• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TYS Wallaby Player of the Year

Do you want progressive updates or wait until the end of the season?

• Progressive updates after each set of tests.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until the end of the Tri Nations for the overall results.

• Just update it after every test!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, Scarf e-mailed me last night looking for the results of the Wallaby Player of the Year.

My thinking was that I would hold off on announcing the official votes until the end of next year's tri nations (using the same voting period as the John Eales Medal) and release the winner, Brownlow Medal style.

However, this being some form of democracy, I am more than happy to announce the formal results more regularly. So its up to you. Vote and/or plead your case and I will oblige.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe we could have a big award following the same period as the John Eales, but also add sub components for the June home tests, tri-nations and EOYT?

Would be interesting to see the top three, and who (we believe) performs the most consistently over the year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, I'll keep you in suspense.

But the winner of the Player of the Tour is pretty surprising!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My chairman's vote goes to making it a calendar year award. The 08 squad friom Ireland to Baabaas was an evolving entity, but makes sense as a thing.

An award that runs - when? - From AIs to end of Tris, seems to me to be an odd sort of entity.

But if that opinion is not shared - especially by Noddy - then no worries.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
mate, at PR, we did the calendar year thing and it makes sense.

But the ARU do it like this for the John Eales Medal.

But you know what? I reckon the calendar year does make more sense.

So I shall release the results soon.

F

formeropenside

are we going to email the winner and let him know he's won the coveted gong?

Whats the prize? A night out with the Scarf team? A perpetual cup, in hard-wearing porcelain?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, first the methodology.

So everyone who could be bothered picking, picked a 3-2-1 for each test. This obviously resulted in a variety of players getting points each test. At the end of each voting period (ie when the votes had stopped coming in), I simply added up all the votes and the player with the most votes got 3 points, the 2nd highest tally got 2 and the 3rd highest got 1. So that?s the 3-2-1 for the test.

So let?s go:

v New Zealand (Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong) 1st November, 2008

WallabiesAdam Ashley-Cooper, Peter Hynes, Ryan Cross, Stirling Mortlock [C], Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, George Smith, Dean Mumm, Nathan Sharpe, Mark Chisolm, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Replacements: Berrick Barnes, Matt Dunning, David Pocock, Phil Waugh.

New Zealand 19 (Sitiveni Sivivatu, Richie McCaw tries; Dan Carter 3 pg) defeated Australia 14 (Drew Mitchell 2 tries; Matt Giteau 2 conv)

3 ? Luke Burgess
2 ? Benn Robinson
1 ? Dean Mumm

Luke_Burgess_against_ABs_in_HK_(Large)_thumbnail_image.JPG

v Italy (Stadio Euganeo, Padova) 8th November, 2008

Wallabies Adam Ashley-Cooper, Lachlan Turner, Stirling Mortlock [C], Timana Tahu, Digby Ione, Berrick Barnes, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, Phil Waugh, Dean Mumm, Hugh McMeniman, Mark Chisolm, Matt Dunning, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Replacements: : Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu, Wycliffe Palu, David Pocock, Matt Giteau, Quade Cooper, James O'Connor.

Australia 30 (Lachlan Turner, Quade Cooper tries; Matt Giteau conv, 5 pg; Stirling Mortlock pg) defeated Italy 20 (Mirco Bergamasco try; Andrea Marcato 2 pg, dg; Luciano Orquera 2 pg))

3 ? Dean Mumm
2 ? Ben Alexander
1 ? Richard Brown

Dean_Mumm_vs_Italy_(Large)_thumbnail_image.JPG

v England (Twickenham, London) 15th November, 2008

Wallabies Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell, Ryan Cross, Stirling Mortlock [C], Peter Hynes, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, George Smith, Hugh McMeniman, Nathan Sharpe, Mark Chisolm, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. . Replacements: : Tatafu Polota-Nau, Wycliffe Palu, Dean Mumm.

Australia 28 (Adam Ashley-Cooper try; Matt Giteau conv, 6 pg; Stirling Mortlock pg)) defeated England 14 (Nick Easter try; Danny Cipriani 2 pg; Delon Armitage dg)

3 ? Al Baxter
2 ? Stephen Moore
1 ? Nathan Sharpe

Australia_Scrum_thumbnail_image_2.jpg

v France (Stade de France, Paris) 22nd November, 2008

Wallabies Drew Mitchell, Digby Ione, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Stirling Mortlock [c], Peter Hynes, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Wycliffe Palu, George Smith, Dean Mumm, Nathan Sharpe, Hugh McMeniman, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Replacements: : Sekope Kepu, Mark Chisolm, Sam Cordingly, Quade Cooper.

Australia 18 (Stephen Moore, Peter Hynes tries; Matt Giteau conv, 2 pg) defeated France 13 (Penalty Try; David Skrela conv, pg; Maxime Medard dg)

3 ? Matt Giteau
2 ? Stirling Mortlock
1 ? Nathan Sharpe

83789019_10_thumbnail_image.jpg

v Wales (Millennium Stadium, Cardiff) 29th November, 2008

Wallabies Drew Mitchell, Digby Ione, Ryan Cross, Stirling Mortlock [c], Peter Hynes, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, Phil Waugh, Hugh McMeniman, Nathan Sharpe, Mark Chisolm, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Replacements: : Adam Freier, Quade Cooper, Dean Mumm, George Smith, Lote Tuqiri.

Wales 21 (Shane Williams, Lee Byrne tries; Stephen Jones conv, 2 pg, dg) defeated Australia 18 (Digby Ione, Mark Chisolm tries; Matt Giteau conv, pg, dg)

3 ? Luke Burgess
2 ? Digby Ione
1 ? Mark Chisolm

images

So, the final placings are as such:

1st = Luke Burgess (6)
2nd = Dean Mumm (4)
3rd Al Baxter & Matt Giteau (3)
5th = Benn Robinson, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Nathan Sharpe, Stirling Mortlock & Digby Ione (2)
11th Richard Brown & Mark Chisolm (1)

Here?s an image of Luke Burgess being awarded his prize, a Golden Scarf, by the PM.

600x400-LCS-LukeBurgess1-600x400.jpg

Ok, so that's that. We will start of a fresh next season, with the first test being v Italy in Canberra in June. Cheers!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I recall giving LB negative marks for one test. Methodology needs reviewing.

But seriously, thanks Noddy, it's a great idea, the inaugural season of many Golden Scarves.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scarfman said:

to be honest I used my discretion to ignore silly votes like negatives and even 2-1-1-1-1-1 type votes.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Noddy said:
Scarfman said:

to be honest I used my discretion to ignore silly votes like negatives and even 2-1-1-1-1-1 type votes.

As long as you are dishing out 6 points why is that silly?

Status
Not open for further replies.