• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Uq centenary tour - match report

Status
Not open for further replies.

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
London 5th October 2011

University of Queensland began the UK leg of their tour at Iffley Road, Oxford, home of Oxford University Rugby Club, and the scene of the first sub 4 minute mile by Roger Bannister, on 6 May 1954, in front of a crowd of around 3,000 people.

The crowd last night was in the region of 800, and what a treat the two teams served up.

The game started at a frenetic pace with UQ in the ascendency in terms of territory and possession for the first 15 minutes only to be met by resolute defence from Oxford, who managed only the odd flurry into UQ territory to be met by an equally resolute defence. The hits going in were almost brutal in their intensity, resulting in plenty turnover ball for both teams, and counter-attacking rugby. A little over exuberance led to the Oxford no. 7 being carded. Slowly but surely UQ started to dominate, and after 20 minutes from quick ruck ball, no. 10 Tom Tuffley found himself staring at a gap the width of the Brisbane River and needed no invitation to waltz through untouched under the posts, with Will Tuffley adding the extras. Oxford, as one would expect came back strongly and had UQ on the back foot for 10 minutes or so, and from a lineout rolled forward for what seemed like an inevitable score only to be thwarted by a turnover one yard out. As the ball was worked upfield, UQ originally had the ball turned over but a poor pass from Oxford, allowed centre Ryan Gilliman to pounce by kicking the ball into the goal area and win the footrace with literally inches to spare.

A solitary penalty to Oxford closed the half at 12-3

The second half was nearly a repetition of the first with UQ always looking the more dangerous. Oxford had overlap opportunities on two or three occasions but the UQ defence was well organised and seemed to have just a little more pace to enable covering tackles to be made.
With a little niggle creeping in, the Oxford captain and No.8 was carded for cynically not retreating after an offside decision. The resulting penalty was converted by Will Tuffley, who added another soon afterwards. UQ also had one of theirs in the bin but that still did not stop them adding to their tally, with 5 minutes to go (after a lengthy hold up due to a serious looking injury to one of the Oxford players) A simple dummy and miss move parted the Oxford defence like the Red Sea, enabling Ryan Gilliman to score his second, under the posts, with Will Tuffley again converting.

A consolation try right on the whistle gave Oxford some reward for their efforts. Final score 25-8

All in all a very satisfying win for UQ who had to work hard all night in a very physical and intense encounter, but who generally looked more organised. That the pace did not let up from start to finish, was a testimony to the recovery powers of the UQ squad who 48 hours earlier were literally out on their feet after they had ALLEGEDLY been to church (or is that supposed to be The Church) .
....................................................................................................

Got to say it was a great game of rugby appreciated all who were there

Westcombe Ranger

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thank you so much for this. I only get "match reports" from The Church (if you get my drift). All the same, I can see the standard of my match reports next year will need to be better...;)

I understand they won in Hong Kong too and Cambridge is in a couple of days?

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Certainly do get your drift. I'm glad you understood what I meant. Cambridge is on Saturday but I won't be there as I have to watch my own team, so the above is a one-off I'm afraid. Will try and get the score if I can.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hear that they managed a close win 22-19 over Cambridge on the weekend. The club must be very happy with the results as the last time they toured the UK they lost to both Oxford and Cambridge.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I have sketchy match reports coming in: the Cambridge game was, from all accounts, the best of the tour. Yes, hard fought, but the combinations started to gel. It's easy to forget that although they come from the same club the touring party came from all 4 grades and Colts players. Of these tourists, a fair few played in GFs on the Sunday before flying out Monday and playing in Hong Komg on the Tuesday. Depth in certain positions would've been an issue: for just one example, our original hookers slated to tour were Chibba Hanson & Halley Appleby.

I'm really proud of their results, and I'm even more proud of the way the boys have pulled together this year

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://uqrugby.com/index.php?page=425&ssid=425&mid=2

End of year tour summary

UQRFC 2011 Centenary Tour
The Red Heavies have returned from a hugely successful UK Tour which included wins over both Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Travelling with two teams, the tour commenced with warm-up matches in Hong Kong before heading to the UK.
Oxford University was the first match, with the UQ players clearly earning the respect of the home supporters through some tough running rugby. Despite the 2nd team narrowly losing 22-19, the UQ 1st team came out and outplayed the home team, running out 25-8. Captain and Lock, Tim Buchanan, was a standout for UQ, along with Ryan Gilliman (outside-centre) and Will Tuffley (Fullback).
Next stop was Cambridge University, and at last the tourists were met with some typical English weather – cold, wet, and windy. The UQ 2nd team were defeated 40-7 but the 1st team again rose to the challenge to take the match 22-19. Tom Tuffley (5/8th), Cam Goddard (breakaway), and Will Thompson (half-back) were standouts for the Red Heavies.
The tour was to commemorate the centenary year for the UQ Rugby Club, and was a player driven project lead by club captain Daniel Purcell.
UQ Rugby Club would like to thank Oxford and Cambridge Universities for their outstanding hospitality.

Tour match results:
Tuesday 27th Sept
· Kowloon RUC 22 defeated UQRFC 2nd team 10
Wednesday 28th Sept
· UQRFC 1st team 12 drew with Hong Kong Football Club 12
Tuesday 4th October
· UQRFC 1st team 25 defeated Oxford University 8
· Oxford University 22 defeated UQRFC 2nd team 19
Saturday 8th October
· UQRFC 1st team 22 defeated Cambridge University 19
· Cambridge University 40 defeated UQRFC 2nd team 7

Status