• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
NSW 9 outplayed by Nelson. Brums 12 miles ahead of NSW 12. Both Sydney kids….

Saunders looked dangerous but didn’t get enough ball. Is he normally a Winger? I’d be tempted to see him at 15.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
What a game. I have no clue as to why the Tahs didn't kick the ball out on like 3 separate occasions to close the game but it might be because of the ref's clock. Olly Schmude is a real talent, @The Ghost of Raelene didn't he play 2nds for Joeys aswell? If so awesome to see him make his way into the Tahs program. Agreed that Saunders should have played 15. Staniforth is another one lost to the Brumbies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The underage talent coming through gives me hope for the future and hopefully the links to the Super teams will accelerate their development.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah but our sides have gone pretty well in the last few years against multiple opponents

EDIT: I'm referring to both the 18's and 20's when I talk about results

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
NSW 9 outplayed by Nelson. Brums 12 miles ahead of NSW 12. Both Sydney kids….

Saunders looked dangerous but didn’t get enough ball. Is he normally a Winger? I’d be tempted to see him at 15.

Phillipson (force 9) is a New South Welshmen too and he was the best player on the park in a dominant win, and was also Aussie Schoolboys behind Nelson... We have lost our 2 best halfbacks to other clubs.

Sagala (13) outplayed his counterpart too (Barker and Gordon), as did the fullback Staniforth (Kings and Two-Blues product)...

A lot of the Brumbies best players are NSW products.

Saunders plays 13, fullback and wing.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d be moving Cailol the 13 to 12 and Saunders to 13. He’s wasted on the Wing.

Well done to the Brumbies 19s and Force getting the sweep over the Rebels. Might be bias but performance of the day is the NSW 16s. Miles above their opponents. Wait to see them v QLD.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just watched the mini, what a bloody game! Angus Staniforth reminded me alot of when Kellaway 1st got out of school footy but a bit bigger. Hope he gets some time of the bench for the brums next yr. Barret needs to play against men this pushing unders around is not good for his development.

Called it about the Rebs think this yr isnt our strongest & we were missing I think 3 players that would walk in.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Why was the Tahs hooker so unpopular? Is there history?

Firstly, he is a Barker boy, and there was A LOT of Barker on the field (4 for ACT and 3 for NSW), so some of it stems from there. Pure competitiveness between long time teammates.

Secondly, Oniti Finau is arguably the best player in the age group (outside of Jorgensen, Barrett and Katoa who is now playing league), so probably just trying to get into his head. It clearly worked with 3 handling errors in the first half. Not Finau's best half to say the least.

I think he also put a bit of a target on his back with how he historically gets quite lippy at scrum time, which you would have seen on the field.

But no "history" as such.

warriorsdiehard444

Frank Row (1)
Some 'questionable' selections and perhaps favoritism from the Syd Uni & NSW coach towards his own in that pack.
Agreed, some selections were clearly made to prioritise players within the 'gen blue' academy as well as Sydney uni players. the back row was lackluster to say the least. Both #6 and #7 were unnoticeable around the breakdown, with players like Jack Barrett stepping up and rewarding his team with turnovers. Ben distaso needs to start. He's shown throughout the club season he's dangerous over the ball and fronts up defensively, which was evident in his immediate impact off the bench. The #8 was impressive, but a passive flanker duo will only leave weaknesses in the defensive line, and see the opposition available to generate quick ball frequently. some better performances are needed desperately for this tahs team to have a chance at winning this competition.

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agreed, some selections were clearly made to prioritise players within the 'gen blue' academy as well as Sydney uni players. the back row was lackluster to say the least. Both #6 and #7 were unnoticeable around the breakdown, with players like Jack Barrett stepping up and rewarding his team with turnovers. Ben distaso needs to start. He's shown throughout the club season he's dangerous over the ball and fronts up defensively, which was evident in his immediate impact off the bench. The #8 was impressive, but a passive flanker duo will only leave weaknesses in the defensive line, and see the opposition available to generate quick ball frequently. some better performances are needed desperately for this tahs team to have a chance at winning this competition.
Di Staso in the back row (preferably at 7) is a must, played a couple of games in first grade for Easts this year and more than held his own. Did more in his limited minutes than the starter did all game. Along with Finau would be the best pilferer the Tahs have available for selection.

Does anyone know why Kaia Gate was not selected? Second rower for the Rats (and their only forward selection despite being premiers) and was the leading forward try scorer in the colts competition yet a Uni 2nd grade second rowers gets the start... I only hope he is injured or something?