (20% discount)

$16

$9.60

$10.40

$48

- To access the Member discount, Rebels Members must show their Member cards at the gate
- Family tickets may comprise of either two adults and two children, or one adult and three children

D

daz

Public transport is fine. You can train from Melbourne and bus to the ground.

Purchasing tickets/food/beer at the ground isn't an issue as it is an AFL ground and very well set up. It won't be a sell out so you can purchase at the gate, but best to purchase online just to be safe.

The Lord Nelson on Malop St is a very good pub, as is the Sporting Globe on Ryrie St.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shame that the Rebels season members aren't offered free entry as Tahs members do for the upcoming match against Blues this weekend.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Match two in our pre-season buildup in down at Geelong. From what I can see it's going to be another scorcher (40 deg predicted) so better make sure we've consumed plenty of fluids before the match.

I haven't heard of any injuries from the 'tahs match so I assume we have a full list to pick from? Any particular combination(s) we would like to see?

Since I've never watched anything at Simmonds Stadium I have no idea what public transport options we've got. Perhaps someone who has journeyed down that way can share? How did you find purchasing at the ground?

The most important thing - where is the favored pre-game pub to drink at?

Catching the 3pm down, meeting at 2pm (PUB) at Southern Cross and properly going to just get off the train and walk to the pub. Both pubs and stadium are not far from the train station.

Pre-purchase your ticket, Stadium is always slow at ticket sales.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Prepurchase tickets boys. They have no clue how to run a ticket box at the ground on account of the fact the AFL side the Cats fill the stadium with members every game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
canes squad

Hurricanes select six All Blacks for Rebels
February 6, 2014
30101.3.jpg

Beauden Barrett will play from the replacements bench © Getty Images
Enlarge​

The Hurricanes have named six All Blacks in their squad to face Melbourne Rebels in the Super Rugby pre-season trial in Geelong on Saturday.
Prop Ben Franks and hooker Dane Coles have been named in the starting line-up alongside uncapped All Blacks squad member TJ Perenara, while Beauden Barrett, Julian Savea, Cory Jane and Jeffery Toomaga-Allen will all get game time off the bench.
The Hurricanes won their first pre-season match against the Blues 38-35 in Masterton on Saturday.
Squad: Andre Taylor; Nehe Milner-Skudder, Tim Bateman, Hadleigh Parkes, Matt Proctor; Marty Banks, TJ Perenara; Victor Vito, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields; Mark Reddish, James Broadhurst, John Schwalger; Dane Coles, Ben Franks. Replacements: Ash Dixon, Chris Eves, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Brendon Edmonds, Jeremy Thrush, Mark Abbott, Jack Lam, Blade Thomson, Billy Guyton, Chris Smylie, Beauden Barrett, Cardiff Vaega, Julian Savea, Cory Jane.

Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/213581.html#XA4yWG2Wms03PGmY.99

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels team up, most interestingly Ellison in at 13 during the second half and still no Shota. Looks like Steve Faulau might get that EPS spot.

1st Half: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Luke Burgess; Lopeti Timani, Sean McMahon, Jordy Reid, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks, Pat Leafa, Max Lahiff
2nd Half: Alex Rokobaro, Lachlan Mitchell, Tamati Ellison, Lalakai Foketi, Joe Kamana, Ben Meehan, Scott Higginbotham, Scott Fuglistaller, Colby Fainga'a, Sam Jeffries, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Steve Faulau, Toby Smith

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
interesting team
looks like the weaker pack with the better backline in the first half and the reverse in the second. (with some obvious exceptions of course)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Interested to see that 'gus roberts isn't getting a run this weekend. Will be interested to see what sam jeffries can do at lock and what Tamati can do at 13. That 2nd half back row looks like a ripper.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
A little peeved I can't make it down the highway for this one. Will any of you lads be posting a post match write up or any live updates?

If so many thanks in advance.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels team up, most interestingly Ellison in at 13 during the second half and still no Shota. Looks like Steve Faulau might get that EPS spot.
Shota is playing the the Japan Top League final this weekend.

Interested to see that 'gus roberts isn't getting a run this weekend. Will be interested to see what sam jeffries can do at lock and what Tamati can do at 13. That 2nd half back row looks like a ripper.

Gus is named at 10 for the 2nd 'arf.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Shota is playing the the Japan Top League final this weekend.

Gus is named at 10 for the 2nd 'arf.

2nd Half: Alex Rokobaro, Lachlan Mitchell, Tamati Ellison, Lalakai Foketi, Joe Kamana, Ben Meehan, Scott Higginbotham, Scott Fuglistaller, Colby Fainga'a, Sam Jeffries, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Steve Faulau, Toby Smith

Really? If I read DVH's post I don't see him there...

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
OK, got my collective arse into gear and got a ticket. Guessing you all contacted Sandra from the membership team and got the code? My regular drinking rugby buddies are out, so it's just me and the GAGR's.

Catching the 3pm down, meeting at 2pm (PUB) at Southern Cross and properly going to just get off the train and walk to the pub. Both pubs and stadium are not far from the train station.

I'll see you there before three. Better shout you that Run I owe you :)

The Lord Nelson on Malop St is a very good pub, as is the Sporting Globe on Ryrie St.

I reckon the sporting globe is looking like a good option, mainly because it's more on the way to Cat park and I couldn't be arsed walking further in the heat on Saturday. Menu looks good too and...it has beer. More the merrier I say, so if you're reading this, come along. It's located here:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=...72&ei=C1jzUryqBILtkAX9nYCQBw&ved=0CLsBEPwSMA0

Looking like it will be a good match with a good team balance. I know it's only a trial, but still looking forward to my first match of the year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
[quote="oztimmay, post: 567445, member: 12535"

Looking like it will be a good match with a good team balance. I know it's only a trial, but still looking forward to my first match of the year.[/quote]

Meeting at mail exchange at 3 pm. Catching the 4 pm is the final plan.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Really? If I read DVH's post I don't see him there.

Must have been a mistake in the post DVH quoted, there are only 14 names in the second half team.

Here's the team from the Rebels' website...

1st Half: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Luke Burgess; Lopeti Timani, Sean McMahon, Jordy Reid, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks, Pat Leafa, Max Lahiff
2nd Half: Alex Rokobaro, Lachlan Mitchell, Tamati Ellison, Lalakai Foketi, Joe Kamana, Angus Roberts, Ben Meehan, Scott Higginbotham, Scott Fuglistaller, Colby Fainga'a, Sam Jeffries, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Steve Faulau, Toby Smith

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
[quote="oztimmay, post: 567445, member: 12535"

Looking like it will be a good match with a good team balance. I know it's only a trial, but still looking forward to my first match of the year.

Meeting at mail exchange at 3 pm. Catching the 4 pm is the final plan.[/quote]

Works for me :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Must have been a mistake in the post DVH quoted, there are only 14 names in the second half team.

Here's the team from the Rebels' website.

Hmm, strange. Thought it was odd he was left out considering he's being groomed as a 5/8 option.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Did Inman lose some weight in the offseason? He looked noticeably quicker than he used to be in the bit of highlights he was in from the last trial game.

Status
Not open for further replies.