• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial: Western Force v Pampas XV and Samoa A at ‘The Force Field’ (nib Stadium)14 Feb, Fri

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
MCMENIMAN SET TO RETURN AS FORCE TACKLES PAMPAS XV & SAMOA A

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Western Force forward Hugh McMeniman is set to return from a shoulder injury this Friday (14 February) in the club’s final Super Rugby trials against the Pampas XV and Samoa A at ‘The Force Field’ (nib Stadium).

McMeniman, who underwent shoulder surgery during 2013, is set to start at lock during the Force A match against Samoa A, with the Western Force to tackle Argentina’s Pampas XV in the main game.

The Western Force starting XV is set to feature five of the squad’s new recruits, including home-grown Perth products Ollie Hoskins and Zack Holmes, former Emerging Springbok lock Wilhelm Steenkamp, former Western Province outside back Marcel Brache and ex-Queensland Reds and Wallabies flyer Luke Morahan, who scored a double in last week’s trial win over Samoa A.

Matt Hodgson will captain the side that also features Wallabies No.8 Ben McCalman and winger Nick Cummins.

The Force will be looking to build upon last week’s 69-3 win over Samoa A as they take to the newly resurfaced nib Stadium for the first time in 2014.

The Pampas XV will use the match as part of their preparations for the 2014 Pacific Nations Cup, with their 30-man squad including 18 players with international Test experience.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says both the Pampas XV and Samoa A will provide strong competition for the club ahead of its opening match of the Super Rugby season against the NSW Waratahs in Sydney on Sunday, 23 February.

“Last week was a good start and it’s important that we step it up again this week,” he said. “We’re most pleased with the discipline we displayed under challenging circumstances. There were noticeable improvements in our contact and game understanding, and it’s important we continue to focus on the detail required to ensure we’re making the most of the opportunities we create.

“While our attitude in defence was very good, we appreciate that the Pampas XV and Samoa A, with a game under their belt, will pose a far greater challenge this week.”

Tickets to Friday’s match are available through Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com.au) with tickets (subject to availability) also available at the venue on match day.

2014 Super Rugby – Pre-Season
Western Force v Pampas XV
The Force Field (nib Stadium), Perth
Friday, 14 February 2014
Kick-off: 7.30pm

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Nathan Charles
3. Kieran Longbottom/Ollie Hoskins
4. Sam Wykes
5. Wilhelm Steenkamp
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Matt Hodgson (c)
8. Ben McCalman
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Zack Holmes
11. Nick Cummins
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Junior Rasolea
14. Marcel Brache
15. Luke Morahan

Western Force v Samoa A
The Force Field (nib Stadium), Perth
Friday, 14 February 2014
Kick-off: 5pm

1. Pek Cowan
2. Heath Tessmann (c)
3. Salesi Manu
4. Hugh McMeniman
5. Phoenix Battye
6. Rory Walton
7. Chris Alcock
8. Brynard Stander
9. Ian Prior
10. Sias Ebersohn
11. Ed Stubbs
12. Luke Burton
13. Chris Tuatara-Morrison
14. Patrick Dellit
15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves:
16. Robbie Abel
17. Francois van Wyk
18. Chris Heiberg
19. Bruce Smith-Wright
20. Corey Thomas
21. Richard Hardwick
22. Kane Koteka
23. Ryan Louwrens
24. Dillyn Leyds
25. Brad Lacey
26. Dylan Sage
27. Dane Haylett-Petty

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good news re MMM.

I really like that centre pairing for the Force. We have seen Godwin's talent but I think Junior R is a quality player as well.

The Force do have some good depth in the front row too if you consider that 'A TEAM' front row.

I maintain, the Force are dark horses for me. They won't challenge, but I don't expect them to be wooden spooners. For comp nor conference.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
good news re MMM.

I really like that centre pairing for the Force. We have seen Godwin's talent but I think Junior R is a quality player as well.

The Force do have some good depth in the front row too if you consider that 'A TEAM' front row.

I maintain, the Force are dark horses for me. They won't challenge, but I don't expect them to be wooden spooners. For comp nor conference.

How do you expect it going down then?

This year looks the most competitive in the Aus conference, there's no doubt, but I can't see the Force getting off the bottom of the pool.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can't seem to get the reply button to work...

This year looks the most competitive in the Aus conference, there's no doubt, but I can't see the Force getting off the bottom of the pool.

Hah! I'd say the same about the Rebels. We have gifted you far too many points in the last two seasons. 42% of the Rebels victories have been against the Force, and those have been dreadful games for us.

Our goal should be to get out of double digits on the ladder, but that might be quite a stretch. But for the first time since 2009, the team looks better than it did the year before. We have tripled the number of local players in the team from last year and we have a bit more depth than we have had in past seasons.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Our goal should be to get out of double digits on the ladder, but that might be quite a stretch. But for the first time since 2009, the team looks better than it did the year before. We have tripled the number of local players in the team from last year and we have a bit more depth than we have had in past seasons.

For the first time in living memory, the Australian conference is very strong and also fairly even. Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies all expect to be top two finishers (someone is going to get hurt, not sure who) and the Rebels and Force will have dreams of a top six this year. The Kiwi's have complained for years that their conference has cannibalised each other, now we are likely going to see that here.

Force have got a tough start with the Waratahs and Brumbies in week two and three, but two close losses and they will be battle-hardened for the next three games before the bye and might win two of those. This would mean they would be two from five with maybe two or three bonus points. That would be a great base to go on from there. This year I think they have some reason for optimism.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
am I the only one concerned with our trials? we are missing out on playing quality opposition. I watched the highlights from the first trial and it was terrible. Watch the highlights from over east and you may as well be watching Super Rugby without commentary. Ours is from ground view and you don't even see any decent play. We need to lift our game. and I don't mean the players.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hah! I'd say the same about the Rebels. We have gifted you far too many points in the last two seasons. 42% of the Rebels victories have been against the Force, and those have been dreadful games for us.

Don't 'Hah!' me my friend, I think I'm pretty fair and even weighted with my views.

There's no doubt the Force's halves pairing is miles ahead of the Rebels, as is their loose forwards as a whole. Plus, the Force are exciting. There's no doubt they have players who are going to be somebody sometime in the near future.

But if you match up the units (front 5, looseys, halves, centres, back 3) player for player, the Rebels win out overall I think.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
For what it is worth, I wasn't hahing at you; I was hahing that your opinion of the Force is my opinion of the Rebels, which I find funny. We are all struggling not to be the strugglers.

I don't agree regarding your views of the two teams though. I'd argue that our front row, back row, halves pairing and back three are better. Although, I am a big fan of a handful of your guys (like Woodward, Pyle, Jones, Higginbotham). You've recruited relatively well in the front row, but how your tighthead and hookers go is a bit up in the air.

I also think that when we both get a handful of games into the season with injuries that the Force are better able to deal with that.

I also don't know if I would describe the Force as exciting yet. Not that I don't wish it were so.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
am I the only one concerned with our trials? we are missing out on playing quality opposition. I watched the highlights from the first trial and it was terrible. Watch the highlights from over east and you may as well be watching Super Rugby without commentary. Ours is from ground view and you don't even see any decent play. We need to lift our game. and I don't mean the players.
Im not that really worried the game against the Samoans last week was just blowing out the cobwebs and for the first 30 mins was a good contest.

This week not only does our whole squad and then some get a game we are up against a team with 18 players who have international experience so I don’t think it will be a walk in the park by any means.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Where are the team sheets. How many Samoan players are actually in the normal national side
don’t know about Samoa but the pampas team has 18 internationals (apparently)
ICBC Pampas XV Squad

1 Ahualli Antonio de Chazal No.8
2 Matias Alemanno Lock
3 Rodrigo Baez Flanker TESTS
4 Bruno Rodrigo Flanker
5 Thomas Carrio Wing
6 Santiago Cordero Fullback TESTS
7 Matias Cortese Hooker TESTS
8 Thomas Cubelli Scrum half TESTS
9 Jerónimo de la Fuente Centre
10 Thomas De la Vega Flanker TESTS

11 Patricio Fernández Back TESTS
12 Santiago González Iglesias Fly Half TESTS
13 Ramiro Herrera Prop
14 Iglesias Santiago Valdez Hooker TESTS
15 Facundo Isa Flanker
16 Martin Landajo Scrum half TESTS
17 Thomas Lavanini Lock TESTS
18 Román Miralles Fullback TESTS
19 Manuel Montero Wing TESTS
20 Julian Montoya Hooker
21 Matías Moroni Center
22 Ramiro Moyano Fullback TESTS
23 Lucas Noguera Peace Prop
24 Matías Orlando Center TESTS
25 Javier Ortega Desio Flanker TESTS
26 Guido Petti Pagadizabal Lock
27 Bruno Postiglioni Prop
28 Lucas Ponce Lock
29 Tomas Ramirez Prop
30 Javier Rojas Centre TESTS

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Where are the team sheets. How many Samoan players are actually in the normal national side
i fixed the list up by my count there is 16 players who have lpayed test match rugby but the article says 18 some of the players where hard to find on goodle so i woudnt be suprised if there are another 2 like i said they will be no mugs come friday.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Well if it's the same Samoa that beat the wallabies a couple of years go I would agree but Samoa use random players all the time for games like this. Most of their top players will be playing up north now.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I've heard a few of the names in the pampas but majority have probably ran for 3 min off the bench in small games. And Argentina have ok depth what so ever so these guys are not that great. We would e better off playing a s15 team.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've heard a few of the names in the pampas but majority have probably ran for 3 min off the bench in small games. And Argentina have ok depth what so ever so these guys are not that great. We would e better off playing a s15 team.
what we want and what we can get sometimes dont always match. up in the long run i dont think it will matter that much.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I disagree. We need a bloody shit fight. We are going up against what a lot are calling the favourites of the Aus conference next week but fair enough.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Financial constraints make it what it is Shiggins. We don't have the cash to interest a better team into turning up to a preseason clash and to go away to one costs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.