• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

U16/U19 Competition 2023

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Someone in particular? The Rebels' hookers had trouble with their lineouts on Saturday but mainly due to the dominance of the Brumbies' jumpers and the almost gale force wind blowing throughout the game.

On the subject of Hookers in that game, I thought Cameron Johns, the Brumbies reserve, was excellent. Looks to be the big bodied, aggressive style of player we have been lamenting as missing at higher levels lately. And the rolling maul from the 22m line that presented him with a try was a beauty to behold.
Speaking of brumbies hookers, check out the kid they got playing u16’s. I reckon he’s a great little footy player. Unfortunately undersized, but he has time to make up the size given his age, and it didn’t seem to hinder him at all in the game.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Geez the basic skills of some of our best u19 players are poor, bad passes, dropped balls, kicks charged down, crooked line out throws. You wonder what sort of coaching these players have received through junior levels. Maybe centralisation is needed to provide better coaching from a young age. Interesting that the ball runners are strong, maybe it was pass it to the big kids in juniors and forget about everything else.
Could it possibly be mental and or physical fatigue?

Most of these boys played 1st XV where they played 10 games in a season for their respective schools.

Now that they’ve entered the real world where they are juggling Uni, Tafe, work, training and playing 20+ games in 1st or 2nd Colts (U20) a season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Potentially but I’d dare say a lot of them had fuller weeks mentally in year 12 than being at Uni.

If they are feeling tired at the end of a long season due to a lot of games. Good. They need to build up a base before we ask any of them to go into truly meaningful professional footy.

Could it possibly be mental and or physical fatigue?

Most of these boys played 1st XV where they played 10 games in a season for their respective schools.

Now that they’ve entered the real world where they are juggling Uni, Tafe, work, training and playing 20+ games in 1st or 2nd Colts (U20) a season.
Exactly

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Who is coaching and selecting QLD under 19 squad. Some big changes from week 1 to week 2 for them. Any idea why Finn Prass is playing for the Force and not QLD?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Who is coaching and selecting QLD under 19 squad. Some big changes from week 1 to week 2 for them. Any idea why Finn Prass is playing for the Force and not QLD?
I'm not sure why Fin Prass went to the Force, but at I guess I'd say he signed with them looking for more opportunity with Lynagh and McLaughlin-Phillips (amongst others) ahead of him at the Reds.

As far as changes go I think the Aus schoolboys games from a couple of weeks ago have had an impact on the team selection, with some of those guys playing off the bench last week and starting this week as they worked their way back into the side.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How many of the QLD 19s also played in the Schools/18s?

It all changes after that in regards to who they play for because it's into the Super Rugby sides control. It's right into the HSC now because I'd back some of those guys in NSW to be at least in the squad for the 19s. Think someone mentioned that Fakafunua had signed with the Force and he would be able to make the backline of the 19s for sure.

There is more depth than what we are watching thankfully for the Aus 20s squads sake.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Fin Prass has a wonderful boot but I suspect he need to work on his game management and basic skills. Like a lot of these U19 boys. (mightn't hurt for a few older boys to do the same.)

farrellybros

Frank Row (1)
How many of the QLD 19s also played in the Schools/18s?

It all changes after that in regards to who they play for because it's into the Super Rugby sides control. It's right into the HSC now because I'd back some of those guys in NSW to be at least in the squad for the 19s. Think someone mentioned that Fakafunua had signed with the Force and he would be able to make the backline of the 19s for sure.

There is more depth than what we are watching thankfully for the Aus 20s squads sake.
6 of the last match day 23 - Periera, Barrett, Leota, Brosnan, Aiken & Pakeho. Plus Rubens is in the squad but currently suspended for his Red Card in the Aus 18's games (plus Goldsbrough & Trevor King would probably have made Aus 18's given they and Hadley Tonga were in the squad announcement but listed as injured)

Waratahs only have Joey Walsh from Aus 18's in their whole squad so definitely fair to say that HSC impacted their selection as you would think the likes of Goddard, Durbridge, Sharples, Jorgensen etc would all surely have got a serious look in at the selection table

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
6 of the last match day 23 - Periera, Barrett, Leota, Brosnan, Aiken & Pakeho. Plus Rubens is in the squad but currently suspended for his Red Card in the Aus 18's games (plus Goldsbrough & Trevor King would probably have made Aus 18's given they and Hadley Tonga were in the squad announcement but listed as injured)

Waratahs only have Joey Walsh from Aus 18's in their whole squad so definitely fair to say that HSC impacted their selection as you would think the likes of Goddard, Durbridge, Sharples, Jorgensen etc would all surely have got a serious look in at the selection table

Sharples especially.

The u19's Waratahs is FAR behind the standard that you would expect at this level.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Best 9 in the 19s is at the Brums. Out of Sydney Uni of course. Nice one NSW.

It's a problem position for Australia in general I think. Wilson showed good signs at the JWC but if you look around we have a lot of just ok guys having long super Rugby careers.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Teddy Wilson was our best player at the JWC I felt. I am a big believer in him as a player.

I think the second best 9 in the u19's is Doug Phillipson at the force (out of NSW too)... so really fumbled that massively there losing our 2 best in the age group.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Best 9 in the 19s is at the Brums. Out of Sydney Uni of course. Nice one NSW.

It's a problem position for Australia in general I think. Wilson showed good signs at the JWC but if you look around we have a lot of just ok guys having long super Rugby careers.
I was surprised to see Dan Nelson in the Brumbies lineup. This kid was always in the NSW system.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s one that hurts. He probably saw the potential for more opportunity. Gordon is the Tahs captain with Wilson the anointed one.

White has left, Lonergan 25 but then it’s Goddard and Thorn. Both would be on minimal deals so if you’re performing you may find yourself in the top 30. Nelson got mins for the Aus U20s last year when they beat NZ so he’d be one of the front runners for it again.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
It’s one that hurts. He probably saw the potential for more opportunity. Gordon is the Tahs captain with Wilson the anointed one.

White has left, Lonergan 25 but then it’s Goddard and Thorn. Both would be on minimal deals so if you’re performing you may find yourself in the top 30. Nelson got mins for the Aus U20s last year when they beat NZ so he’d be one of the front runners for it again.
Also play seniors in JID Cup with 6 pretty handy teams. Pathway slightly different for the ones who were not anointed.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Teddy Wilson has been playing 1st grade for Easts every time he’s not in the Tahs match day squad or Aus U20s.

It’s just when the guy a year older than you is already capped and re signed you have to think about it. He’s likely only on a development deal or a single year type thing so he could be anywhere in 2025.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Someone in particular? The Rebels' hookers had trouble with their lineouts on Saturday but mainly due to the dominance of the Brumbies' jumpers and the almost gale force wind blowing throughout the game.

On the subject of Hookers in that game, I thought Cameron Johns, the Brumbies reserve, was excellent. Looks to be the big bodied, aggressive style of player we have been lamenting as missing at higher levels lately. And the rolling maul from the 22m line that presented him with a try was a beauty to behold.
Yeah, this was in relation to Finau. But the same can be said for a lot of the hookers in the 16s & 19s - great around the park but very poor throwers. This issue then persists into Super and Test rugby.

Seems like an easy fix to me. Maybe more weight should be given to this aspect of the game in underage selections. All hookers should know they won't make the team unless they can do their primary role.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Next weekend
Round 4 of 5

Saturday
Force v Brumbies at Revo Fitness Stadium, WA

Sunday
Rebels v Reds at Box Hill Rugby Club, VIC

NSW bye
The Rebels will no longer be hosting the Reds in VIC this Sunday.

Now being played on Saturday in QLD.

It’s a representative Rugby feast at Sunnybank this weekend!

Our U16s and U19s matches against the Melbourne Rebels have been relocated to Brisbane and will kick-off at 10:30am and 12:10pm respectively, before our U15s take on New South Wales at 2:05pm.