• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Waratahs v Highlanders, Hunter Stadium, Newcastle, 14 Feb, Fri, 7:30 PM (EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Highlanders have lost a lot of good players since last year including: Ma'a Nonu, Tamati Ellison, Colin Slade, Hosea Gear, Tony Woodcock and Andrew Hore—but they haven't made any gains that I would call notable.

I think they will struggle more this year than last; yet they won only three games in 2013 and were second-last in the competition, ending up ahead of only the Kings, who are not playing this year.

Therefore I would rest Waratahs such as Robinson, Douglas, Palu, Phipps, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau and Hooper, all for different reasons, but I would let the Foley v Beale contest for the 10 jersey prevail.

Some of these fellows like Hooper, Folau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will get to their top game with ease without another match; so it's best to try out others for the season matchday 23 and protect those three from harm.

I'd add Douglas to that quick starters' list also now. He has been destructive at training and in the Blues' trial, and should be held back.

I think he will have a season to remember if he stays healthy—and with Chapman out now he will have a heavy load.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rob Horne needs plenty of time at 12 in this game. He has spent most or all of his time at 13 in the two trials so far.

If Michael Hodge is healthy, he needs a run at 13 or otherwise they should give Matt Carraro a go there.

Peterson needs a good run in the this game. With Chapman out, he's far more likely to be needed this year and we need to give him as much of an opportunity as possible when it doesn't really count so he is better prepared for the real thing. Personally I don't really think he's up to it yet but circumstances may dictate that we need him.

Whilst I think Beale at 12 is a potential option off the bench later in games, I don't think it is a good first up combination. It weakens our defence considerably when you look at Rob Horne's defence being superb and Jonno Lance's being pretty strong.

Our problem last year revolved more around conceding points than scoring them. Defence needs to be a focus rather than trying to make our backline even more attacking.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't think Lance is nearly as strong as Horne defensively,and clearly not in the same League as KB (Kurtley Beale) with the ball in hand.
Sure put him on the bench for cover,but that's it.
Peterson needs to earn his stripes in a different environment.He has demonstrated repeatedly,he is not up to standard at this level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Lance is nearly as strong as Horne defensively,and clearly not in the same League as KB (Kurtley Beale) with the ball in hand.
Peterson needs to earn his stripes in a different environment.He has demonstrated repeatedly,he is not up to standard at this level.

I agree with all of this.

I'd be looking at a backline for week 1 of:

Phipps, Foley, Betham, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Alofa/Carraro, Folau

Res: McKibbin, Lance, Beale.

Crawford would waltz back into the other wing position when fit.

Peterson needs to have a strong run in this trial because the situation might require him to play a fair bit for the Tahs this season. In an ideal world he won't be needed because I agree he isn't up to it right now, but with Chapman gone, he might have to play at times this year. For good or for bad (mostly bad), he has been contracted to the Tahs for several years now and we have to deal with it. It's no good saying that he needs to earn his stripes at a lower level when there's a good chance we'll need to select him at Super Rugby level regardless.

T

tranquility

I think Dom Shipperley would disagree with your assessment of Horne on Defense.

Jono is an excellent defender, and can put on massive tackles.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Then you didn't see the left winger? Make him look like road kill last week.
Just the fact the Reds let him go,suggests he is not top line.
I think he will be reasonable cover for the better players this year.
But that's it.

T

tranquility

Not true at all.

Jono was not let go. Jono is a NSWelshman, and wanted to play center. He couldn't do that in QLD due to the logjam of centers, and was mainky getting opportunities at 15 if at all.

Is a very good defender, who is also a good distributor and punter of the ball.
Would not be surprised if he started at 12 in round 1.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Highlanders have lost a lot of good players since last year including: Ma'a Nonu, Tamati Ellison, Colin Slade, Hosea Gear, Tony Woodcock and Andrew Hore—but they haven't made any gains that I would call notable.

I'd be inclined to say that a couple of those guys, Nonu and Hore, might have been the reason the Highlanders did so badly last year. The Hurricanes were pretty shitty in 2011 so the coach dumps the pair of them. Nonu goes to the Blues who finish 12th down from 4th the year before. Meanwhile the Hurricanes go from being 15 points out of the finals to just 2. Nonu then moves onto the Highlanders, who go from 9th in 2012 with no Nonu to 14th in 2013. Sure he plays great for the All Blacks, but at Super Rugby level he has been average for a while. I think the Highlanders will be a lot better than last year and will surprise a few teams that don't show them enough respect. Especially at home when it is wet.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd be inclined to say that a couple of those guys, Nonu and Hore, might have been the reason the Highlanders did so badly last year. The Hurricanes were pretty shitty in 2011 so the coach dumps the pair of them. Nonu goes to the Blues who finish 12th down from 4th the year before. Meanwhile the Hurricanes go from being 15 points out of the finals to just 2. Nonu then moves onto the Highlanders, who go from 9th in 2012 with no Nonu to 14th in 2013. Sure he plays great for the All Blacks, but at Super Rugby level he has been average for a while. I think the Highlanders will be a lot better than last year and will surprise a few teams that don't show them enough respect. Especially at home when it is wet.

Remember that Forsyth-Barr has a roof over it. The wet doesn't seem to count anymore. Not the same as the old House of Pain.

But I do think the Highlanders will have a better year than last, mainly for the reasons you have highlighted above. And the Brumbies reported a lot of resolve in the Highlanders after their trial match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hard to pin the Highlanders poor 2013 season on the arrival of Nonu.

Adam Thomson leaving had a far greater impact in my opinion. He had been their best player and was dominant at Super Rugby level. They really struggled to fill that space.

Combine with that the fact that their All Black halfback Aaron Smith had a terrible Super Rugby season and things weren't looking particularly good for the Clan.

Nonu didn't help matters, but I don't think he caused the slide.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Both Horne and Lance are reputable as good defenders.

I think the Clan will be stronger without those big names. Ellison and McIntosh are big losses but the others never really did shit to advance the clan. A smart man once said "rugby is not played on paper".

Tahs will win this one though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lance can be a strong defender, but I have seem him miss a surprising number of basic one on one tackles. Often in critical circumstances. Now previously I would never bring this up, but this year I don't feel so inclined to have to cover for him.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Lance can be a strong defender, but I have seem him miss a surprising number of basic one on one tackles. Often in critical circumstances. Now previously I would never bring this up, but this year I don't feel so inclined to have to cover for him.

Yeah, I was gonna say I have some memories of him being a very average defender at points during last year's Super Rugby season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
4. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (captain, Sydney University)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Matt Lucas (Manly)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)

Replacements:
16. Tola Latu (Sydney University)
17. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
18. Jacques Potgieter (TBC)
19. Stephen Hoiles (Randwick)
20. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
21 Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
23. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
24. Jono Lance (Easter Suburbs)
25. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
26. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs)

Additional replacements from: David Horwitz, Hugh Roach, Jed Holloway, Jeremy Tilse, Tim Metcher and Greg Peterson.

First games of rugby in six months for Crawford and Holloway.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I rekkon thats close to what we'll be seeing in round 2, with the exception of scrumhalf

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I rekkon thats close to what we'll be seeing in round 2, with the exception of scrumhalf

At a pinch that might be right for round two if Cheika wants to trial something before the Reds in round three or give someone more time to get match fit, but I would think the following is the likely team for the Reds game:
  1. Robinson
  2. TPN
  3. Kepu
  4. Potgeiter
  5. Douglas
  6. Dennis
  7. Hooper
  8. Palu
  9. Phipps
  10. Foley
  11. Crawford
  12. Beale
  13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  14. Betham
  15. Folau
Bench: Latu, Tilse, Ryan, Skelton, Hoiles, McKibben, Horne, Volavola

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm surprised to see so many front line players starting. Surely the bench will see the majority of playing time in most positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.