• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

USA launches professional rugby competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Has former Eagle, Tom Coolican headed "home" for this competition?

Not seen his name in the Shute Shield Team lists for Sydney Uni so far.

Yeah. He's playing out of San Francisco. There's also another former Shute Shield player in Harry Bennett has signed on with Sacramento. The Batger brothers are also over there playing for the Santa Monica Dolphins (same club as Bennett) in the Pacific Rugby Premiership.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Got to start somewhere - hope it goes well as first year competition as never easy starting a new competition

Very true. Pretty much everything seems to be set now. The squads have been training for the better part of three weeks now. Tickets are on sale and while not detailed as yet at least two locations will have local TV coverage and there will be league wide streaming available.

They've adopted a social media strategy which has appeared to developed a core interest. As the league kicks off this will likely grow further. I think the key is to get people to show up and build interest. Part of this strategy involves the full timers engaging with junior clubs etc. I know San Diego have been selling tickets through youth clubs and sharing some of the revenue with those clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They've also publicly stated they want to double the leagues size in year 2. They had issues will facility availability or suitability this year so had to forego a 6th east coast franchise. Those issues will be resolved next year evidently. So I'd expect to see a New York and Philadephia enter for sure next year with Chicago/Boston/Washington DC/Atlanta or even a Charlotte team being very possible. A Houston team could also be very possible deoending on how many Canadian squads come on line. If it's two it will definitely be Vancouver and Toronto.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
WCR, how is it you know so much about the american comp? From memory, you also wrote the article on the roar did you not?

Is your background american, are you actually posting from america?

just curious

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR, how is it you know so much about the american comp? From memory, you also wrote the article on the roar did you not?

just curious

Neither. I have had an interest in the going's on in the States for a while now. I've been active on a number of message boards based on USA Rugby and have managed to connect with a number of the Rugby media over there. To the point that I'm on a number of their mailing lists and some even know my real name.

Most of all, I know where to look. Who to harass etc.

It was via one of these guys I first learned of ProRugby back in 2014. No details were present just that there was someone/group activelty working at it. It's also how I know there are at least two other groups looking to compete with them from 2017 onwards.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

just curious

And yeah, I did write an article about it a few weeks back. Will likely doing another the week leading into the first game as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Neither. I have had an interest in the going's on in the States for a while now....... It's also how I know there are at least two other groups looking to compete with them from 2017 onwards.

"Competing with" doesn't sound promising for the good of the game, any chance one or both of the other parties are bluffing for a piece of the action & will end up "working with" PRO for the greater good? Or is that just too in-American to hope for?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Neither. I have had an interest in the going's on in the States for a while now. I've been active on a number of message boards based on USA Rugby and have managed to connect with a number of the Rugby media over there. To the point that I'm on a number of their mailing lists and some even know my real name.

Most of all, I know where to look. Who to harass etc.

It was via one of these guys I first learned of ProRugby back in 2014. No details were present just that there was someone/group activelty working at it. It's also how I know there are at least two other groups looking to compete with them from 2017 onwards.

Respect. You deserve serious rugby kudos for that. Watching your updates closely.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
"Competing with" doesn't sound promising for the good of the game, any chance one or both of the other parties are bluffing for a piece of the action & will end up "working with" PRO for the greater good? Or is that just too in-American to hope for?

ProRugby's ace in the hole is their USA and World Rugby sanctioning. Which while not essential makes life a lot easier. A lot still has to go right for these other two groups to be even to the stage of announcing anything. I suspect one might be United World Sports (the group that runs the Las Vegas leg of the 7s World Series) and their Super 7s concept. Basically think 7s played over an hour time period using 12 min quarters and unlimited interchange.

Another possibility might be American Rugby Sevens. They ran a proof of concept 7s event last year that involved both the wider US and Canada 7s squads plus argentina and a couple of elite Olympic Development Academy squads.

Nothing has been seen from either in a while but that's not to say its not possible.

In terms of 15s. The American Rugby Championship concept developed by Moore Sports (was featured on The Rugby Club. They also organised the MLB games in Sydney) may be a possibility. RugbyLaw and the NRFL are essentially out of the running at present.

I think apart from the sanctioning agreement stating they had to get something up in 2016, the possibility of other competitors emerging is driving ProRugby. I'd still say these other groups have a less than 50% chance of getting anywhere.

The general consensus in the States is that multiple competitors is a positive thing. That it will end in a single unified league emerging. We'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.