• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trooper Mark Donaldson, VC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...1231608946055.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

... Trooper Mark Donaldson, 29, from Newcastle, a Special Air Service soldier ... was presented the award for his rescue of a wounded Afghani interpreter from heavy fire in Oruzgan Province in Afghanistan in September. ...

Well played that man. Shiny bits of metal are only the smallest part of what you blokes actually achieve there for the people now free of the Regime Of The Bearded Fuckwit aka The Taliban. Serious respect there - its not something I could never do.

R

rugbywhisperer

naza said:
He's a rugby man too - quel surprise !

My sons choofs off over there in March - just a little bit of pride and chest swelling here. They all deserve a great big hooray. Great lot of lads also.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
rugbywhisperer said:
naza said:
He's a rugby man too - quel surprise !

My sons choofs off over there in March - just a little bit of pride and chest swelling here. They all deserve a great big hooray. Great lot of lads also.

All the best to your boys RW.

I'm glad Donaldson got some formal recognition in the opening of Parliament this year. His acts went beyond that of normal duty in a situation that was highly comprised. Formal training and all that may have got him there but a bit of heart and real courage is what got him this honour..

What is also great to know is that not all the brave and extraordinary acts are formally recognised but they do occur wfrequently. So NTA don't count yourself out of the picture of ever pulling off the heroic.

R

rugbywhisperer

My son and I were discussing the award and we found it very surprising that they actually identified him and showed his face. SAS chappies are not normally identified in the media so we surmise his days as an SAS operative could be well and truly on hold for a considerable time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Or he's about to become a private contractor.

The only other thing close to recognition for the SAS recently was the chook working with the US 10th Mountain in Afghanistan earlier in the campaign. He wrote a book called "18 hours" (the length of time they were pinned in the valley) and to the credit of both SAS blokes involved and the leadership of the veterans in the 10th, they didn't lose a man that whole time. Worth a read.

ACT Crusader said:
So NTA don't count yourself out of the picture of ever pulling off the heroic.

Can I skip the bit where I get shot at?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
My son and I were discussing the award and we found it very surprising that they actually identified him and showed his face. SAS chappies are not normally identified in the media so we surmise his days as an SAS operative could be well and truly on hold for a considerable time.

Donaldson's frontline soldiering days would appear to be over.
VC kiss of death for SAS trooper Mark Donaldson's frontline hopes
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25014935-601,00.html

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's the way it goes.

And its kind of hypocritical really - the Army and SAS in particular are a bit miffed with the blokes who leave for the private contract money, yet one of their best and brightest is happy to re-tour and isn't allowed because they made a PR exercise out of the bloke!

Status
Not open for further replies.