• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What’s the deal with separated u20 comps.. couldn’t we have put these 8 teams in with the other 12 teams playing earlier in month in South Africa. Top 8 would advance?

World Rugby see these comps as primarily developmental comps so it's about maximizing games against teams closer in ability.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So Georgia is ranked ahead of Scotland?

Wow Georgia really getting screwed over in this new 6 nations/TRC super comp then.

Georgia were in it last time (2019) and finished 10th. Scotland finished 12th and got relegated. Japan were promoted for 2023 (but are then relegated again).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, as much as it may seem fun the bottom 4 teams in this would be getting done 100+ when they would have to play the winner of the Pool like a France or Ireland just gone.

The 'home nations' are really trying to wall themselves in. Scotland & Wales are much worse than Georgia & Italy at this level over the last couple of years.

It is disappointing to see the USA getting done 0/3 and Canada not even involved. Canada has been to a RWC QF before...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
And, Hong Kong China is just WR (World Rugby) making sure China is in there. It's HK and has a few Aussie boys in the side who qualify through being born there due to parents work and what not.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Georgia were in it last time (2019) and finished 10th. Scotland finished 12th and got relegated. Japan were promoted for 2023 (but are then relegated again).

Ok as long as there is relegation in the u20s comp then I am happy…

I’d rather the regional solution as opposed to the world rankings but glad to see there’s a platform being provided for next gen rugby players

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, as much as it may seem fun the bottom 4 teams in this would be getting done 100+ when they would have to play the winner of the Pool like a France or Ireland just gone.

The 'home nations' are really trying to wall themselves in. Scotland & Wales are much worse than Georgia & Italy at this level over the last couple of years.

It is disappointing to see the USA getting done 0/3 and Canada not even involved. Canada has been to a RWC QF before...

I was just thinking about world rugby funding… I know giving money to the pacific nations as shown to be a great return on investment as the super rugby outfits are lifting the talent levels

But what if we threw similar funding to china and usa way… yea they are both rich nations and justifying could be a tough sell… I’d just be interested to see what happens to these nations with a bit of extra capital behind their development sides

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm personally hopeful competitions like the MLR will help in the long run.

The Olympics have become the priority for them which means 7s receives the support.

I do like seeing big nations like Spain involved. Portugal in the RWC. Netherlands & Germany in the European comps playing some better Rugby.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm personally hopeful competitions like the MLR will help in the long run.

The Olympics have become the priority for them which means 7s receives the support.

I do like seeing big nations like Spain involved. Portugal in the RWC. Netherlands & Germany in the European comps playing some better Rugby.

I have a lot of interest in the MLR but have never seen any games on “the home of rugby : Stan”

Is it up to scratch in terms of Stan bidding on the product and showing games… looks like a NRC type level of comp

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
U20 World Rugby Trophy:
Pool A
View attachment 16997
Pool B
View attachment 16998
Think most people would have automatically thought Scotland & Samoa for top of the Pools...
USA are missing 5 or 6 of what would have been starters. But they should have handled Zimbabwe. That said, the MLR academies are beginning to produce better younger players at the U18s level so they should be competitive going forward.

Spain topping their pool isn't surprising. They've had the best juniors of the REC nations besides that of Georgia for several years now. They came close to actually winning it playing Samoa in 2016. Uruguay is a Union that has put a lot into creating pathways and systems and it shows. Both teams were clearly the better of the two in each of their games. In the case of Uruguay they were down to 14 men twice and scored tries while Scotland couldn't.

What is interesting is no Namibia this time round. Kenya as hosts qualified but Zimbabwe took the Africa slot. Should be interesting next year. If Uruguay go up then it's likely Chile from South America. If Spain assuming Scotland aren't made to qualify (which is likely) then it's an even bet between the Netherlands and Portugal for Europe.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We threw this tournament away, Uruguay 100% deserved the win and the USA should have been much closer. While we're not top 8 in the world, the boys are talented enough and get enough practical support in terms of dietitians and strength and conditioning that we shouldn't be outside the final, a lot of blame must sit with the coaching staff and whatever support or lack thereof they have brought in re: wellness and psychological assistance. People always blame the scouts and there is definitely nepotism and politics involved, but that was as reasonable a group as any beforehand, outside of the 15 & 16 squads.

I had us vs Spain in the final prior to the tournament.

Re: expansion of the main tournament, I think the top 4 here could very easily play in it without bringing the standard down, but I don't see the value for money it for WR (World Rugby). 5 gamedays is a tight but exciting tournament which doesn't need big squads to pull off, 6 ups that workload substantially without "too many" new eyeballs and a lot of additional expenses.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We threw this tournament away, Uruguay 100% deserved the win and the USA should have been much closer. While we're not top 8 in the world, the boys are talented enough and get enough practical support in terms of dietitians and strength and conditioning that we shouldn't be outside the final, a lot of blame must sit with the coaching staff and whatever support or lack thereof they have brought in re: wellness and psychological assistance. People always blame the scouts and there is definitely nepotism and politics involved, but that was as reasonable a group as any beforehand, outside of the 15 & 16 squads.

Re: expansion of the main tournament, I think the top 4 here could very easily play in it without bringing the standard down, but I don't see the value for money it for WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby). 5 gamedays is a tight but exciting tournament which doesn't need big squads to pull off, 6 ups that workload substantially without "too many" new eyeballs and a lot of additional expenses.

Well, up until 2009 it was a 16 team structure. Could always revert back to that. Or adopt a new structure. Could go with 4x4 pools with the winner of each pool going on to the Cup semi's. The 2nd placed team the Bowl, 3rd the plate and fourth the shield. With the results of those semi's used to determine final seeding games. That would keep it at 5. Or they could take the top 8 from this edition. Add 4 more to the mix to bring it to 16 and randomly draw them against the top 8 teams. Winner progress to the Cup quarters (upsets would hopefully happen) losers to a Challenger and so on until again final rankings games 1-16 are determined. 16th team is relegated. That would only mean 4 game days. They could spread them out and increase rest periods.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
And, Hong Kong China is just WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) making sure China is in there. It's HK and has a few Aussie boys in the side who qualify through being born there due to parents work and what not.

Hong Kong have had to name themselves Hong Kong China ever since the unrest in 2019. World Rugby don't care to do China any favours I couldn't imagine.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Re: expansion of the main tournament, I think the top 4 here could very easily play in it without bringing the standard down, but I don't see the value for money it for WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby). 5 gamedays is a tight but exciting tournament which doesn't need big squads to pull off, 6 ups that workload substantially without "too many" new eyeballs and a lot of additional expenses.
Worth more to add more teams to the Trophy and run 3 Pools like the World Championship and have the same structure?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Back to South Africa again this year for the under 20 world cup:

This seems like an odd decision, even South Africans on twitter don't understand it. Only reason I can see for the repeat host is that no one else wanted it.